Spotting Scope Angled or Straight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spotting Scope Angled or Straight?

For the guys that use a spotting scope frequently, do y'all like having the straight or the angled eye piece better? Perks of one over the other? Primary purpose for it is going to be hunting out West, elk, muleys, pronghorn etc... will be a while before purchasing so just in the research stage of things. Been using a pair of 10x42 steiners for several years and like them but they can only reach out so far before they are just good for seeing bodies and that's it. Cant tell bucks from does etc...

If you're mostly glassing steep uphill, then an angled scope would likely be more comfortable. For shallow angles up/down hill and/or flat glassing, I like a straight scope a LOT better. It's much easier for me to get on target with a straight scope as well. But it's personal preference. Other folks hate straight scopes and prefer the angled ones (for some weird reason).

Comment

Compared to most of the internet gurus, I’m in the minority...but I prefer the straight. I do all of my spotting from a tripod seated, so I really don’t have a need for an angled spotter. I think you can get on target faster with a straight spotter than angled.

Comment

My only complaint about my angled spotter is that switching from binos on a tripod to and angled spotter is difficult. A straight spotter would keep the height the same and keep me looking at the same spot.

Other tha that, angled is usually more comfy

Comment

Our military likes a straight approach
          Mission: Long range target acquisition for sniper teams

Comment

Shane hit it on the head IMHO.

if you are going to be scoping up hill at steep angles your neck will thank you for having an angled scope.

Comment

While were at it might as well ask. Anybody have a favorite lighter weight tripod they like for back packing in?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                If you're mostly glassing steep uphill, then an angled scope would likely be more comfortable. For shallow angles up/down hill and/or flat glassing, I like a straight scope a LOT better.
                I agree with the angled spotter out west if you're glassing from a prone position, but the last outfitter's spotter I looked thru uphill was a straight one on a tall tripod.

I have a straight spotter - I use it with a window mount on my truck and I have a BR tripod when at the shooting range. You can't do either of those with an angled spotter.

Comment

Hook mine up to my phone so i can view it on a screen... and record.... iscope.

but i prefer angled.

Comment

I like angled myself but have used it enough that getting on target is not hard. While sitting down, I find it more natural to lean forward to stay out of the tripod and the angled lines up better.
                    I would say that a good tripod is just as important as the spotter. I bit the bullet and bought a RRS setup for rifle and use it as well for the spotter. It is rock steady.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                      While were at it might as well ask. Anybody have a favorite lighter weight tripod they like for back packing in?
                      I have mine mounted on a rifle stock with a sling....it is a straight one.

Comment

I have a straight, and glass in West Texas, so relatively flat, I don't like it, I wish I would have gotten the angled head. Is there a way you could rent one and try each, then you could decide based on use.

If you are going to use it in a box blind then I would go straight, field use, angled.
                        Last edited by JES; 04-03-2018, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Angled gives you versatility of use. Some people also use them for star gazing or birdwatching as well. For hunting the angled scope lends more in tripod stability since you don’t have to raise the legs up as high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Find one that'll do both. I have a Kowa and a Mirador and both allow the eyepiece to swivel from 0 to 90 degrees.

cricman

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                              If you plan to do all of your glassing sitting down, I recommend the Slik Sprint Mini. It costs $65 and comes with a ball head, or you can change that out with a Slik SH-704E pan head for $40 more. I've been using one for over 10 years and I can't find a lighter weight tripod with the same features. I use it with 15x binos and a spotting scope.

With the 704E panhead, it weighs 29 oz.

Comment

Working...
                              X