Mayhaw trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mayhaw trees

ok... I have become interested in this tree... Anybody grow them? Suggestions on varieties'? experience? I'd be planting them in the North San Antonio area.

Not sure about the growing side, but the jelly from Buccees was SWEET. Almost too sweet.

Comment

I think they are usually found in swampy areas. They will need a lot of water and I am sure you will have to amend the soil to have a lower pH.

Comment

Originally posted by W-O View Post
        I think they are usually found in swampy areas. They will need a lot of water and I am sure you will have to amend the soil to have a lower pH.
        The fruit mainly grows on the side of the tree that is over water........

Comment

Phil and Kay have some in their front yard. They shook the trees and made homemade mayhaw jelly. Not sure they have to be over water but probably require more water than what TX offers.

Comment

We have acres of them at the lease. They grow in bottomland normally along rivers and sloughs. This year they are blooming like crazy so there should be lots of fruit

Comment

We have them along the bayou at my grandmas. Don't know if they would grow in Texas. But they are tasty! And the mayhaw festival is fun!

Comment

Plenty of growers in the Sabine river area... but there is a lot more water. I can put a drip line off a well to them. So water shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

The newer varieties are not as susceptible to disease as natives. We have both natives, mason super berries and a few others I can't remember the names of. Make sure you don't have any pear trees near by at they carry a fire blithe that will kill your Mayhaw trees. Oh...and they grow real slow. REAL SLOW. So patience is key when growing Mayhaw trees.

Comment

Man oh man there is nothing better on a slice of toast than my maw-maw's homemade mayhaw jelly.

Comment

I'm about to replenish the stash of mayhaw jelly.

Tmag, I'll shoot you a pm when it's ready and get you a couple of jars.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post

I'm about to replenish the stash of mayhaw jelly.

Tmag, I'll shoot you a pm when it's ready and get you a couple of jars.
                        Thanks Luke, this thread put a smile on my face thinking about the King of mayhaw jelly. I sure do miss him.

Comment

When I was a kid, we used to go to the Neches River bottom near Lufkin and seine mayhaws in the backwater on good years. They don't have to have flood, but they sure seem to bare better if they bloom in water... Old folks always used to say that if they bloom in water, they'll fall in water, and it seemed to be pretty accurate... we used to drag a sein, then dump it in an old flat-bottom boat until it wouldn't hold any more. We'd then drag it to the bank, winch it on the trailer and head home... Making mayhaw jelly on that big of a scale in your momma's kitchen is a LOT of work, but MAN, that's some gooooood jelly!!

Comment

Love me some mayhaw jelly.

Comment

It looks like a crabapple.

Comment

Working...
                              X