Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MichaelW's Africa Return, Honey Badger don't give "...." should he have & 60" KUDU???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MichaelW's Africa Return, Honey Badger don't give "...." should he have & 60" KUDU???

All,

I recently returned from my second hunt with Dries Visser Safaris in South Africa. I had the time of my life and would like to share it with you. Much like the first time, I would like to share each day’s hunt with you with both pictures and video. Again, I don’t plan to stretch it out for eternity, but time permitting, just add a little each day until I share it all with you. I had an amazing experience on the first trip and was pleasantly surprised to have my expectations on this trip not only met, but exceeded far and above what I could have imagined.

Dries Visser Safaris specializes in bow hunting and has offered the trip of a lifetime….twice!

Before we get started, I just wanted to dispel a few rumors or misconceptions. If you have any interest or desire to hunt in Africa, do not let any “Africa elitist” discourage you or tell you that you cannot have an enjoyable and sporting hunt in South Africa. As in everything else, there are good apples and bad apples. Above all else, do the research and pick a reputable outfitter. Specifically, look for one that owns or has access to large hunting properties and concessions. This will allow you to not only view mature bulls or rams, etc., you are seeking, but witness younger immature growing males, as well as cows, calves and even newborn animals in a natural environment amongst the variety of wildlife that coexist.

There is nothing more enjoyable than trying to get drawn on a feeding baboon, or patiently watching a Zebra stand with great vigilance surveying the water only to turn around and leave for seemingly no reason. Finally, the sight of a mature kudu bull cautiously approaching and then swirling in a whirlwind exit because the wind changed will leave you on the edge of your seat yearning for more.

Comment

Awesome. I'm looking forward to reading this over the next week or so. Bring it on.

Comment

I'm in

Comment

I think you shoulda been an outdoor writer instead of a Marshal! Can't wait to see the pics and write up.

Comment

For this hunt, I would be staying at Dries main camp the majority of the time. I also had the pleasure of staying with my PH Anthony Lotter at his home a couple of evenings.

Here's the view driving into the main camp as well as a few views around the operation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	approach to camp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	24110240

Name:	view 1.jpg
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	24110241

Name:	view 2.jpg
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	24110242

I stayed in a different room this time. Here's a view of my lodging.

Name:	my lodge.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	24110243

A welcoming and very comfortable bed.

Name:	my bed.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	24110244

A personal welcome letter on the nightstand next to the bed.

Name:	personal letter.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	24110245

Finnaly, a 2012 Dries Visser brochure laying on the desk of the room. It was cool for me because it featured my Nyala from 2010!!!!

Name:	brochure.JPG
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	24110246

Comment

In, looking forward for the rest

Comment

In! Bring it

Comment

Nice! it looks familiar.

Comment

Anthony Lotter was my PH again and I couldn't wait to spend the week with him. We had such a good time together the first time around and an even better one this time. You really get to know a guy when you spend 10-12 hours a day hunting together...and without a doubt, he's as good as they come! He's one heck of a hunting guide and now a great friend!

The first morning found us hunting over a waterhole. Anthony had also placed a few small piles of alfalfa around for any approaching animals. As the morning began to warm up, we had a few impala began circling around in the distance. After some time, we had two good ones come in. After several draw backs and let downs, I finally had one hold a still position long enough to let loose an arrow that had been ready to go since the day I left two years ago....

Settling the pin...

Name:	DSC00680ed.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	24110257

Name:	DSC00641.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	24110258

The arrow in flight...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here. Been waiting on this MW!

Comment

bring it on!!!!! Nilla you aint got nothing with your mexico hunts against the legend MichaelW's African hunts!!!

Comment

I was all smiles after the shot. We saw the impala go down in sight.

Name:	DSC00678.jpg
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	24110266

Name:	DSC00692.jpg
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	24110267

We got out of the blind and went to take a look at my first animal of the trip.

Name:	DSC00681.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	24110268

Name:	DSC00682.jpg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	24110269

Couldn't wait to put my hands on the bone...

Name:	DSC00685.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	24110270

Martinz, my tracker with a nice congratulations.

Name:	DSC00690.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	24110271

My first animal of the trip, a nice 24" Impala

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	24110272

Here's a video clip of the shot.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G28lSqA9uOI"]Short Impala Clip - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

In. Had friends go to the same camp about 2 years ago. The wife is not even a hunter and got an impala and the youngest daughter got a baboon I think. They enjoyed every bit of it and included the photo safari and all the rest. Nothing but great things to say about Dries Visser

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X