Anchoring a safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anchoring a safe

What should I use to bolt my safe to the floor? It's in my utility room with a concrete floor. I got a Canon safe recently and I don't want it walking off.

Hammer drill, masonry bit, anchors, and anchor bolts.

Comment

Drill a hole in he concrete and use wedge anchors.

Comment

I don't bolt mine down.

Mine is in a low moisture hard to get to room for kids and bad guys.

The chances of some master criminal breaking in and walking off with my 300# safe thru all of the narrow doorways and various other obstacles in my house is pretty slim.

I've never been comfortable with the idea of drilling into my slab and hitting anything of substance that could compromise the integrity of my foundation

Comment

I did build a very sturdy "cabinet" like structure around it to keep it from tipping though

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            Hammer drill, masonry bit, anchors, and anchor bolts.
            This.

Comment

I know of a feller that bought a safe and put it in his house. Some goobers broke in while he was gone and tried to get in his safe. They drilled holes around the lock, beat the handles and dial off with a sledgehammer. They never got in it and finally they flipped it over on the floor and left.

The hardwood floor was ruined and the guns inside the safe got beat up purty bad, and the safe was destroyed. I would have to say that bolting down the safe may have saved him some grief.

Comment

How much does your safe weigh? If it is light enough for two or three guys to walk away with it, i would definitely bolt it down. My Fort Knox safe weighs around 1,400 lbs so I don't have mine bolted down.

Comment

The reason for anchoring is the perps drop the safe on it's back and pop the door with pry bars. Google it. You can pop door on most safes in under 5 minutes...
                  Last edited by WTJim; 05-17-2018, 09:40 PM. Reason: Misspell

Comment

Depending on how big it is if someone is going to walk away with it you might want to unlock your house door and give them the combination!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
                      Depending on how big it is if someone is going to walk away with it you might want to unlock your house door and give them the combination!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Hahaha!!!

Comment

I drilled 2 holes through the back of mine then into a couple studs.. any disadvantage of doing that versus into your foundation?

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
                          The reason for anchoring is the perps drop the safe on it's back and pop the door with pry bars. Google it. You can pop door on most safes in under 5 minutes...
                          This. It ain't about somebody stealing the whole thing. Most safes are pretty easy to pry bar into once the things on it's back.

Comment

Some safes are unstable with the door open. Another good reason for anchors.

Comment

I got my first thermal scope the same weekend I was planning to bolt down my safe. Started walking through the house with the thermal and lo and behold the hot water line was immediately under the safe in the slab. Thermal bout paid for itself that weekend. Be careful.

Comment

Working...
                              X