Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 10-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #351
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

I requested the entire month of November off except thanksgiving and the day before it. With another defection imminent, and us being short handed, I suspect I'll be getting the bad news that my time off request has been denied. Never fear....., I still have 14 days off next month and I might get sick, cough, cough, you never know. There's the easy way to get time off (request it) and there's the hard way when, because of poor upper management and procrastination, you have to get it one way or the other (the hard way).
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #352
mww982
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel75 View Post
I requested the entire month of November off except thanksgiving and the day before it. With another defection imminent, and us being short handed, I suspect I'll be getting the bad news that my time off request has been denied. Never fear....., I still have 14 days off next month and I might get sick, cough, cough, you never know. There's the easy way to get time off (request it) and there's the hard way when, because of poor upper management and procrastination, you have to get it one way or the other (the hard way).
Where you the Police at? Only guessing by the work schedule (I have a similar one with IPD)
mww982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #353
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Sat in a transition between 15 year old planted pines and a hardwood wash. Saw a spike at 5:30 and 2 does right at dark. Closest was 43 yards. Back at it with the rain gear tomorrow AM.

Hope you get to take your time Daniel. Good luck
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #354
q-all
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atoka Co, Ok ,Grayson Co. Tx, Montana

Well if muzzleloader was open last night megatron would be dead. I got out early last night to check the big food plots I am hunting this evening, I walked up on him 30 yards away. He didn't really spook, just turned around and walked off. He is every bit as big as the pictures, he dwarfs the 170" I killed in '13.

The hunting has been great . I have a buddy hunting with me this weekend, he saw 35 deer last night and has already had a 150" 6x6 come through dogging a doe. My expectations are very high for the rest of this weekend. Things are getting right !
q-all is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #355
q-all
Ten Point

My views this evening with muzzleloader in hand.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:41 PM   #356
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

I'll bet Megatron at 30 yards really got your heart going. Not a long list of folks that have walked up on a ~200" deer. Good luck.

This was my first dawn to dusk sit of the season. Could have done without so much rain and swirling winds but I won't complain! I was in the woods. I don't like muzzle loader hunting in the rain do I decided to bow hunt today. Saw a trio of does being followed by a forked horned buck, two coyotes, a lone turkey and a half dozen grey squirrels. Nothing came within my comfortable range. Pulling out the smoke pole tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #357
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Forgot to post up some of the shooters we're after:

Old 10-25-2015, 05:39 PM   #358
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Push County Oklahoma

Sen quite a few deer this wrekend from what we can see they are not rutting or any chasing going on. Passed this one Saturday morning had him and 4 other small bucks eating rice bran and corn for 45 min. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1445809243887.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  60.4 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1445809277858.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  81.9 KBThis is a better picture of him.
arrowslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #359
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Good looking deer. Glad to see that you are seeing good bucks.

Set up about 25' up a mature pine tree over an active scrape where at least six deer and one nice buck have been frequenting over the past two weeks. Took two does this morning with the muzzle loader. They came in around 10 so I'll have meat in the freezer once I'm done processing.

It was slow going this weekend. The big boys are not out and about in our area as I can tell. The wind was my enemy on Sat and today. Swirling was wearing me out.

What was everyone else seeing this weekend?
Old 10-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #360
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Also, passed a TBH'r coming out of Tushka on the way home today. Classic red white and blue sticker on a red Ford. Who be ya?
Old 10-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #361
q-all
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
Sen quite a few deer this wrekend from what we can see they are not rutting or any chasing going on. Passed this one Saturday morning had him and 4 other small bucks eating rice bran and corn for 45 min. Attachment 751581Attachment 751582This is a better picture of him.

I commend you for passing that deer. Most wouldn't. I love seeing management like this practiced !
Old 10-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #362
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by q-all View Post
I commend you for passing that deer. Most wouldn't. I love seeing management like this practiced !
Thanks, that's the biggest deer I have ever had a chance at taking.

Iv had a few pictures of this deer earlier this summer and he just now started coming back around I feel he is a mature deer, not sure what he will score but if he gives me a shot I will probably take it. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1445949749675.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  56.5 KB

This is him back in September I believe
Old 10-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #363
rhendrix
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Headed up to pull cards, move cameras and set some mock scrapes. Will hopefully update with pictures soon.
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #364
kdarwin
Six Point

Hunt In: SE OK, Fannin/Grayson County, SE Kansas

Spent the last three days hunting. A lot of small bucks chasing doe. Seen several fresh scrapes. Had a couple more pictures of the 10 pointer. And the recent rains has really helped my food plot.
Attached Images

kdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #365
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
Thanks, that's the biggest deer I have ever had a chance at taking.

Iv had a few pictures of this deer earlier this summer and he just now started coming back around I feel he is a mature deer, not sure what he will score but if he gives me a shot I will probably take it. Attachment 751999

This is him back in September I believe

Arrowslinger, that buck looks 4 years old+ to me. Belly and deep chest.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:08 PM   #366
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarwin View Post
Spent the last three days hunting. A lot of small bucks chasing doe. Seen several fresh scrapes. Had a couple more pictures of the 10 pointer. And the recent rains has really helped my food plot.

That food plot is coming right along!
Old 10-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #367
kdarwin
Six Point

Hunt In: SE OK, Fannin/Grayson County, SE Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner Sooner View Post
That food plot is coming right along!
Finally got some rain on it. I was worried about how long the seed had set there with no moisture but I think it's going to be OK. With all the acorns on the ground not many deer are coming to my feeder and it may be while before they really start to hit the food plot.
kdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #368
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarwin View Post
Finally got some rain on it. I was worried about how long the seed had set there with no moisture but I think it's going to be OK. With all the acorns on the ground not many deer are coming to my feeder and it may be while before they really start to hit the food plot.

We've got acorns out the wazoo right now too. Going to head back up on the 14th. In dry dock until then so need some good posts, updates and pics to help me live vicariously through you boys.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:06 AM   #369
q-all
Ten Point

I hunted the past , Friday-Sunday and came back up and hunted last night.

Last Friday was incredible, 3 shooters seen, 2 looking for does. Saw close to 40 deer. Saturday was about the same. Sunday was horrible and the movement last night was horrible. I sat our largest food plot to try and see what the deer are doing . I saw 20 where I usually see close to 40. The cameras have really slowed down as well.

I am guessing acorns are the problem. I am gonna hunt mornings now starting today. In the past the morning movement has been good on these dates, gonna put a long sit in the timber on one of our better spots,

I'll keep the updates coming.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #370
rhendrix
Ten Point

Well, all I have is a couple of pictures of does in the first couple weeks of September. Nothing else on my cameras. There are acorns all over the place. I bumped several deer out of a patch of oaks walking to and from my cameras. Set up my cameras on some mock scrapes at the edge of some oaks and some thick cover on a couple of trails. Gonna start looking at the map and try to figure out what trails they are using and where they could be bedding so I can set up some stands according to the prevailing winds. I've got some spots that I'd like to hunt where I saw awesome buck sign last year, but I can't hang a stand until we get a N or NNE wind.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #371
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by q-all View Post
I hunted the past , Friday-Sunday and came back up and hunted last night.

Last Friday was incredible, 3 shooters seen, 2 looking for does. Saw close to 40 deer. Saturday was about the same. Sunday was horrible and the movement last night was horrible. I sat our largest food plot to try and see what the deer are doing . I saw 20 where I usually see close to 40. The cameras have really slowed down as well.

I am guessing acorns are the problem. I am gonna hunt mornings now starting today. In the past the morning movement has been good on these dates, gonna put a long sit in the timber on one of our better spots,

I'll keep the updates coming.

I think your approach on getting back in the timber is spot on. Right now they can probably walk a few yards from their bed to feed so if you don't go to them it will be tough sledding. The key will be to give them just enough room not to spook them. Looking forward to updates.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #372
PSE-Madman
Six Point

Hunt In: Kimble, Grayson, and Collin counties

We pounded them. Nine on the ground as of now. At the screamin eagle in divide. Have service for some odd an unknown reason. If it's not raining in the morning we are hunting. Deer are moving and some chasing going on.
PSE-Madman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2015, 11:44 PM   #373
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Heard from FIL tonight. Nothing killed and very few seen. They will be back at it next weekend.

I'm still in dry dock until the 13th.

Did get to scout Hagerman today though. (Drew Seg-C again) Saw my first shooter at 60 yards. Followed his tracks for about 300 yards and found a dandy of a spot. The count was 14 deer, ducks, turkeys and armadillos.

How did everyone do this weekend?
Old 11-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #374
rhendrix
Ten Point

Headed up to hang some stands and hunt the next five days. Gonna spend a lot of time hunting around the acorn patches trying to find that one tree that all the deer like. Wish me luck gents!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #375
arrowslinger
Ten Point

I didn't get to go over the weekend but my dad was up and saw deer movement all weekend. Had this deer show back up and we set a blind up to hopefully hunt him if he will show up in the daylight. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1446472981618.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  51.0 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1446472994454.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  51.2 KB

I think this is the same deer I had pictures of back early Aug
Old 11-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #376
Blake24
Six Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma (Daisy)

Went up this weekend very little movement haven't seen much happening yet . Headed back up this weekend hopefully there moving better. Couple new bucks on camera though Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446473847.066220.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  320.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446473861.113485.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  319.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446473872.430709.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  385.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446473882.730161.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  339.9 KB
Blake24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #377
mww982
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Michigan

I'm either heading up tonight or early in the morning to hunt the next two days. Hopefully one of the three of us that are going will get something down on the ground.
mww982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #378
Christianhuff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Oklahoma, Collin County
Default Acorns slowing it down!

Hunted this weekend and it was slow, no bucks on camera and no doe at corn piles. Tree rats were making it rain acorns!! But food plots are looking awesome!!!
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  71.1 KB
Christianhuff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #379
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I am leaving out this Friday for a three week stint in the stand! Activity has been dead since the acorns hit so I am hoping the rut will get things moving a bit!
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #380
Texfisher
Six Point

Hunt In: Grayson, SE Oklahoma

There were a couple of nice bucks taken by the muzzle loader guys on my place. I'm taking my son up on Friday and letting him hunt through the weekend then I'm on my own for the rest of the following week.
Texfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #381
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

Weather is not cooperating with my time off.....we'll see, I might head up there this Wednesday and Thursday, if not, it's looking like next Monday and Tuesday. I know here at the house, the live oak and white oak is raining down acorns, I'll bet it's gonna be the last week or so of November and early December before we see them coming back to artificial feed.
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #382
kva393
Four Point

Hunt In: Push County

Checked cameras Friday. Few good bucks showing up but only at night. New moon slated for 11/7, gonna hunt all next week. Local camera activity is starting to increase in the form of random bucks blowing past scent checking feeder spots. Good luck everyone!
kva393 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #383
rhendrix
Ten Point

Just had a shooter buck walk right to the tree line to my right, but he never came out. 5 more yards and I would've smoked him. Ugh!!!

Old 11-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #384
rhendrix
Ten Point

My view from the stand.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #385
kva393
Four Point

Man! Good luck, you're killing those of us stuck at work keep us posted it makes day go by faster!
Old 11-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #386
rhendrix
Ten Point

Default 2015 Pushmataha County Thread

No problem, the winds swirling pretty bad. Keeps switching from north to north west. Was supposed to be a south or south east wind. Kinda screwing with my set up honestly since there is a dry creek and a couple downed trees that force the deer to walk in front of me. Had a doe come out earlier in the same spot that the buck was in, she took 4 steps the turned around and high tailed it out, she never blew though. Just heard a doe blow in the direction both those deer came from a little further in the woods. I'll probably get down around 12:30 and go hang another stand on a pinch point south east of this stand.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #387
kva393
Four Point

Sounds like good strategy. Pinch points are key when bucks are seeking and not easily patterned anymore. I have been using the aerosol Tinks doe urine in white spray can since i only have one local set up and my kids' sports schedules don't care about wind direction I spray it in the trees around my stand every hour or so and have not been busted yet even with swirling winds. You can then place the can right back in your ruck and it doesn't drip or stink.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #388
rhendrix
Ten Point

Well I moved my stand closer into that pinch point. Now I'm scrambling to get my evening set up put up. Finally have a good solid south wind so I'm gonna set up on one of the trails leading to a good plot that they just tilled that's really green.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #389
rhendrix
Ten Point

So I just shot a buck at 12 yards., thought he was closer to 16-17. I think it was too high and too far back. I can't find my arrow or a drop of blood. I'm about to puke.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:31 PM   #390
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhendrix View Post
So I just shot a buck at 12 yards., thought he was closer to 16-17. I think it was too high and too far back. I can't find my arrow or a drop of blood. I'm about to puke.

That's no bueno Ron. I am sorry to hear that. Not much is worse for me than having this happen. A couple of questions if you are up for them:

1. How far did you search in his direction of travel?
2. How did he react?
3. Did you get any video?
4. I shoot one pin from 1-20 yards. Do you have more than one for these ranges?

Hope things turn for you. Prayers up.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #391
rhendrix
Ten Point

Yeah I'm physically sick right now. I set up off a field edge that I've seen deer in before, at 5:25ish I saw a flash of antler through the trees on the field edge, he was coming down the field edge scent checking I presume, all I saw was a flash of antlers and before I knew it he was in my lap.i had my bow in my hand when I noticed deer coming in around 5:00. I have a single pin tommy hogg and I had my pin set for 20, I attempted to aim low, my guess was he was at 16 yards, when I shot I swear I heard a thwack, there was no donkey kick or nothing, he just darted, I waited until about 5:45 to look for my arrow, I never went down the trail he went down for fear of bumping him. No video to speak of, even if I had my arm out and camera on, he came in so fast I wouldn't have had time to do anything. I shouldn't have shot, I don't know why I did, big bucks make you do stupid crap that you no better than to do. Ugh! I'm just praying now that I either find the arrow in the morning and it's a clean miss or it has some blood on it and I can track or at least grid search for him. I think the pressure of being on public land and finally seeing a buck that is be proud to shoot got the best of me. Please Lord, please let this have a good outcome and I either find the deer or discover that I completely missed.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:01 PM   #392
q-all
Ten Point

Ron,

I know this situation all to well. I have made more mistakes on big deer then anyone I know. You need to slow down and try to think back.

Was the deer broadside?

If not was he quartering to? Away?

If you heard a thwack you hit him, I have had double lunged shot deer and no bood for 50 or so yards.

I have also shot bucks this time year they don't even act like there hit because there adrenaline is already so high.

You made a good choice backing out. You will have a long night playing the situation over and over in your mind. Try to think back in ur minds eye to exactly where the arrow hit. A lot of times this different then where u intially think the arrow impacted.

Best of luck to you in the morning and keep us updated .
Old 11-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #393
kva393
Four Point

Ron,

Hope you already found it, but if not always remember:

1) Deer even after shot tend to revert back to major "deer trails" and travelling where they know. I'd follow every deer trail i could looking for your arrow and any sign. if the buck was big enough you may get lucky and pick up his track.
2) Deer that are hit back in the body tend to bed down quick when not pushed and usually head towards water. I've found more than one deer laying dead in small creeks.
3) although early, sometimes even blue jays will sit above dead deer and make a racket.

Good luck!!! Wish we were up there to help out.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #394
rhendrix
Ten Point

He was either broadside or slightly quartered to me. I can't find my arrow or a drop of blood. I'm currently grid searching hoping I find something.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #395
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kva393 View Post
Ron,

Hope you already found it, but if not always remember:

1) Deer even after shot tend to revert back to major "deer trails" and travelling where they know. I'd follow every deer trail i could looking for your arrow and any sign. if the buck was big enough you may get lucky and pick up his track.

2) Deer that are hit back in the body tend to bed down quick when not pushed and usually head towards water. I've found more than one deer laying dead in small creeks.

3) although early, sometimes even blue jays will sit above dead deer and make a racket.

Good luck!!! Wish we were up there to help out.

Good points made here.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #396
rhendrix
Ten Point

Default 2015 Pushmataha County Thread

I've followed every deer trail I can find and grid searched within a half mile of the direction he went. I either cleaned missed him and I just buried my arrow in the dirt or (more than likely) I buried my arrow in his back and it never exited. Either way, I have yet to pick up a drop of blood or guts or any sign of my arrow whatsoever. I've replayed the shot in my head a bunch and if he was at 12 yards and I aimed with my 20 yard pin at the bottom third of his chest, then with him jumping the string some, I should've hit him high and I know I got him back some because I couldn't get him to stop so I shot at him while he was moving. Honestly this is the dumbest shot I've ever taken at a deer. I know better than to take a shot at a moving deer, let alone a nice buck. And I now know the biggest disadvantage to a single pin sight that I was afraid would cost me a deer just might have, will probably remount my 5 pin sight for next week and keep a 10 yard pin. Lots of hard lessons learned yesterday. I'm going to be beating myself up until I can get back up here and hunt on the 11th. The forecast for tomorrow is lots of rain, and my little Kia Sorento can't get up most of the roads if there any muddier than they already are. In the meantime, I set up a camera on a trail that I know lots of deer pour into that field on, I'm hoping I'll get a shot of him on camera. I'm about to go check the area north of where I shot him where there's a pond and see if I can find anything around there, if I can't, I'll likely hang another camera and pack up and go home. This has been pretty humbling and will definitely affect what I think is an ethical shot in the future.

Last edited by rhendrix; 11-04-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #397
rhendrix
Ten Point

I think I can officially say I either wounded him or straight up missed.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #398
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
I think I can officially say I either wounded him or straight up missed.
I hate to hear that Hopefully it was a miss and with the rut heating up you may get another shot
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #399
rhendrix
Ten Point

Really hoping I catch him on one of my cameras so I can put my mind at ease some.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:39 AM   #400
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Really hoping I catch him on one of my cameras so I can put my mind at ease some.

This.

And as we saw last year with Q it does happen.

Here's my view in this:
1. You are hours and hours from your hunting ground.
2. Hunting ground is public.
3. You scout and read the property and sign correctly to locate your sets.
4. You prepare and control your scent effectively to put yourself within extremely close range of a shooter.
5. You are patient
6. The buck is on you quickly and you rush the shot.

I hate it that you did not harvest this deer but in points 1-5 you did what many others couldn't or were unwilling to put forth the diligence, attention to detail and effort to do.

Hoping you get closure in this before the end of the season.