Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 08-26-2015, 10:59 PM   #201
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by B G View Post
Hoping to get in about 4 about 20-30 yards square. Most of them in areas that have been cleared to bare dirt by the hogs. Not going to be anything fancy at all this year with it being so late in the year and it the first year to have the lease. I'll be taking my weed eater with the tiller attachment just in case I need it.

Justin Seed has their Fall Food Plot blend $19.00/50 lbs. and I'll grab some Arrow leaf clover to mix in with it.

Put a camera up on our small pond last time I was up, set to take video. Can't wait to pull that card, also want to see if the protein blocks and rice bran had any activity.

But we have to put some pressure on those hogs so I'm hoping for a shot or two while I'm there. Maybe MWW982 and I can take out a few.

I'm in on those plots. Hope you have some good ground to work with. Ours is rocks on top of rocks with what possibly was dirt at some point in time. Tough sledding.

Good luck on the hogs. They are wiley boogers up in this neck of the woods.

We will be back up second weekend of Sept to put our plots in. Praying for rain.
Booner Sooner is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2015, 11:26 PM   #202
mww982
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas, Michigan

We have some decent spots but there is a lot of rock in the ground. Going to spend the next month prepping for deer and hopefully KAP or two in the mean time.

For you guys that have been hunting this area in the past have you had any issues with bears taking out or destroying your ground blinds? I know and have experienced one destroying my feeder as seen by a previous post.
mww982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2015, 07:17 AM   #203
q-all
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atoka Co, Ok ,Grayson Co. Tx, Montana

Quote:
Hoping to get in about 4 about 20-30 yards square. Most of them in areas that have been cleared to bare dirt by the hogs. Not going to be anything fancy at all this year with it being so late in the year and it the first year to have the lease. I'll be taking my weed eater with the tiller attachment just in case I need it.

Justin Seed has their Fall Food Plot blend $19.00/50 lbs. and I'll grab some Arrow leaf clover to mix in with it.

Put a camera up on our small pond last time I was up, set to take video. Can't wait to pull that card, also want to see if the protein blocks and rice bran had any activity.

But we have to put some pressure on those hogs so I'm hoping for a shot or two while I'm there. Maybe MWW982 and I can take out a few.

Good luck on the pig killing!

What's harder on the food plots then anything planting early is when we get a few days of rain then none at all. As long the seeds don't germinate then they are fine in the ground until we get a little bit of consistent rain (like once a week) we were in the same boat as well at first with the really rocky ground but after a few years it has gotten much better.

I bet you will have some action on that camera on water .. The deer seem to consistently visit those little watering holes a few times throughout the day in my experience . We actually have sets on a few them and have had luck hand Corning around the bank.
q-all is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2015, 08:38 AM   #204
PSE-Madman
Six Point

Hunt In: Kimble, Grayson, and Collin counties

we have had little luck with plots at our place. lots of rocks.
PSE-Madman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #205
PSE-Madman
Six Point

i use the justin seed at my place here in collin county though and love it. its a far better deal than the throw and grow crap at academy. much cheeper as well. We do not plant until the first week of october though each year.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #206
Blake24
Six Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma (Daisy)

Haven't been on here in awhile been trying to catch up on what everyone's been talking about. Those are some great bucks q-all !!
Blake24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2015, 06:28 PM   #207
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River Co. Texas

The deer have all but disappeared and there are bear everywhere. Actually seen one Friday evening while out corning some roads. They are doing some heavy logging on the surrounding places so I think that has all the bear pushed onto our place, I'm sure that has pushed our deer out.
arrowslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2015, 07:29 PM   #208
PSE-Madman
Six Point

several of the guys on our place went up last weekend and said they saw deer everywhere. even said they saw a couple shooters while filling feeders. we don't have anything ready to log on our place for at least another five years. the short pines (12-20') are the most productive spots on our place. we don't mess with the river bottoms as much now that we have them patterned.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:30 PM   #209
PSE-Madman
Six Point

Also we just now filled feeders and set cameras. I expect to see some bears on camera this year. anyone wanna buy a bear hunt from me? I'll sell it cheap. i hate the dang things.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:30 PM   #210
arrowslinger
Ten Point

We seen plenty deer while out riding around but our hand corn spots where we have been getting pictures have slowed WAY down. We don't have any cameras on feeders. There have been a couple shooters seen on the roads pretty regularly. Our best spot is in some short pines where it transitions into oaks back to pines.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:28 PM   #211
mww982
Six Point

In the shorter pines are you stand hunting or ground blind hunting? We were up Saturday and Monday to get some work done. Got a couple stands hung and checked cameras. Had a couple shooters and saw at least 20 deer coming and going from the lease. The deer were hitting the rice bran right after I put it out and the hogs that we had been seeing around the corn didn't really touch it. I am thinking of scrapping the corn and just putting out rice bran on the ground or in tube feeders. Has anyone had any luck using the tube feeders with rice bran or does it just clump up or should I mix it with protein?
Old 09-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #212
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mww982 View Post
In the shorter pines are you stand hunting or ground blind hunting? We were up Saturday and Monday to get some work done. Got a couple stands hung and checked cameras. Had a couple shooters and saw at least 20 deer coming and going from the lease. The deer were hitting the rice bran right after I put it out and the hogs that we had been seeing around the corn didn't really touch it. I am thinking of scrapping the corn and just putting out rice bran on the ground or in tube feeders. Has anyone had any luck using the tube feeders with rice bran or does it just clump up or should I mix it with protein?
We are using both. Tripods also.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #213
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Another lease member sent me this!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #214
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post

That's motivating. Is he known? You guys seen this one before?
Old 09-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #215
q-all
Ten Point

Quote:

Great deer slinger, r your fellow leasemates forthcoming on his location ?
Old 09-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #216
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner Sooner View Post
That's motivating. Is he known? You guys seen this one before?
We think he is a new deer. He looks young in this picture but hard to age at that angle.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #217
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by q-all View Post
Great deer slinger, r your fellow leasemates forthcoming on his location ?
Yes we share pictures and locations. We all have designated "areas" that our ours to hunt and nobody hunts someone else's location without permission.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:21 AM   #218
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes we share pictures and locations. We all have designated "areas" that our ours to hunt and nobody hunts someone else's location without permission.

"...and nobody hunts someone else's location without permission." Except the locals, that is.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:22 AM   #219
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
"...and nobody hunts someone else's location without permission." Except the locals, that is.
And the logging crews lol
Old 09-02-2015, 07:23 AM   #220
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

It takes a village..... to keep all the nice, maturing stud bucks killed off way before their prime.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #221
PSE-Madman
Six Point

great bucks.

also we use tripods in the short cut pines. also have some pop up blinds.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #222
rhendrix
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Finally on my way to my hunting grounds with trail cameras in tow, some mineral licks and some throw and grow and a rake. Updates to follow!
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #223
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhendrix View Post
Finally on my way to my hunting grounds with trail cameras in tow, some mineral licks and some throw and grow and a rake. Updates to follow!

In!
Old 09-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #224
rhendrix
Ten Point

Default 2015 Pushmataha County Thread

Let the scouting begin!
Old 09-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #225
rhendrix
Ten Point

Camera 1:
Set up on a well traveled game trail where three different trails intersect. There's a pond to the south that has lots of tracks around it. There's also a bunch of bedding areas south of that. I saw a bunch of runs in the area last year. I couldn't find any scat, which sucks. I did find a doe skeleton though that was stripped but not bleached, so I know deer still use it. Should've brought a snare to trap a 'yote, but I'm not sure if that's legal. I haven't hunted here long enough to know if deer move into this area as hunting pressure increases, but I hung a camera and set up the mineral site and threw a whole bag of throw and grow. We'll see what happens, my biggest concern is that I'm back at the end of October and there's a ton of deer around, but I still can't figure out a way to get in and out without blowing all the deer out (pretty much what I did every single time I hunted the area last year).

Here's a view from the camera;

A pic of my camera about 10' up, hopefully that'll deter anyone from messing with it:

About to head out to set up the next camera...updates to follow.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #226
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Looking good, Ron. That entrance and exit strategy is a concern. How far back is your hunting area?
Old 09-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #227
rhendrix
Ten Point

Camera 2:
Set it up on well used trail that is north of a food plot with a lot of bedding areas around it. Still no scat, kinda crazy honestly, cause I know deer poop, just couldn't find any. Set up the mineral lick and threw more throw and grow. Best part about this area is that there are multiple trees to hang a stand from depending on the wind, just gotta figure out what trail they use to get in and out of the area.

Here's a pic from the camera angle, the brow liquid on the ground is the mineral lick:
Old 09-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #228
rhendrix
Ten Point

Quote:
Looking good, Ron. That entrance and exit strategy is a concern. How far back is your hunting area?

Its almost two miles. There's a ridge on both sides, I ran outta time but when I go back up I'll probably try to bush whack my way to the ridge and pop over so I'm not walking in on a game trail.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #229
q-all
Ten Point

Looks great ... I agree with 100%.. I believe the most important thing in hanging a new set is access... Over the years I have seen a stark difference in mature buck sightings from the stands that are cleanly accessible and the stands that are tucked in somewhere that u risk blowing deer out as u access..

Keep us updated when u check ur cams
Old 09-03-2015, 11:58 PM   #230
B G
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas, Pushmataha OK

Got these screen shots off of the videos taken at the pond. Looks like a few decent bucks coming through. Downside is that we didn't get but a few videos on the bigger bucks. Had some 3-5 pointers come in multiple times.
B G is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #231
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

They look healthy BG.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #232
Guns_up
Four Point

Hunt In: Pushmataha Co, Ok

Heading up this weekend with the wife nd do some final prep work. Hope to post pics when I get back.
Guns_up is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2015, 10:09 PM   #233
B G
Six Point

Old 09-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #234
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Any age guess on him. 41/2 by this picture?
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #235
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hard to tell from this angle. Judging from the legs to body size I'd go a little younger than that.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #236
B G
Six Point

I would say 3 1/2 based on the body. Would like to see his head a little better. He should really be something next year! Impressive!
Old 09-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #237
Christianhuff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Oklahoma, Collin County
Default First good buck

First good deer on camera, planting plots next weekend. Not best pic, but it's in a field that we are planting this weekend and the camera is on the edge.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  49.9 KB
Christianhuff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2015, 10:47 PM   #238
q-all
Ten Point

That's a good one Christian!

The rain chances for look good for next week. I was at our ranch from yesterday thru this evening .

It was a productful weekend. We went ahead and planted 10 acres in the irrigated field and started watering it.. Hopefully we can get the rest in by Tuesday. I also did some more scouting and found a prime stand location on a natural funnel that leads away from our winter peas plot.. Went ahead and hung the set, threw some corn out, and set a camera.. We will see what happens.

Checked cameras as well. All the big ones are still accounted for and have now shed velvet. It's gonna be a good year!

The first 2 pics of are a buck we call batman .. He is 5 this year and definitely makes the shooter list, I was wondering when he would show back up. The other 2 deer are g1 and spike..

Old 09-06-2015, 12:03 AM   #239
arrowslinger
Ten Point

I think your right he's young, he will get a pass for sure. He looks like a 31/2 here. Will be a stud in 2 years
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2015, 12:09 AM   #240
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Love to see those bucks shedding velvet!
Old 09-06-2015, 10:01 PM   #241
B G
Six Point

Has anyone had luck using Mock Scrapes in the area?
Old 09-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #242
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Has anyone had luck using Mock Scrapes in the area?

Tried them several times over the past few years B G with no significant impact that I could see. (I may not be doing it quite right or in the right places though)

Have had better luck using scent wicks that I put out when I first get into the stand and remove when I leave.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #243
mww982
Six Point

I'm going to experiment with doing a couple of them and see what happens. Never tried them before and had researching them over the past few weeks. I like the idea of them for areas where I don't want to put feeders.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #244
B G
Six Point

We lost another feeder this past month. Have a bear on video walking towards the feeder with a hog under the feeder. Don't know what happened after that as it was only a 10 second clip. Next video is more that 12 hours later and the feeder is on the ground with sections of legs everywhere. Would have liked to have seen what happened with the bear walking up to the hog but the stealth cam didn't think it important or it was just out of trigger range.

Last edited by B G; 09-07-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #245
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

And another one bites the dust. Sorry to see that BG.

Are you sure that's a pig under the feeder? Could it be a cub? I ask because I can't imagine a hog letting a bear get that close.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #246
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

And another one bites the dust. Sorry to see that BG.

Are you sure that's a pig under the feeder? Could it be a cub? I ask because I can't imagine a hog letting a bear get that close.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #247
B G
Six Point

It's a pig. I've watched that video enough. Large ears, long swishy tail, mud line almost to his back. I was amazed that the bear got that close to him also. I've got picks of them running when a bear comes out of the woods.

Last edited by B G; 09-07-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #248
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Very cool. Never would have thought. Two annoying species eating your corn. I have the same.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:42 AM   #249
B G
Six Point

Here is the video Booner.

https://youtu.be/9uUbt7UhmYg
Old 09-08-2015, 04:45 AM   #250
mww982
Six Point

Shouldn't you be working BG and not playing on the interwebs?