Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use a scraper blade on their tractor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can’t really remember what your road was like but if it’s mostly dirt with small rocks, you should be fine with a angle blade. I do remember some boulders on top of the hill. So just stay off the top of the hill.

Comment

double blade box grader (land plane, road boss, whatever....)

I bought mine at Kubota for about a $1,000 and it works great.

Comment

For the cost of that blade you may be better off to hire out the ditch work

Comment

I still irrigate with canals, we call blades “the push” down here. You can buy them in good working condition at auctions for 2500, sometimes 1500 back in the day, once you switch to poly pipe irrigation its not as important your skill level, pushing canals takes on its own art form

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
            For the cost of that blade you may be better off to hire out the ditch work
            6,100' of driveway. I got a bid that was 55,000 (build up road with new ditch dirt and top with road base)

And another guy bid 11k just to use his blade to dig ditches and build the road with that dirt..and install culvert pipes that I buy separate.

Too many people moving to San Saba and paying anything for fences, clearing, and road work. They all say they are swamped busy. It's great for them but I don't want to pay that much for a driveway. I'd rather keep it so-so myself.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              Drop the tines down and break dirt needing to be remove from ditch line and then use box to remove the broken up dirt.

You will need hydraulic down force to just cut a ditch with a blade.
              So a blade without hydraulic down force angled 30 degrees to the side and then angled back won't dig a ditch?

That's for all the replies. They are helping as I know what to google and look for.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                I bought one of these. It works real well.

https://idigtexas.com/product/cammon...-quick-attach/
                I suggest one of these, I have one on a skid steer and it works great.

Comment

Tim, you can also get a land plane with rippers, but it won't move much dirt at one pass. Box blade would be better for that. You may need more than one attachment. Maybe a box blade with rippers for cutting the ditch, then a blade to drag it upon the road bed, then a land plane to finish it.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                    I suggest one of these, I have one on a skid steer and it works great.
                    that's just a land plane. Yes they will work for dragging (or in your case, pushing) a road bed, but it has no provision for digging a ditch.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      that's just a land plane. Yes they will work for dragging (or in your case, pushing) a road bed, but it has no provision for digging a ditch.

Sorry little groggy this morning and didn’t pay attention to the OP needing to dig ditches. It wouldn’t work very well for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do yourself a favor and get a drag behind blade with wheels and a tilt function. Add weights to it if it’s light take off. It will contour the ground and float much better than a 3 pt that moves every time the tractor hits a hole.

Comment

This is one I built from a old D6 blade. I have since added short 2ft wings on each side to help carry more dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

An angle blade will clean ditches just like you said with a good angle and drop the lead point a bit. It makes a difference on how good are heavy the blade is of course. It is also good for keeping a crown in your road over the years to keep the water off the road. I can do good with a box blade also but i like my angle blade at times, you can roll the ditch dirt up to build a crowned road and then add gravel. To get the humps out i found going backwards with box blade will work, other wise like you said the tires just follow the ups and downs. Good luck.

Comment

that grader blade you showed will work for digging the ditches on the side
                              tilt the blade and it will roll the dirt to the road. i would plow up the dirt on the sides get it worked up and disced up nice let the grass die and rot a bit then you can work it good once it’s nice and mellow. the tilting blade works nice to pull the dirt out of where you want the dirt a box blade will do it to but you’ll have a lot more back and forth. you can turn the whole blade around and drag the dirt it smoothed out nice that way.

Comment

Tim- for maintenance you might be interested in this custom road drag my dad makes.
                                Made huge difference in our roads. He builds them in Coleman, and lives in brownwood

Comment

Working...
                                X