CDL Tips??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDL Tips??

Anyone have any tips for getting a class A CDL?? About to start the process and Ive heard it is getting harder than it used to be.

It's more inconvenient than it is hard. If there are any "CDL Help" places left around, call them. They know the routes the different offices use, and they will have a truck/trailer to make it easy to take the driving test. It was always worth it to us to use them, but I don't know if there are any still around.

When you get the book, study it until you can pass all the little mini tests at the end of each sections, they are questions inside a box to test what you retained. I didn't have any trouble with any of the written, but I had a working knowledge of air brakes. If you don't know how they function, I could see how that could trip someone up.

Comment

It’s not bad, study the book pretty well and you’ll get it.

Comment

Air brakes tripped me up first go around . Know all ins and outs and you’ll get. I wasn’t told till my second trip that on the parallel you are actually allotted one (or two?) pull ups. No sweat and watch out for curbs.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
          Air brakes tripped me up first go around . Know all ins and outs and you’ll get. I wasn’t told till my second trip that on the parallel you are actually allotted one (or two?) pull ups. No sweat and watch out for curbs.
          ha ya my buddy said its actually better to not complete the Parallel parking than to hit the curb lol.. He said hitting the curb is a fail but if you dont coplete it it is just a few points deducted..

Comment

Don't drink and drive.

Comment

Use to be that the pre-trip inspection was the most important part of the test.
              I would learn how to do a proper DOT pre-trip inspection. If you have access to a truck to practice that numerous times if you can. Point out the components that you are inspecting.

Spend a little extra time in the air brake section of the book as well.

I let my med card expire last fall so my info is probably dated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My DPS tester was on her cell phone the whole trip, I hit a curb pulling out of the parking lot. Passed
                My buddy is a much better driver failed because he couldn’t remember what to say at RR crossing... a lot of it depends on the tester.

Comment

I have heard that you have to go to a school now, that you can't just take the written and driving anymore. Not sure if that's entirely true or not. One of my guys has signed up for it, and he is the one that told me. We have several going so I'm assuming it's true but I know what assuming means.

Comment

I’ve had mine for 15 years so glad I don’t have to do it these days, it was much easier back then. My advice would be to drive with a buddy as much as you can so he can familiarize you with truck, brakes, logs and etc.

Comment

I haven't completed mine, I started the process as a position I was applying for required a Class A, no airbrake. (I didn't get the position). I was hoping to show that I had the ability to pass, I had several years driving military vehicles. My learners permit expires sometime this month.

Medical card was a breeze, @$100 at Concentra getting felt-up.

The drivers license office wait was bad, tests were simple. I've heard the pre-trip inspections are the worst part, and that you won't know why you failed.

Comment

Seems the pre-trip is where most people get failed now days. You might message Stolle on here because he just went through this a couple months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick bow View Post
                          I’ve had mine for 15 years so glad I don’t have to do it these days, it was much easier back then. My advice would be to drive with a buddy as much as you can so he can familiarize you with truck, brakes, logs and etc.

Its a whole different ball game now than it was 15-20 years ago, lots of buzz words and phrases they want to hear to the appropriate time etc.

study the book
                          watch youtube for pointers
                          practice your pre-trip

Comment

Judging by some guys in the plant, all you do is ask for a license. It doesn’t even have to be in English.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just got mine in December and the pre trip is definitely the hardest part. If you actually study the books the written tests are not bad. I have heard that after February some kind of formal training is required but not sure how true that is. Should be able to find everything you need on the dps website. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me since I just went through it not long ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X