No announcement yet.

Real deer hunting cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have grandkids! Then it doesn't really matter anymore to Nana. Nana this gun is for Michael. Oh ok no problem. Nana we need to get the mule fixed so everone can ride around. Oh ok no problem.
    You get the idea
    Your home free!

Comment

I see my hunting costs the same as a vacation.

Comment

I feel like I pay all that money to stay sane... without the getaway the city and corporate job would eat me up! If I can afford it I’m going to hunt and raise my kids in it!

Comment

I spend about $550 a year on hunting. Are you online tonight honey?

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
            Deer hunting is cheap.

I've never spent a penny on feed.
            I've never spent a penny on a trail cam.
            Have had my stands for 30 + years.
            I hunt in whatever clothes I happen to be wearing.
            I've owned two 4 wheelers. Bought them used, kept them several years and sold them for more than I paid for them.
            The last time I was on a lease was almost 30 years ago(I hunt on land we develop/build, land I own or public land).
            I bought a lifetime hunting/fishing license a long time ago.
            Have a bunch of guns that I would own whether I hunted or not.

Basically the only thing I spend money on for hunting these days is fuel to get there and back, vacuum bags for cutting them up, Permanon, and arrows/broad heads/ammunition every few years.

I do need a new bow. I'll get one next year. I'm not looking forward to dropping that kind of coin on a stick and a string, but I figure that bow should last me 10-15 years and that's about how long I'll last if I'm lucky.

We live in a different part of the world apparently

Comment

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post
              It doesn't have to be expensive. I pay $1750 year round with 6 large lakes. 5 people on a thousand acres in Mills County. And spend about a grand on fuel and food.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
              Finding a decent lease for under $10 per acre is not common.

And most people don't add in deer corn, protein, attractants like blocks, trail cameras, feeders, batteries, deer blinds. where or what they stay in, electricity, water, what they use to get around the ranch (that comes with all sorts of costs), .... This list could go on forever..like panels to keep hogs or cows away from feeders, fixing the camper or house.

I left out hunting supplies and work/labor on purpose. Some people like the work and you'll need the hunting supplies if you lease, hunt public, or do a day hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                Finding a decent lease for under $10 per acre is not common.

And most people don't add in deer corn, protein, attractants like blocks, trail cameras, feeders, batteries, deer blinds. where or what they stay in, electricity, water, what they use to get around the ranch (that comes with all sorts of costs), .... This list could go on forever..like panels to keep hogs or cows away from feeders, fixing the camper or house.

I left out hunting supplies and work/labor on purpose. Some people like the work and you'll need the hunting supplies if you lease, hunt public, or do a day hunt.
                Not if you already own Them

Comment

I don't spend a lot on hunting. I do spend a lot of money on hunting-related stuff though. I have a great lease that isn't cheap. It's loaded with critters. I can't eat everything I need to kill every year. I give away a lot of venison to friends who need help. I take friends hunting when I know they need meat and/or if I know they need some time away from life's stresses to hang out with God and talk to somebody. I get to spend some precious time in the woods with my aging dad while we hunt. I get to make some lifelong memories with my son while we're hunting. And bringing home some free range organic grass-fed venison from God's grocery store for my own freezer is pretty awesome too.

I absolutely love to hunt, so it's money well-spent for me. I spend a lot more on it now than I used to, but I probably spend a smaller percentage of my income on it now (5% or less). It's not hurting my finances. I spend a lot of time doing it too - and that's more valuable than money. What I get from all of the time and money in return is priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post
                    It doesn't have to be expensive. I pay $1750 year round with 6 large lakes. 5 people on a thousand acres in Mills County. And spend about a grand on fuel and food.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
                    Only a grand on food and fuel? You don’t go to the lease very much or live very close to camp. How much for corn?

Comment

Reminded me of when I shot a big bull nilgai, for free on my buddies place. After the 900dollars for the mount, 600 bucks for a new, bigger freezer, and 800 bucks at the meatmarket... my wife was like, free huh lol

Comment

If it’s your passion no need to worry about the cost . You only live once and life is short go enjoy what you love .

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
                          I ain’t never seen an armored car backed up to a grave. Who will spend your money when you pass on? I’m gonna hunt as long as I am able. You have to have some quality of life. Do what “pleases you” while you can, as long as you don’t put your family in jeopardy. My attitude has changed since I was diagnosed with prostate surgery, had a hip replaced, and am scheduled for heart surgery next month. And, I am going to the lease with my son and grandson next week and plan to spend as much time in a stand as my wore out old butt will stand it. Cheers
                          This right here. After four heart attacks and a couple of other brushes with disaster I know for a fact you gotta enjoy each day.
                          We have a 230 acre ranch and I have a lease. If I have to work til the day I die to pay for all of I will still enjoy it.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
                            We live in a different part of the world apparently
                            True.

Comment

I hunt three different places and it’s nice to be able to do that. It doesn’t take much figuring though to know that I could give one of them up and go to T4 Exotics 2/3 times a year for what I spend on that particular place. This may be the year I give that place up......

Comment

It’s not a cheap hobby and it’s not for everybody. I do think what has become considered as “must haves” for Texas hunting is pretty ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                                X