Help starting food plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help starting food plot

I want to make my first food plot this year. I am putting it on my 7 acres and the plot will be pretty small (less than half an acre). The spot was mainly unmowed grass and some briars so I mowed it down. Is there and easy way to "rake" the grass that is mowed before I disk it or does that matter. Also should I try to plant a spring food plot (cowpeas maybe?) or just get it ready for a good winter plot. Below is a quick shot of where I am thinking. Thanks for any help guys.
    Last edited by JAP; 08-09-2011, 08:39 AM.

I would just disk it really great then you can drag it to catch any surafce stuff and pull it off... I'm planting spring stuff..Might as well if I were you and its cheap...

Comment

Looking back, you would have been better off killing the grass with some sort of weed killer, then disc it in once it was dead.....but go ahead and disc it but the grass will grow and may take over the food that you are trying to plant...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
        Looking back, you would have been better off killing the grass with some sort of weed killer, then disc it in once it was dead.....but go ahead and disc it but the grass will grow and may take over the food that you are trying to plant...
        we had to disk our 4 acre plot about 5 times to get some good soil coming up and to get rid of the grass

Comment

That is why I was debating on a spring plot and just keep it disced up all summer to get rid of the weeds. But I will disk it up and see how bad it is and decide to plant spring stuff or not. Thanks guys!

Comment

spray it ,burn it, disk it, plant it.

Comment

Working...
            X