Food Plot Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Plot Question

I own a small (47 acres) piece of property outside of Palestine in Anderson County. There is a pipeline that runs through the property, Otherwise it is very thick in cover. Is it worth planting a spring food plot, or should I hold off and plant one in the fall to help slow deer down?

If I was you I would go ahead and put in a spring foodplot. First, it will give you a chance to prep the ground so that it will be less work in the fall. It will also get the deer used to coming to a foodplot. Plus it will give them some needed protein (if you plant something like cowpeas) during the antler growing season.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
      If I was you I would go ahead and put in a spring foodplot. First, it will give you a chance to prep the ground so that it will be less work in the fall. It will also get the deer used to coming to a foodplot. Plus it will give them some needed protein (if you plant something like cowpeas) during the antler growing season.

x2. Spring food plots in East Texas are much more important than fall plots for the deer as the summers are harder on the deer than the winters.

br

Comment

Thanks for the info. Is late April -early May to late to plant? What is a good fall food plot for this area?

Comment

Most feed stores will stock a spring deer plot seed blend. I like the spring blend that you can get from East Texas Seed Company in Tyler. It consists of Iron and Clay cowpeas, soybeans, and Alyce clover. I have had good luck with it. I am probably going up there next Monday to get me some to have ready to plant whenever we get more than a three day break in the rain....

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
            Thanks for the info. Is late April -early May to late to plant? What is a good fall food plot for this area?
            Don't want to plant until after easter anyway so no thats not to late.

Comment

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the info!

Comment

If you havent had one go ahead a get a soil test done. Check you PH and other important needs your soil may have. Texas A&M on line. Well worth your money to make sure you don't waste money.

Comment

After you plant the food plot it would be a great idea to "soften" up the edge of the pipeline (if you can). I would go in and start cutting down any trash trees and allow brush species like american beauty berry and others to take their place. This will make deer feel alot more confident in using your foodplot and thus improve the usage.

Comment

Iron and Clay cow peas are pretty hard to beat.

Comment

Working...
                    X