Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boiling trap help

Hey guys,
    I'm brand new to trapping. Want to try some dirt hole set traps. I just bought traps from F&T Trapping. Question: do I need to boil? Can someone give me a step by step process of what to do? Thank you!

Yes you need to boil them. Go take some bark from some oak trees and boil hat wil them. It will also turn your traps black as well. Good luck, Inreally use to love to trap!

Comment

You need to remove the oil from the traps and boiling is traditionally the way to do it.
      Pecan or walnut hulls in the water with the traps will darken the traps, too.
      It will take a lot of hulls.
      There is also commercially available trap dyes.
      I've heard mixed results from the speed dip that uses gasoline or similar for a dilutant.
      Some say it works fine and others say the gasoline smell stays on the traps for a long time.
      Personally, I'm leery of it, but if I did happen to use it, I would sure want the traps air out for a long time, meaning several months.

Comment

People here prefer speed dip or logwood dye?

Comment

if your trapping coons and small game u don't need to but fox cyyotes bobcat u need to we always use trap dye

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
            You need to remove the oil from the traps and boiling is traditionally the way to do it.
            Pecan or walnut hulls in the water with the traps will darken the traps, too.
            It will take a lot of hulls.
            There is also commercially available trap dyes.
            I've heard mixed results from the speed dip that uses gasoline or similar for a dilutant.
            Some say it works fine and others say the gasoline smell stays on the traps for a long time.
            Personally, I'm leery of it, but if I did happen to use it, I would sure want the traps air out for a long time, meaning several months.
            I used Speed Dip this year and my catch rate was down, so I put a video camera on a cpl of sets and the yotes were smelling something so I had to re boil and wax

Comment

Every trapper does things different..

On new traps I just take them down to the local car wash and power wash them, then use them for a season job, if they get bloody or contaminated I will power wash them again.

When the job / season is a wrap I will power wash again then dye / wax and hang up..

If your close to the DFW area you can come out and I'll walk you through some sets and scent lessons, I have taken quite a few guys from TBH and spent hours on the phone with some of them over the years and even a taken a couple Wardens.
              Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 03-30-2017, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X