Student Loans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Loans

Why in the world are you able to take 2 online classes at a junior college, get more than enough Pell grant to pay for the classes and your books, and still take out $4700 in student loans per semester. Crazy that people are leaving junior college with $30,000+ in student loan debt. No wonder student loan debt is through the roof in America!!

That's crazy for juco.

My wife left ttu with 180k. She left with her pharD but still holy cow. Took us 4.5 yrs to pay off completely but sending that last payment felt so good!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
      That's crazy for juco.

My wife left ttu with 180k. She left with her pharD but still holy cow. Took us 4.5 yrs to pay off completely but sending that last payment felt so good!!!!
      To pay off that amount in 4.5 years is seriously impressive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow!!

that's crazy for juco.

My wife left ttu with 180k. She left with her phard but still holy cow. Took us 4.5 yrs to pay off completely but sending that last payment felt so good!!!!

Comment

That's crazy for juco.

I only had about 30k, but I know how you feel about that last payment. Like the noose was taken off your neck! We celebrated for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
            Why in the world are you able to take 2 online classes at a junior college, get more than enough Pell grant to pay for the classes and your books, and still take out $4700 in student loans per semester. Crazy that people are leaving junior college with $30,000+ in student loan debt. No wonder student loan debt is through the roof in America!!
            Sounds like an issue with the person borrowing. 4700 a semester in loans is enough to pay for a regular university tuition. Some people would rather take the loans out then work a part time job, but then complain about the debt.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
              I always wondered about those select few "students" who suddenly disappeared shortly into the semester. Sometimes we'd see them in town a week or so later with an awesome tan (in January). And yes, several of them were somehow always allowed back in, only to brag about their last vacation while planning the next one.

Comment

That's crazy for juco.

How did you guys pay that off in 4.5 years? Would love to finish paying my house in 4.5 please share

Comment

Originally posted by Azzy View Post
                  How did you guys pay that off in 4.5 years? Would love to finish paying my house in 4.5 please share
                  I am going to bet it involves lots of ham sandwiches, tuna fish, keystone light, and two good paying jobs.

Comment

Student loans are being abused like a lot of other things. The sad part is that we the tax payers will probably end up paying for a bunch of those

Comment

Originally posted by lwelch70 View Post
                      To pay off that amount in 4.5 years is seriously impressive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
                      He had to have meant 45 years, not 4.5.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                        I am going to bet it involves lots of ham sandwiches, tuna fish, keystone light, and two good paying jobs.
                        That's it.

We'd pay over 4K per month to them. There's no trick or anything, just making a budget and not doing anything except a few well thought out vacations.

Honestly we followed dave Ramsey's approach. Sallie Mae had all the loans rolled into one. We MADE them split them, SM didn't want to do it, and started with the lowest. Paying minimums on all but the smallest. Rolling up the payment each time till we paid one off. Till we were paying 4K to only one and watching that balance DROP.

It was a lot of discipline but now we are free of them.

Comment

And let me say, it was not easy in the least. There were several times where we really wanted to do something but just couldn't.

Comment

And let me say, it was not easy in the least. There were several times where we really wanted to do something but just couldn't.
                            I applaud you for staying the course. That is a heck of a accomplishment.

Comment

And we had our first kid during this time. So tak on daycare costs too.

Comment

Working...
                              X