22 Magnum (WMR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22 Magnum (WMR)

At 50 yards or closer, would you need to shoot a bobcat in the head to kill it quickly, or could you shoot it behind the shoulder and be just as lethal? Thanks!!

It would do fine behind the shoulder.

Comment

i agree

Comment

At 50 yards I'd try to get him in the head or neck. He might drop on the spot with a behind the shoulder shot but he also might run a ways. I'd say it could go either way. What bullets are you shooting?

I hit one at 90-95 yards in the body with a 40 grain HP and he took it like a champ. Didn't know where the shot came from and ran towards me,sat down and my second shot went through both eyes. A head shot dumps them in a hurry.
        Last edited by okrattler; 02-02-2018, 11:50 AM.

Comment

30 grain v max in the shoulder area.

Comment

Crushed a big grey fox behind the shoulder with my 22 WMR, dropped him. Granted, a good size bobcat is a lot thicker but 22 WMR with a 40 gr CCI is pretty waspy in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Head. I have lost 2 under 50 yards with body shots. The ones that I recovered didn't die near fast enough. Nothing quite like a wounded cat a few yards away from you a t night. In the head, they are DRT. Same with coyotes.

Comment

Remember, if a critter is thought to have rabies, DO NOT shoot it in the head! They need the head for testing. I know that's not the original question but a reminder on this never hurts

As far as shot placement, the only one I've shot was a Texas heart shot with a .22 Hornet

Comment

I'm a headshootin' fool, to many non-recoveries from shoulder shooting, I've shot a truckload over the years. I shoot all varmints in the head even with the .22 hornet or .222.

Comment

Trouble is not with whether it's lethal or not. That 22 WMR will be a pass thru anywhere you hit a bobcat... But cat's don't bleed very well with all that soft fur... I shot one "a little back" with a .223 in my Contender... he ran off and I crawled in the thick brush on hands and knees "KNOWING" he was dead because I "KNEW" I'd hit him good right behind the shoulders... After about 20 minutes of crawling around in the brush... found him VERY MUCH alive and all bowed up at me growling about 20 feet from my face... .223 to the head finished him... After it was all over and got him drug back out to the road, it hit me just how dangerous that was and how "stupid" I was to go crawling in there after him like that...

Comment

If you have a shotgun that'd be even better. A load of #4 buckshot would do one in within 50 yards.

Comment

I like the neck shot forward or broad side . I switched to the 17hmr soft points , really works well for me.

Comment

i second the shotgun. we started carrying a street sweeper for the contests. get yourself some of the hornady BB 1.5 oz coyote magnum loads. we have killed bobcats and fox up to 50 yards... DRT. dropped in their tracks and didn't even kick. i'm thoroughly impressed with those rounds. Use a modified choke as the box recommends, a full choke causes a wide spread pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_Man View Post
                            i second the shotgun. we started carrying a street sweeper for the contests. get yourself some of the hornady BB 1.5 oz coyote magnum loads. we have killed bobcats and fox up to 50 yards... DRT. dropped in their tracks and didn't even kick. i'm thoroughly impressed with those rounds. Use a modified choke as the box recommends, a full choke causes a wide spread pattern.
                            Yep that's what a buddy of mine uses is the Hornady Heavyweight Coyote. I've shot buckshot in states where it's legal and always prefer #4 buck over 00 buck. In Oklahoma we can't shoot larger than BB so I use Winchester Varmint X 3" BB and it does well out of my Dead Coyote choke.

Comment

75 under 22wmr over 75 17HMR that’s my decision on which I’m grabbing.

Comment

Working...
                              X