Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice..

A little background first..

I was born and raised in Houston. I left when I was 22 to join the Navy, after four years my wife (girlfriend at the time) moved to here home state of Arizona and went to school. After finishing our degrees, we moved to Houston because I had a great opportunity to work for my old man and to potentially take over the family business one day.

Now to the issue..

I have been back and working for about 3.5 years, and am really just not happy. Not so much with the job, because I like my job, in the end I see a job as a job. But, in all honesty I kinda miss all of the things I got to do in Arizona, the hunting (cheaper), the hiking, camping, snowboarding, etc. and Houston just isn't the same. Its overly disgusting now, and I really don't want to raise a child here... Well after talking to my wife, we have decided to go back to AZ this upcoming summer. I haven't told my dad yet, I actually fear doing it, one thing I have always hated doing was letting him down. On top of all of this, my first child/his first grandson was born two months ago... I am putting off telling him until after the deer season because I really don't know what to say yet. Any advice on how to break this to him would be great...

Is it the kind of business your dad could sell and retire to AZ to be near his grandkids?

Comment

Truth

The fact that he is your dad he should understand. Yeah it will hurt but he should always want what is best for you. I wouldn't hold it in. You never know what tomorrow holds. Take a hunting trip with him and talk. Speak the truth exactly how you feel.

Good luck

Comment

Telling him exactly the way you said it to us would be the best way to tell him.

Comment

I would think being honest & sharing straight from the heart your dad would be supportive of what’s in the best interest for you, your wife & child. I would think he would recognize potential future issues if you felt forced to stay when not happy & not wanting to raise your child in the Houston area. Just my .02 cents. Best of luck & hope everything works out okay

Comment

The sooner you tell him the sooner he can find a qualified replacement. Help him find someone that will do a great job.

Comment

Man, that's a tough one. Personally, if my kids were gonna move across the country and take my grandkid out of my everyday life so they'd have better access to hiking, I'd be crushed. There are plenty of great places outside of Houston to raise a kid. I can assure you that AZ has it's own problems, because every place does. On the other hand, you gotta do what is best for you and your family.

If you "have a job" within the family business, that's one thing. If you are vital to the operations of the family business, then you need to make sure that any transition is smooth and planned out and doesn't put your Dad in a bind. If your Dad has planned his future based on the fact that you were the future of the business, then your decision could make him have to reevaluate his plans. Whatever the case, take him to lunch and talk to him about it sooner rather than later. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                Telling him exactly the way you said it to us would be the best way to tell him.
                This! I bet you will be surprised how happy he will be for you!

Comment

I hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    Man, that's a tough one. Personally, if my kids were gonna move across the country and take my grandkid out of my everyday life so they'd have better access to hiking, I'd be crushed. There are plenty of great places outside of Houston to raise a kid. I can assure you that AZ has it's own problems, because every place does. On the other hand, you gotta do what is best for you and your family.

If you "have a job" within the family business, that's one thing. If you are vital to the operations of the family business, then you need to make sure that any transition is smooth and planned out and doesn't put your Dad in a bind. If your Dad has planned his future based on the fact that you were the future of the business, then your decision could make him have to reevaluate his plans. Whatever the case, take him to lunch and talk to him about it sooner rather than later. Good luck.
                    x2!

But family means everything to me. So I am staying in the country close to my parents and in laws.

Texan born and not leaving here

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                      Truth

The fact that he is your dad he should understand. Yeah it will hurt but he should always want what is best for you. I wouldn't hold it in. You never know what tomorrow holds. Take a hunting trip with him and talk. Speak the truth exactly how you feel.

Good luck
                      Agree with Anderson
                      Share a hunting outing with your dad and talk things out. Mention to him how good the outdoors hunting in AZ is and can be (especially if he has never hunted out state ). Speak of all the good things there, ask him whatmhis,plans or for retirement. Ask him "let's do fishing hunting trip to AZ ). Ask him how he feels if you move back there.
                      I know what you mean about Houston not very good place at present for outdoor adventures, I too lived here most my life. Marines corp, deployment and California college. I now enjoy going out state for my hunts and adventurous trips...New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Arkansas etc.... so much fun

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                        x2!

But family means everything to me. So I am staying in the country close to my parents and in laws.

Texan born and not leaving here

Depends on the relationship you have with your dad.
                        I was blessed to have a wonderful dad who cherished his kids and grandkids.
                        I would not have moved away unless I absolutely had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Boy, this hits close to home. From the other side though.
                          I'm happy for Chris and the opportunity he had to take advantage of, but as Curt said, It has made me rethink my plans for the future.

Also as said, the sooner the better if this what you have decided.

Comment

Only you and your family can figure it out.

With that said, my wife and I have great relationships with both sets of our parents. We live in semi close proximity to both. Just my opinion, but I grew up with grandparents that lived short driving distances away and we got to spend a lot of time with them. I didn't realize it back then, but that time spent with them was valuable to my life.

I guess what I'm trying to say is your parents won't be around forever. Our parents are in the their late sixties. I couldn't image moving away from them right now just because we want a change of scenery. Sure, work and career situations are completely different. I get that.

Obviously, everyone's situations are different and not everyone has a good relationship with their parents as well. There's really no right or wrong answer.

Comment

Are you living YOUR life for you or for your father?

Comment

Working...
                              X