What's a good buck in Junction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a good buck in Junction?

We just got a new place to hunt this year about 10 miles north of Juction. We have two bucks that look to be mature and possibly in the middle 130s.

Here is the question/s?

This is 200 acres, low fence, no protein. What are some of you area hunters seeing being the average good buck? Upper end potential and whatnot? Is a 130" a great deer there, is a 160 reasonable or unheard of for instance?

Thanks for the insight!

My buddy has a LF place about 15 miles NW of town. A great buck would be in the 130s on his place. Tons of deer and axis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

130's to low 140's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a place a few years ago south of Junction off 83, and we would've been thrilled to see a 130 class deer. mainly saw 110-120's. Place was low-fence, no protein, and had tons of animals, especially Audad and Axis, with an occasional Sitka.

Comment

We hunted Junction for 5 or 6 years. We had a couple 140s taking in that time. More likely to see 120s. We had about 2500 aces for the whole place. I will say we had a bunch of folks that didnt care about managing the property.

We were just west of town off the river.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

120" is average to slightly above average. Anything above that is good with a 140" being exceptional.... BUT there are much bigger roaming those hills in that area too especially on the bigger ranches.. I know of some free range 160" and 170".... It's a great area..

Comment

Our main lease is around the London area. We hunt 3k acres with 10 folks. We have deer everywhere and there are some really nice deer roaming around. Those big deer just do not walk out and linger around the feeders like the others, you have to hunt them or guess/time your vacation around the rut and cold weather.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

We used to hunt a great place in Junction. Tons of game. We were only on it for 2 years but killed in the 30’s-40’s during that time with a few on camera that were bigger. I’ve got a 6 pt in the attic that was 115-120. Best year was the 2011 drought. They stayed around the feed pens all day.

Comment

200 acres low fence a 130 would be a good buck. Don't get your hopes up too high or you might be disappointed.

Comment

130 is a good buck for the area.

Comment

That area is more about quantity then quality. There are some exceptions but the area has a very large population. Myself I'd be more interested in the exotics.

Comment

130” mature Buck is a good buck anywhere especially in the hill country.most of those 160plus you here about around Junction are not native deer Just FYI !

Comment

130” is good....I don’t think a whole lot of 160” deer are in that country

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                            120" is average to slightly above average. Anything above that is good with a 140" being exceptional.... BUT there are much bigger roaming those hills in that area too especially on the bigger ranches.. I know of some free range 160" and 170".... It's a great area..
                            We had 2000 acres between Junction & London a few years ago and the best buck I personally saw might go 125, had one on a trail cam @ night that would have pushed 140. I loved the area but always felt we had a better opportunity for a "trophy" Axis than Whitetail.

Comment

We hunt just west of Junction on 2500 LF acres. Shot this dude last Sunday. One of the better ones we've taken but have seen better. Just let them get old and any place can have good deer.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X