Pistol hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pistol hunting

I still have the itch to try to shoot something this season with a pistol. I've never hunted with one, but I've recently seen an Keith Warren and Razor Dobbs video of them doing so.

My FIL has a scoped .44 mag Redhawk. I'm really considering giving it a proverbial shot.

Anybody out there been down this path?

Pistol hunting

I also sometimes hunt with a scoped Ruger Red Hawk and have killed several animals with it.
    The one comment about a Red Hawk is- since it's a double action pistol it will click when cycling the action (pulling the hammer back) If your target animal is close, they will hear the click. It might not matter in some places where the animals are less spooky, but it will sure get their attention in areas where they are.

Other comments would be I find a solid rest to be necessary for me to shoot it accurately .
    I have switched over to the Hornady lever revolution ammo with positive results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's my favorite way to hunt. Practice at the ranges that you intend to hunt. Remember when handgun hunting the object is to break down the skeletal system. Shoulder shots work best. You can't always count on bullet expansion and forget about hydrostatic shock.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
        The one comment about a Red Hawk is- since it's a double action pistol it will click when cycling the action. If your target animal is close, they will hear the click. It might not matter in some places where the animals are less spooky, but it will sure get their attention in areas where they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot it single action. Lightly grasp the cylinder with non shooting hand. Apply slight pressure while cocking. This will virtually eliminate the sound. Or shoot before the animal gets that close.

Comment

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull with an Ultra Dot Red dot scope I'll be hunting with...Love it.

Comment

I have done it and it is fun. 2 deer several hogs with 40,45 snd 44. Even tagged a few squirrels with a 22 pistol

Comment

I have had 5 shoulder surgeries....

After each one I had to hunt with a handgun.
              They are not very good at knocking things down.
              I used .45 acp, 45 LC, 357 mag, 44 mag and 454 all of them killed the animal.
              All of them left a pretty tough blood trail.
              Most only going a 100 yards or less but with very poor blood trails.

I was shooting them out of my bow stands at less than 20 yards and the loud report of the handgun really puts them to flight.

I have killed no less than 50 animals with a .45LC following wounded animals with Bagley. From Red deer on down. I pop them in the lungs and give them 15 minutes. They are usually down within a 100 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                It's my favorite way to hunt. Practice at the ranges that you intend to hunt. Remember when handgun hunting the object is to break down the skeletal system. Shoulder shots work best. You can't always count on bullet expansion and forget about hydrostatic shock.
                X2. I've personally seen a doe take numerous hits behind the shoulder from a .44 because of hard cast bullets that didn't expand. Our deer are small and sub 240gr bullets should be used, I know Sierra's 210 used to be ideal for deer.

Comment

I also hunt sometimes with handguns. Some that have worled well TC Contender in 44 Mag and 7-30 Waters, Ruger Super black hawk in 357 Max, S&W 629 Hunter Package from their performance center.

While rifle hunting have taken a few deer that got real close wit Kimber 45 ACP and SIG 239 in 357 sig.

Something I really like about the 44 and larger handguns expansion is not really needed for good on game performance, a hard cast bullet heavy for caliber with a large flat meplat is deadly on game.

Handgun hunting cane be lots of fun but like Archery the more practice the better.

Shoot from field positions not just the pistol range or shooting bench, learn your limitations with the chosen handgun and stay ithing them and it is a lot of fun. Shooting stiks can greatly extend ones range and I usually have the Primos Trigger Stick along on a hunt. Handguns are also very handy in a blind for when they come in close when on a rifle hunt.

Comment

Agree with the comments above when using a bullet heavy bullet that does not expand punch through the shoulders for a short tracking job most of the time. I also like quartering toward or away shots that will take out at least one side of the running gear and if using hard cast use one with a large meplat.

I guess not enough people appreciated the Nosler Partition handgun bullets, fro the 357 Magnum and Max that in the 180 is my favorite hog and deer bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by billfromtx View Post
                      I have a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull with an Ultra Dot Red dot scope I'll be hunting with...Love it.
                      I've had good luck with the 250gr XTP and 32gr of H110. This is a 45 colt bullet and you don't want to push it at full speed.

Comment

I've got a super red hawk in .480 ruger. I've taken, but never seen anything.

Comment

I prefer a 250gr Keith bullet, but I have used 240gr JSP and 300gr XTP. I put it square on the shoulder. They never run because they can't.

Comment

Lots of fun. As others have said, practice, practice, practice.

Comment

I have been hunting with a Contender 7-30 Waters for 13 years. never had a deer run more than 40 yards or so. A hunting buddy uses a 44 mag with Barnes 225 grain XPB bullets and they work great. Like everyone says, get a lot of practice and use a steady rest.

Comment

Working...
                              X