Investment questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investment questions?

If you could invest $30,000 right now for the future what would be your best option? CDs, mutual funds, stock??? other ideas?

I won't answer your question but here's a couple i'd ask myself

how long can it sit
    whats the rest of my investment strategy look like
    whats the purpose of this money

example
    can sit a very long time
    it's my first investment
    rainy day fund

would set me one way vs

can sit
    i have retirement accounts and other safety investments
    disposable income

first example I'd buy some kind of diversified fund that was stable and had decent returns . . . . second I'd probably get more aggressive and look for the kind of investments that carry a lot of upside and downside

Comment

This would be my first investment and it could set for some time (5yrs or more). Its purpose would be just to increase ( don't necessarily need it right now but thought it would be better then just putting it in a savings account).

I know next to nothing about the stock market so kinda scared to jump into anything with out some advice. Would probably like to stay on the safer side as opposed to taking a lot of risk right now.

Comment

Don't buy Facebook. Hope this helps.

Comment

The best thing you can do is let it sit in a savings account while you educate yourself on investing. An an investment I would make probably doesn't sit well with your risk tolerance.

Go to www.vanguard.com and educate your self.

Comment

Originally posted by deadeye View Post
            This would be my first investment and it could set for some time (5yrs or more). Its purpose would be just to increase ( don't necessarily need it right now but thought it would be better then just putting it in a savings account).

I know next to nothing about the stock market so kinda scared to jump into anything with out some advice. Would probably like to stay on the safer side as opposed to taking a lot of risk right now.
            Not enough information here to make a recommendation.

Do you have a Roth IRA?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
              The best thing you can do is let it sit in a savings account while you educate yourself on investing. An an investment I would make probably doesn't sit well with your risk tolerance.

Go to www.vanguard.com and educate your self.
              Good advice right there. A CD is not really an investment tool; it'll generate a little better return than a savings account (not an investment either) will, but you're gonna tie up your money in the process.

Comment

Gold!

Comment

This is the best advice I can give- park the money in a savings account for now and take Dave Ramesy's "Financial Peace" class- then with that education make some informed decisions. If you have any debt, pay it all off if you can. Here is the link to his website and you can find a class in your area: http://www.daveramsey.com/home/
                  He teaches how to handle, view money and make what you have work for you.

Comment

I don't have a roth IRA. nothing except a checking and savings account.

Comment

I could hold onto it for you, I'll request it in small unmarked bills..

Comment

Ammo.

Comment

30k buy a rental house and get your 8-1k a month in rent ... Done... I have seen many

Comment

Buy land!

Comment

You probably need to seek the help of a Certified Financial Planner. I did that in 1994, have trusted him with my investments ever since, and he has made me a lot of money over the years and I don't have to spend my time trying to figure out what to do.

Land/real estate is usually a good investment, but it is NOT liquid assets that you could get to in an emergency, so unless you have other liquid investments, land might not be your best route. Also, you have to pay property taxes, not a big deal if the land has a Ag exemption, but it is a REALLY big deal if it does not.

I don't know what your age is, but time is your biggest asset when it comes to investing for the future. The more time you have, the more options you get.

Wayne

Comment

Working...
                              X