Gotta pick a new arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta pick a new arrow

I'm old and old folks fear change. I have been using Carbonwood shafts for several years with good success . they have quite making them. I have about 2 dozen made up for each weight I hunt with but I tend to shoot at most everything that catch's my eye so I go thru a lot of arrows in a season. I have tried Grizzely sticks but was not happy with them. So whats the best shaft out there for a 70# bow and a 57# bow

Buff:
    I went through the carbon and wood phase but ended back up shooting the old trust worthy Aluminum arrows, in fact I felt my shooting improved some over the wood arrows.
    My arrows are 2216 with 140 gr broadhead at about 595 gr.
    I would think you could shout 2315's but not possitive on that.

Comment

I like shooting the carbons, due to the small diameter! I think if I want to add more weight to my shafts, I'll go with the inserts from three rivers.

Love those carbons, either it is straight, or it's broke!

Comment

well buff i shoot goldtips , but i saw your post and noticed how much respect you give goldtips so i guess you don't care for them. i am in the same boat. after i heard goldtip where hard to find and they lost their plant i don't know what carbon shaft to get next. so i will be watching this post.
        if you go with the gold tips i am shooting a 58 lb recurve with goltip 3555's with 150 grain bh. i am going to try to swap to a 5575 with a 100 grain insert and 125 grain tips but i don't know how that is going to work out.

Comment

I think i'm gonna try the CX Heritage shafts. I've heard their real consistent in spine and their priced a little better than the Eastens and Beemans.

Comment

I am shooting the Heritage shafts. I picked them because they had one of the higher grain weight per inch. Plus they take the added brass. I got them from Keystone Country Store.

Buff, I can't believe arrow manufacturers are standing in line to give you arrows. You would be a good rep for there product. Then you could get us some with your employee/celebrity discount.

Comment

Chunky what spine are you shooting?

Comment

The Black Max Elite are heavy and the straightest skinny carbon beman offers. I hear the Easton full Metal Jacket are really the latest in the skinny carbon technology. I have shot the Black Max 400 out of my 54# Bruin and could hang with the componders in accuracy. I have shot the Max 4 340 with 250 gr heads but were too heavy for my bow. out of my 54# widow I shoot the easton axis 340 with 250 gr heads and they fly great. But the skinny carbons are here to stay I think very durable and fly great.
                Paul

Comment

I like Carbon Express. Of all the carbons I've tried, these are the only ones that seem to fly as good as a cedar shaft.

I like Port Orford Cedar. Have I said that lately? They're the best shaft for a traditional bow. Hands down.

Comment

still using Easton Legacy 2016 and 2018

Comment

They are the stiffer of the two shafts, I want to say 3000 model, but I will have to look when I get home. Mark "broken arrow 34" Taylor was kind enough to bring some to a shoot and let me try them out before purchase. I will post as soon as I get home today, baring other disasters.

Comment

I personally think you should have to use a jack knife to wittle down a willow stick to make arrows Buff. That way the animals that you hunt would have a fighting chance...

Seriously if you ever get offered sponsorship to shoot a certain arrow think hard on it. I was sponsored by a ski manufacturer and it really restricts you in many ways when new products come on the market. For the price of a few arrows it doesn't seem worth it to limit oneself. Heck...if I owned Black Wodow I would be geting you on my prostaff team in a heart beat. Now that would be a great sponsor....

Comment

I second what Chunky said. The Carbon Express Heritage shafts are really nice and they are in the neighborhood of 11.0 gpi.

Buff since you shoot heavier weights you'll may need the Heritage 350's. I only shoot 57 @ 28" so the Heritage 250's work good for me.

Good Luck

Comment

I think the Heritage shafts are the best, and I've just about shot them all. Chunky is shooting the Heritage 350's and they weigh 12 gr/in. If I am not mistaken they 250's weigh 11.05 gr/in. I am shooting a Blacktail 58# @ 30" draw and the 350's were not quite stiff enough, so I had to go to the Gold tip 75/95. The GT's are not near durable enough. My longbow is 57# and the Heritage 250's work. If you want to try some of each, let me know and I'll send them to ya!

Comment

Yep, I am shooting the 350s, although mostly I am shooting video. Got almost an hour video of a nice mid 120s,4 yr old, 8 pt, that never presented the absolute perfect shot to Killer Kelby on Sunday morning. I am glad she listened to her ol dad and is responsible in her shot selection, but dang that was hard to watch from 100 yards away.

Comment

Working...
                              X