Not pretty ...but I will take it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not pretty ...but I will take it

having had 2 does duck my arrow this year I rethought my game plan. I had been setting up for as close a shot as I could get. My theory was that the deer were so close that the sound of the shot was scaring them more than if I had a little distance, sort of like someone slipping up behind you and hollering "BOO". Saturday afternoon I had 3 does show up on schedule just before dark. Instead of shooting them on my side of the feeder I waited until they were as far away as they were going to get. I watched them feed for some time and my target doe was as relaxed as she could get and still be standing up. If you watch the video she had been standing with her front legs crossed , kinda just propped up eating. easing my 70# Longbow up I picked a spot low on her chest held for a couple of seconds and let the string slip away. in the milliseconds it took the carbonwood shaft to cross the 25 yards she ALMOST ducked it. the 1-9/16 Zephyer broadhead smacked her in the back and she dropped like a sack of tatters. I looked down at my camera to see if I had captured the shot and was surprised to see her leaving on the camera. Tracking her for a moment at full draw I smacked her again. There was no ducking this time and she was dead as a 10 cent phone call within seconds. I was not very proud of my first shot but I was so happy to finally end my jinks on deer.
    A short video

Neato

Comment

how much your arrows weigh they look like they fly real smooth

Comment

Great video as always. Good job Buff.

Comment

with the broadhead they weigh 700 grains

Comment

wow I got 570 grains shooting out of my 54# widow at around 185fps

Comment

185fps with over 10 grains per pound is outstanding preformance. What kind of bow was that again?

Comment

She saw the lighted nock coming.

Comment

Buff of couse it is a 58" Black Widow PSA III 54@27

Comment

Buff

You are a talented man. Taking animal after animal with some type of BW and getting it on video also.

You mentioned your feeder is 25 yds from the blind. What type of blind are you hunting out of and do you use the shoot thru mesh or not?

More details on your setup would be informative to new hunters.

Comment

As always great job Buff and congrats on whacking a Doe with the longbow.
                      I beleive I'm shooting 595 gr out of my widow, 2216 arrows at 31" with 140 gr broadhead. never shot through conograph so have no Idea how fast it is all I know it's a Widow so it's fast enough.

Comment

[QUOTE=Buff;19969]having had 2 does duck my arrow this year,,, she ALMOST ducked it. QUOTE]

What kind of bow was that????

Don't you hunt out of a "Double Buff Blind"?

Comment

Buff you are one deadly dude.

Comment

I try to set up my ground blinds 25 or 30 yards from the feeder. then hand corn a place 12 to 15 yards away in the spot I really want to shoot. I have several blinds. The double bull matrix recurve model is by far my favorite and I usually reserve it for hunting trips around the country. I have 6 of the ground Max in Rotan that are far less quality but well suited for shooting traditional equipment. The doe was shot from a Amerstep blind. it is a double bull copy with the 360 degree windows but it is really short. I have to shoot with my bow almost sideways. I try not to shoot thru the netting if I can. when I first set up a blind and hunt from it I will but I don't shoot well thru it. I think it is hard to pick a detailed spot. After a blind has been in place a few days I pick a spot and cut a baseball sized hole in the net to shoot thru. you can actually cover a lot of area shooting thru a small hole just by changing the angle of attack on the inside. I shoot much better thru the hole as the target is not distorted. I take out 2 arrows when I get set up in the blind. One with a bowbug to use thru the hole another without in case a deer won't cooperate and I have to shoot thru the mesh

Comment

Great video and final result. It always amazes me how fast a whitetail is.
                              Keep them coming our way.

Comment

Working...
                              X