No announcement yet.

Amistad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure. I haven’t seen any reports. This will be my first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
      Not sure. I haven’t seen any reports. This will be my first time.
      shows 25' low but i think that's still higher than the last few years...

Comment

It was 1091 when I checked a few days ago, think full is something like 1117??? Don't quote me on that. It was full when I first started hunting out there 8 or 9 years ago, huge pita. Few years back when it was in the 1060's or 1070's (I don't remember) was pretty easy hunting for me, deer were very predictable that year. I wish it would drop low enough to get that Spur 454 boat ramp open again that was my favorite right outside the campground.

Comment

This is what I was thinking. Any thoughts?

That spots a good ways in but in reality it’s not that big an area .... I get there walk ALL THE WAY to the back fairly quickly before sun up .! Just gotta know how to navigate the trails .! that spot your trying to get too you gotta cross a lot of little washes small canyons to get to it that’s what will get you , all that up and down .!!! Hardest parts gonna be carrying out your kill ,good luck .!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VictorG830 View Post
            That spots a good ways in but in reality it’s not that big an area .... I get there walk ALL THE WAY to the back fairly quickly before sun up .! Just gotta know how to navigate the trails .! that spot your trying to get too you gotta cross a lot of little washes small canyons to get to it that’s what will get you , all that up and down .!!! Hardest parts gonna be carrying out your kill ,good luck .!!!!

Well heck!! I was planning to walk the shore since I figured most of it would be level. I'm going to go walk the place Sunday afternoon and come up with a walk in plan. How do you guys find your route before the sun comes up?

Comment

Well heck!! I was planning to walk the shore since I figured most of it would be level. I'm going to go walk the place Sunday afternoon and come up with a walk in plan. How do you guys find your route before the sun comes up?
              If you walk the shore you will not see anything but what is in front of you. The shoreline is much lower than the landscape. I would glass. If you see anything then get down wind and try to get within 60 yards. If you see them feeding your way then hunker down and wait till they come to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I use my green and red torch lights when it's cloudy but if it's a clear night you can navigate by the light of the moon just use the highway as an anchor point to know more or less where your at.!!

Comment

The shore line in that area, there is a fairly high drop off down to the water, mainly just rocks no grass or other vegetation, except for on top, where it's mild rolling hills. Down along the water, it was just a rocky beach, maybe some dirt.

As for navigating in the dark, you need to have a good sense of direction, then follow the trails. The rocks are all white out there and they reflect the moon light. The trails light up, like dimly lit roads. I always carry a flashlight, but have never used it at night, except for the time I found a huge porcupine in a small tree. I walked up to it, thought it was maybe a eagle's nest, but thought it was a good bit too low to the ground, but about the right size. Eventually I realized it was moving and then making some strange sounds. So I put a light on it, still could not figure out what the hell it was. The I jabbed it with my bow, it was squishy. Then I really was confused. It turned out to be a huge porcupine curled up in a small persimmons tree. That was strange finding in the dark, it made some kind of growling sounds, I think it was saying, leave me the hell alone, I am trying to sleep. I found two other large porcupines, in hunt area number 5, probably one of them was the one I woke up, before sun up.

Comment

I have an area picked out for my hunt. Google maps shows pretty thick cover. Leading towards a wash down to water. Looking to set up a blind. Any blind hunters?

Comment

Originally posted by Brokegrunt08 View Post
                      I have an area picked out for my hunt. Google maps shows pretty thick cover. Leading towards a wash down to water. Looking to set up a blind. Any blind hunters?

I’ve never used a blind out there , but there is a couple replies on here about them .!

Comment

Well, I talked to a fellow bow hunter and he gave me good tips on where he used to hunt in area 2 a few years ago. Only about half mile to mile hike. Anyone have any experience there?

Comment

Its time for a new bow. Skinned the back of a buck last night after he ducked. My buddy sitting 100 yards away said HE jumped when he heard me shoot. I'm shooting a 2009 Bowtech Admiral, he's shooting a 2008 Bowtech Guardian. We took some shots in camp and his is definitely quieter.

Comment

Increase the poundage and make it faster. Less reaction time.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              Its time for a new bow. Skinned the back of a buck last night after he ducked. My buddy sitting 100 yards away said HE jumped when he heard me shoot. I'm shooting a 2009 Bowtech Admiral, he's shooting a 2008 Bowtech Guardian. We took some shots in camp and his is definitely quieter.
                              Heavier arrow makes it quieter

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                                There may be a couple reasons why your bow is not quiet as it is supposed to be. Upping your draw weight will help. Also, if you get a stiffer spined arrows. That will reduce the flex of arrow, improve accuracy, and it will carry the energy and penetrate more. Reason being, the more energy transferred onto arrow when you release bow string, the less that stays on bow and less vibration and sound coming from bow itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X