Computer for Video Editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer for Video Editing

I need to get a computer for video editing. What do I need to look for?
    First off I have a Sony HD video cam and I need it to be compatible with that. Second I want to edit in the Hi-Def mode and burn in Hi def. Third I want a laptop and I am looking at running Sony Vegas 6 plat (hd version)

Right now I am looking at a Core 2 Duo, 2.0mgh, 2 gigs ram, a 100 or 120 hard drive, and a 256 Geoforce video card.

What about the software ? any better ideas?
    A guy at Sony said I need BlueRay. I don't know about that..

My budget is between 1300-2500 if I had to, $1500 would be a lot better.

So far I am leaning toward Sony AR series because I know they are compatible. I am also looking at the Dell outlets and Sony outlets. Anywhere else?
    Please help.

Thanks
    Dave

I am running a dell laptop Inspiron E1705, 160 GB Hd with 2 external 500GB drives. Trust me, you need the space. I have the 256 MB Video card, with the truelife (I think screen) and the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7400 (2.16GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB), 2 GB Ram and the nice 17 inch monitor. I connect through the camera using the firewire slot that comes with all of them. I personally use Adobe Premier Pro 2 with Photoshop and Encore.

I will say that I have not had one bit of trouble with it. Just finished a 78 minute long video and did not have to render one time. That was complete with graphics and the works. The project size was 47GB. I trust Dell, well on laptops only. I have been burned too many times on desktops so I build my own. Hope this helps.

Comment

Computer call these guys they will save you a ton of money.

Ask for Robert Torres PC Werks his number is 214-341-2852. He is the owner he builds my computers. For the money you want to spend go with a desktop verses laptop. More hard drive too is very important 2 gigs of ram dual processors pentium 4 is good. burner dvd 16x speed or higher.

Have Robert Call me I will help you Jeff Overturf "aka" Tool Master

Comment

Adobe software is not compatible with Microsoft Vista. Well, you can install Premiere Pro but it doesn't run very well and not all of the functions work properly. Adobe is aware of the problem and working on an upgrade but no release date has been announced.

Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 installs and runs with a few minor issues but earlier versions of Adobe video software such as After Effects, Premiere Pro, Encore DVD, or Audition are not recommended to use with Vista.

Avoid Vista for now...if possible!

Comment

im looking into getting a nice hp or sony laptop and am planning on getting some external hardrives to help with memory any body have any expierence with any hp or sony laptops?

Comment

I have the vista...like sika said ..don't get it yet.. they are still working out th bugs. I have had so many problems..But I know it will come around in time. SO I WAIT!

Comment

Get a Mac for video editing, hands down it will out perform any PC.

Comment

Dave, are you looking at a "home editing system" or are you looking for a computer to edit on while your in the field?

Currently I use a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ140 for field editing. I like doing some field editing on this laptop so at the end of the hunt, everyone that is involved can have a DVD to go home with.

I film in HD, and convert to SD during the capturing process. I am saving all of my tapes, so that when I get a Blu-Ray burner I can capture in HD and burn it.

Currently we have been using the camera plug-ins and connecting via Component Cable straight to the TV so we can watch the raw footage in 1080i and really enjoy the cameras quality.

I am slowly moving away from the "Turnkey" systems and into a Professional Studio system. It really depends on what you want to do with your videos on what we could recommend to you.
                Last edited by Videographer; 07-01-2007, 08:22 AM.

Comment

You'll need more hard drive than what is in your spec.

Comment

I've a Sony VAIO from 2003 and it burns DVD's with the bundled Click to DVD software......straightforward and easy to use. I'm looking at a Sony HD camcorder (huge Sony fan) and will save tapes (I think tapes is my selection) until the BluRay, HD DVD war is over. The choice in camcorders and how they capture is difficult enough.

Comment

I ended up with a Sony Ar290 dual hard drives, 2gig, a Blu ray burner, external HD and Sony Vegas Suite. This way I have all Sony equipment and should not have comapatibility issues.
                      now as soon as I can learn how to use all this crap I'll be in good shape.
                      Now where is that on button?

DEW

Comment

I'm REALLY going to stay out of this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post
                          I'm REALLY going to stay out of this one!
                          Pat instead of having you forward you thoughts on the matter to my email address. I'll show up this weekend and bring you all my raw footage

Atleast this way, you don't have to write a novel!!

Originally posted by Dave W View Post
                          I ended up with a Sony Ar290 dual hard drives, 2gig, a Blu ray burner, external HD and Sony Vegas Suite.
                          Dave how much did all of this run ya, if you don't mind me asking.

Comment

Working...
                          X