Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #1051
homegrown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill, Bosque, Ellis, SE OK, NM

Finally got a chance to get back in the woods this evening. This is only my second sit of the season. The new job has taken away a lot of my free time but my family is worth it. Hoping to just get left alone for a while and seeing a deer will be a bonus. Got corn on the ground and will try to get back over the weekend. Good luck everybody & stay safe.
homegrown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2016, 06:15 PM   #1052
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Anything HG?
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2016, 07:13 PM   #1053
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Good to see ya post-n Homegrown.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2016, 08:13 PM   #1054
homegrown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill, Bosque, Ellis, SE OK, NM

Buddy I was with shot a nice eating size sow that we hauled out but no deer showed up. Still enjoyed just being in the woods for the evening.
homegrown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 06:19 AM   #1055
Storm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

About time you got back out there Homegrown.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 06:39 AM   #1056
team obsession
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill, Bosque, Navarro, and Coke counties

Been pretty slow for me this year. I haven't been as much as usual and not as many deer being saw as before. Hoping to get out there a week straight here soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
team obsession is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 07:06 AM   #1057
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Same here TO. Been off work since Aug and was hoping to put a little time in out there. But the weather hasn't been where I like it. And I've had a project here at the house I just finished up last week. Was going to go put out corn yesterday after the game. But my brother had shot a pretty good buck Saturday in very far East Texas. And wanted to know where to take it to get it processed and caped for mount. So I hung around here last night till he got here. Then road to the processor with him. I have some things I need to get done this morning anyway. Maybe I'll spill some corn tomorrow. And hunt it Wed. Shouldn't be as many people out then anyway. May just duck hunt and fish over the holidays. And let all the rest of folks deer hunt. Then hunt the mid weeks.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-21-2016 at 07:17 AM..
Old 11-21-2016, 07:15 AM   #1058
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Coop, I talked with Cecil last night. He's still open. His business phone was down. And his road side sign is down. But he answered his cell. Stopped in and talked with him a bit with my brother. He said things have been kinda slow.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #1059
Johnny quest
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wise ,Montague

Saw two doe yesterday. Its slow wonder if the chasing is done? Maybe all shacked up already?
Johnny quest is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #1060
PSE Chase
Four Point

Hunt In: Glenrose,

I've hunted around the 2 lakes a lot the past 6 years usually the same few spots and never had any problems have always meet good people in the areas I hunt but this past weekend ran into some people that think the own the property with stands that they have came in and put in the last week and they don't want you walking down the main road through place and they have no problem telling you about it so be careful out there.
PSE Chase is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #1061
Johnny quest
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wise ,Montague

Well your either legal or not. That's why I carry where ever I go. Never know when you may have to defend yourself from a whacko meth head. By carry I mean a big stick. wink wink
Johnny quest is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #1062
BowhunterKPH
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Public Land, Tall Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
Well we helped BowhunterKPH with another attempt to find his deer but never found anything after last blood. If you guys need some help looking for a deer post up there may be someone that can come help, or have the pH number of the guys with tracking dogs for the area you hunt. There's no shame in loosing a deer (it happens) at least you know you tried to find it. Get back out there Khris you did your homework and found a great area and you'll get another chance this season .
STORM, I can't Thank you and your Son enough for your help on Saturday. You are both Great People in my book! Thanks for all the feedback. I'll keep after it and I'm sure I'll have success eventually!
BowhunterKPH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #1063
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSE Chase View Post
I've hunted around the 2 lakes a lot the past 6 years usually the same few spots and never had any problems have always meet good people in the areas I hunt but this past weekend ran into some people that think the own the property with stands that they have came in and put in the last week and they don't want you walking down the main road through place and they have no problem telling you about it so be careful out there.
They can talk all they want to me. If I ain't got my hear-n aids in, then it's just wasted babbage and energy . I'd just have to smile, give a friendly wave, and walk on by if I did hear something.
Besides, they should know better than to hang on or near a road where everybody walks , or to expect foot traffic. Must not have much up in the "attic" .
Old 11-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #1064
rednecktbrizz7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rusk Montalba Cisco Palestine Sabine LBJ Grasslands Whitney

even tho I missed deer or duck Huntin this awesome cold weather cuz had to work this weekend (planting bird for a field trial) I still brought home quite a bit of good vittles from work....... They told me that they usually just throw the birds away cuz no one wants to clean em

rednecktbrizz7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #1065
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecktbrizz7 View Post

even tho I missed deer or duck Huntin this awesome cold weather cuz had to work this weekend (planting bird for a field trial) I still brought home quite a bit of good vittles from work....... They told me that they usually just throw the birds away cuz no one wants to clean em

So your BBQing for everybody here?

J/k. Good to see ya make use of-em.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #1066
Storm
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhunterKPH View Post
STORM, I can't Thank you and your Son enough for your help on Saturday. You are both Great People in my book! Thanks for all the feedback. I'll keep after it and I'm sure I'll have success eventually!
You'll get one soon Khris you've found a good area. Keep after it!
Old 11-21-2016, 07:38 PM   #1067
Super Six-Four
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas, Louisiana, Illinois, Colorado, Oklahoma
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSE Chase View Post
Yeah.... That's when ya say "Cheese" and snap their picture with your cell phone, and one of their truck at the road maybe. I thought bullying ended in High School - maybe everyone got the memo except the bullies haha

Being an advocate for hunting, wildlife conservation, and trying to get folks not only interested but passionate about the adventure of the outdoors means being exactly that - an advocate. Bullying is everything opposite of being a mature representative of the lifestyle in my opinion.

Yeah its frustrating to have someone come into or through your hunting area after all your hard work but after you take a breath, it is in the end public land and it is to be shared. Respectfully.

Last edited by Super Six-Four; 11-21-2016 at 08:00 PM..
Super Six-Four is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 11:26 PM   #1068
coop
Ten Point

TG, thanks for the heads up. Glad Cecil is doing well. I was a little worried that things might not be going well with him. He's always treated me well and friendly.
coop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 11:31 PM   #1069
coop
Ten Point

Quote:
They told me that they usually just throw the birds away cuz no one wants to clean em
This has always been a soar spot with me. Glad you got the chance to put them to good use.
coop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #1070
rednecktbrizz7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop View Post
This has always been a soar spot with me. Glad you got the chance to put them to good use.

Heck yes it is a sore spot for sure with me that's why I took the extra time and effort to do it myself even told the guys if they wanted some of Em that I cleaned they could but they weren't interested lol

Old 11-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #1071
team obsession
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill, Bosque, Navarro, and Coke counties

Yea TG I'm working 2 full time jobs, and guiding fishing trips still. Plus raising a family. Not much time for anything

team obsession is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #1072
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:

What kind of birds are those?
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #1073
rednecktbrizz7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
What kind of birds are those?

Quail

Old 11-22-2016, 05:36 PM   #1074
Pope & Yum
Eight Point

Hunt In: Right now lets go

Quote:
Quail

I need friends with these kinds of problems. Love me some quail.
Pope & Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2016, 06:34 PM   #1075
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by team obsession View Post
Yea TG I'm working 2 full time jobs, and guiding fishing trips still. Plus raising a family. Not much time for anything

Family? Well, congrats then. I had no idea.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #1076
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I spilled a little corn today. The first place I went, someone had just finished setting up about 60 yards away complete with flagging tape. So I went to an old trail that I've killed over before. Found two fresh scrapes with lick branches about 12 yards apart. So I drug up a little brush blind 25 yards away. Now I just have to go sit there.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #1077
Storm
Pope & Young

Quote:

even tho i missed deer or duck huntin this awesome cold weather cuz had to work this weekend (planting bird for a field trial) i still brought home quite a bit of good vittles from work....... They told me that they usually just throw the birds away cuz no one wants to clean em

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
are they nuts?
Old 11-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #1078
rednecktbrizz7
Ten Point

Quote:
are they nuts?

Yes yes they are lol.... Actually I'm pretty sure most of them have freezers full of quail and pheasant is the reason

Old 11-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #1079
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes yes they are lol.... Actually I'm pretty sure most of them have freezers full of quail and pheasant is the reason

Well, if ya get to many to handle, I know a team at Bownanza that can batter and drop them in with some fish.
You should try battered deep fried ribs sometime too. Heaven sent!
Old 11-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #1080
lgc999
Six Point

Hunt In: Aquilla,TX, Silver, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
You should try battered deep fried ribs sometime too. Heaven sent!
Oh man, now that sounds good!
lgc999 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #1081
Ender
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bosque,hill counties, anywhere i can

So I'm finally back home after 14 days. Just got back last night looking forward to catching the tail end of rut and trying to make a connection Friday. It'll be nice to have all the oilfield time off to hunt again
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #1082
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

They still be chase-n and harass-n.
Didn't see a single deer all day.

But did see two of them. And they weren't single. They were together.
2.5 yoa buck antagonizing a fawn doe. He should get someone his own age.
Didn't see them till 5:39 this evening. And could barely make out his rack due to the darkness of the woods I was in. But his posture and the actions told me he was a buck before he got close enough to confirm. He did stop and grab a couple bites of corn at 20. The doe took that opportunity to "Exit, stage left", for those old enough to remember that line.

Missed an opportunity for a turkey too. Was headed back to the truck for lunch, fully packed. And didn't have my glasses on. I just happen to look up and there are 4 hens in front of me at 20 yards. and we're both in the wide open . I couldn't remember if the county was "bearded hen" or just "either sex". So I didn't load and shoot. And they didn't want to wait for me to go to the truck and look it up, then head back to shoot one of-em. So they ducked behind a cedar, and did a "Who-deeny". I thought it was kinda rude how they acted. Didn't even say good by.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:17 PM   #1083
SlabHappy
Nubbin' Buck

Default First time out.

Well, I am going to try to make it out to H2 Sunday morning, by boat. It will be my first time out, and not really planning on getting anything, haven't done any scouting, but will have my xbow, just in case. I did buy me a Diamond Deploy, but just plan on practicing this year, with my daughter. Santa is getting her an Apprentice. I hope to just get the hang of things, and enjoy "my time" in the woods. I hope to get my daughter out there, in a few years, once she gets enough draw weight to take down a deer. If anyone has any tips, I'm all ears, I'm pretty green...really would just like to get a pig sometime this hunting year.
SlabHappy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2016, 03:54 AM   #1084
justindfw
Ten Point

Quote:

Didn't see them till 5:39 this evening. And could barely make out his rack due to the darkness of the woods I was in. But his posture and the actions told me he was a buck before he got close enough to confirm. He did stop and grab a couple bites of corn at 20. The doe took that opportunity to "Exit, stage left", for those old enough to remember that line.

Missed an opportunity for a turkey too. Was headed back to the truck for lunch, fully packed. And didn't have my glasses on. I just happen to look up and there are 4 hens in front of me at 20 yards. and we're both in the wide open . I couldn't remember if the county was "bearded hen" or just "either sex". So I didn't load and shoot. And they didn't want to wait for me to go to the truck and look it up, then head back to shoot one of-em. So they ducked behind a cedar, and did a "Who-deeny". I thought it was kinda rude how they acted. Didn't even say good by.
Sounds like a good outing to me. Always nice seeing critters
justindfw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2016, 06:00 AM   #1085
Storm
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlabHappy View Post
Well, I am going to try to make it out to H2 Sunday morning, by boat. It will be my first time out, and not really planning on getting anything, haven't done any scouting, but will have my xbow, just in case. I did buy me a Diamond Deploy, but just plan on practicing this year, with my daughter. Santa is getting her an Apprentice. I hope to just get the hang of things, and enjoy "my time" in the woods. I hope to get my daughter out there, in a few years, once she gets enough draw weight to take down a deer. If anyone has any tips, I'm all ears, I'm pretty green...really would just like to get a pig sometime this hunting year.
Glad to have you Slab Happy even if you don't get one its great being in God's country.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:03 AM   #1086
Storm
Pope & Young

Quote:

But you know all the good spots and only saw a few? HAPPY THANKSGIVING TG!
Old 11-24-2016, 06:13 AM   #1087
justindfw
Ten Point

Happy Thanksgiving guys an gals
Old 11-24-2016, 08:31 AM   #1088
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
But you know all the good spots and only saw a few? HAPPY THANKSGIVING TG!
Yep. I was kinda surprised. Guess they hadn't heard I was back in town. The turkeys did come out to meet me though. But didn't want my autograph (SMH). Guess I'll have to work a little on "Public" Relations in the critter dept again.

Happy Thanks Giving to all!
Old 11-25-2016, 03:54 AM   #1089
Storm
Pope & Young

No hunting for me this weekend I have smoker duty tonight, my daughter's engagement party Saturday then catch up.on my sleep. To everyone hunting these next 3 days good luck.
And to kennyb congratulations on your 1st doe!
Old 11-25-2016, 07:11 AM   #1090
chino
Eight Point

Hunt In: public lands

It is raining and I am late.
Anyway ,I am waiting
chino is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2016, 07:14 AM   #1091
justindfw
Ten Point

Quit raining at my spot. Just foggy and cool. No movement yet
Old 11-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #1092
Storm
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindfw View Post
Quit raining at my spot. Just foggy and cool. No movement yet
Get you a good one justin. FYI there is a bigger buck cursing the area I shot mine that was in the afternoon.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:38 AM   #1093
justindfw
Ten Point

There r rumors of a nicee 11 pt running around this section. Raining good again.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:51 AM   #1094
Ender
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bosque,hill counties, anywhere i can

I waited about 30 minutes and checked the radar again it shows a lot more coming and I don't feel up to sitting through it again. I decided to come home and try another day. But for those staying I did see several deer on the way home so they are moving, good luck.
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #1095
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
It is raining and I am late.
Anyway ,I am waiting
Get ya one brother!
Old 11-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #1096
buckshot179
Four Point

Hunt In: whitney,aquilla,crews

Well stayed out in the rain till 11 and didnt see anything. But what I did see on the walk back was someone's fresh corn pile and they just left the bag stuffed between the branch of the tree..next to the pile of corn. Also a empty bag of acorn rage just laying on the ground! Littering is not cool it ticks me off! I wish I could have had some words with guy!
buckshot179 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2016, 02:30 PM   #1097
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I was walking back last Tuesday and saw a corn bag with an acorn Rage bag right beside it on the side of the trail (smh) . I went over to go pick it up. And just before I did, noticed that it had been used for another purpose. And I wasn't about to touch it then. Am I the only one here that carries TP?

But I do agree. All trash should be carried out.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #1098
Kenny B
Eight Point

Hunt In: Aquilla/whitney

Quote:
No hunting for me this weekend I have smoker duty tonight, my daughter's engagement party Saturday then catch up.on my sleep. To everyone hunting these next 3 days good luck.
And to kennyb congratulations on your 1st doe!
Thanks storm
Attached Images

Kenny B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #1099
buckshot179
Four Point

Hunt In: whitney,aquilla,crews

Haha sorry TG glad you noticed! Just boggles my mind carry 40 pounds of corn in and can't take out a weightless bag ��
buckshot179 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #1100
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Good doe KennyB! Congrats!