Looking for suggestions ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for suggestions ...

Since I started trapping entire sounders of pigs my farmer neighbor said I can have all the corn I wanted if I use it to trap pigs.

Here's my dilemma - being the farmer he is, the corn is stored in a silo and I'd either have to scoop 5 gallon bucket at a time or he can run his auger into my truck bed. Being that I have a bad back, neither option sounds desirable. I'm trying to find a work around.

I think if I put 3 x 55 gallon barrels in the bed of my truck he could run the auger and the spillage could be easily swept up. I can use my tractor to pick up the barrels out of my truck.

It seems to me there was someone here several years ago that had the same opportunity and a similar solution?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Cut the top out of a water tote with the metal cage around it, and place it in your truck bed.

Comment

Auger corn into tractor bucket. Dump bucket into trap. No back issues

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
        This sounds like the "Fix"

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          Better than anything I thought of

Comment

Barter with someone to do it for you in exchange for... ??? 1 hog hunt whenever they come out to help?

Or SmTx's idea.

Comment

What you described is exactly what I did Tracy. Only, I was sometimes getting 1500lbs at a time. But I used 45 gallon poly cans with wheels on them, most of the time. I did have a couple of 55 gallon cans I used in the bed also. Transfer from the truck to the poly cans on the ground was done with a one gallon coffee can till it got low enough that I could move the barrel to the tail gate and dump it in one of the poly cans on the ground. Easier on the back that way. If I had the bed filled, I'd use a shovel and rake/squeegee to get it out. Then just roll the cans inside the storage area.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                Cut the top out of a water tote with the metal cage around it, and place it in your truck bed.
                I like that idea!

Te as Grown it was you! I was hoping to see the pictures you posted then. Are you still getting corn that way?

Comment

With a tractor, I'd get a pallet and put the barrels on it. Use forks to lift the pallet out of the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                    With a tractor, I'd get a pallet and put the barrels on it. Use forks to lift the pallet out of the truck.
                    Perfect

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                      Ooh! Another great idea! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                        Ooh! Another great idea! Thanks!
                        May be stating the obvious, but be sure to strap the barrels together to secure them

Comment

Pro box seed tote. Makes filling feeders, traps super easy when you need to put out a lot. For occasional use build a stand to set it on and use bottom door to fill buckets as needed. They have lids so leaving corn in them for a couple of months isn’t an issue.

Comment

*easy when you have a tractor

Comment

Working...
                            X