Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #1
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods
Default Today’s youth

Will my step daughter was finishing up her masters and for a part time job thought it would be nice to substitute teach some. This lasted about a month. Last week a student called her a b!$&@ and you know what the school did. Not one thing except talk to the kid in the hallway and send him back to class. That was her last day ! She could not believe that admin did not support her more than that. I can’t believe it either.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke

I had this career change thought a couple years ago, and wanted to be a teacher/coach. I did exactly ONE semester of student teaching freshman level. I quickly realized I would rather stay a cop and embrace the suck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hully1029 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
TCR²
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina/Shelby Counties

Gone are the days where disrespecting the teacher would result in a few shift licks to the arse with a paddle.....liberal sissies and no discipline at home has lead to moral decay amongst kids these days.
TCR² is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 02:55 PM   #4
Kevin.
Four Point

Hunt In: Collin County

My wife and some of her family work in the school system. Its shocking to hear some of the stories and the lack of disciplinary actions. Even in elementary.
Kevin. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #5
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

My wife is an assistance principle for elementary here in SA. She came home with bite marks on her arm the other day from a kindergardener. Some of the stories are just jaw dropping. Their hands are tied so much.
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
Stuck
Ten Point

Bienvinedos la escuela. Wife’s been teaching 18yrs. Once the kids figure out there are no consequences, they cant be controlled. She has a special one this year that thinks he’s a thug while going to a school in a high rent area. She’s been unable to connect with him at all and sat down a few months ago and told him about the kid he most reminds her of that she taught around 8yrs ago. He’s sitting on death row.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I blame the parents...man, when I got in trouble in school I was more worried about getting home vs already getting whoop'd by 'mr. grouch'.

Now the parents stick up for the little brats & threaten the teachers / admins & sure this alone is making many good educators take another path.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #8
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

This time last year my wife had retired from the senior health care industry but in August decided to try substitute teaching 2-3 days a week just for something to do. Fortunately she got some good advice from friends that are current or former teachers in the district. They told her to stay with 2nd up to 5th grade. Any younger is like herding cats and older you start dealing with surly and disrespectful twerps. One good thing about being a sub is you are not expected to deal with the real troublemakers

Last edited by jerp; 02-17-2020 at 03:06 PM.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 03:08 PM   #9
CaprockRoamer
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can get permission

Quote:
Originally Posted by hully1029 View Post
I had this career change thought a couple years ago, and wanted to be a teacher/coach. I did exactly ONE semester of student teaching freshman level. I quickly realized I would rather stay a cop and embrace the suck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I'm in theexact same boat. My wife teaches and I don't know how she does it.
CaprockRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #10
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

This is not only the parents it is the Central Office personnel, school boards and state governments that allow this.

If you really want to see the belly of the beast come spend one week with my unit of behavior kids from K thru 5th grade and you will see what goes on. We as teachers and administrators are helpless against these heathens. Then main reason i am retiring on May 22 is it will not get any better only worse. People in this country are destroying the education system as we speak.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 03:11 PM   #11
Aggiebow88
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by artos View Post
i blame the parents...man, when i got in trouble in school i was more worried about getting home vs already getting whoop'd by 'mr. Grouch'.

Now the parents stick up for the little brats & threaten the teachers / admins & sure this alone is making many good educators take another path.
this!!!!!
Aggiebow88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 03:33 PM   #12
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

ok, I got a few questions or statements or thoughts on this.
Is this a liberal thing or a societal thing. I am not talking politics, I am speaking from a community change that has taken place over the last 35 years or so. This is not ONLY in the not so pleasant neighborhoods but also in the upper crust suburbs from what I have observed and read on TBH over the decades. So one question is......ARE WE the problem? Before you answer don't say MY KIDS are not the ones causing issues......as that is NOT the question. Do WE have to look in the mirror and say we have not held up our end of the bargain called public/private education??? Did the greatest generation say the baby boomers are horrible? Are the baby boomers saying we messed up our kids? Or are both groups saying WE did our best and ONLY WANTED THINGS better than what we had growing up? I look at these threads and have mixed thoughts on the subject.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 03:37 PM   #13
UrbanBuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: DCNF, SHNF, CROCKETT

No way I would be a teacher these days with the **** pay and punk *** kids. I'd end up strangling the disrespectful little *******s.
UrbanBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 03:55 PM   #14
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching.

My cousin is a school teacher and coach for a middle school. An 8th grader, who has been a huge pain the entire year, stepped up to my cousin and threatened to hit him. My cousin, after about 3 months of taking crap and not being able to do anything about it because the kid has issues, said something of go ahead, step up and take a swing. I'll knock your *** to the ground.

Guess who went to the assistant principal's office? Not the kid. Sad.

I dunno if it's the youth though. Am I wrong in saying every generation for the last 100 years has had sh!*head kids in it? Haven't there always been kids acting out? I think the problem, at least based on OP's story and mine, that we've taken away rules, punishment and consequences. And that's on adults. I blame the left.

Last edited by ctom87; 02-17-2020 at 03:59 PM.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #15
Big Lee
Eight Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Taught H.S. for 5 years... The best part was June, July, and Half of August.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 04:06 PM   #16
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctom87 View Post
My cousin is a school teacher and coach for a middle school. An 8th grader, who has been a huge pain the entire year, stepped up to my cousin and threatened to hit him. My cousin, after about 3 months of taking crap and not being able to do anything about it because the kid has issues, said something of go ahead, step up and take a swing. I'll knock your *** to the ground.

That will be my son, and I will be very proud of him. He will tell the assistant principle why he did it, the lesson he learned from doing it and how it will benefit him in his future.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 04:14 PM   #17
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBuck View Post
No way I would be a teacher these days with the **** pay and punk *** kids. I'd end up strangling the disrespectful little *******s.
School called me and asked if I would drive a bus I said if it comes with a Baseball Bat and permission to use it...They never called again...
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #18
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Anyone who is still dealing with these savages this day and age is a warrior.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 04:22 PM   #19
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
Will my step daughter was finishing up her masters and for a part time job thought it would be nice to substitute teach some. This lasted about a month. Last week a student called her a b!$&@ and you know what the school did. Not one thing except talk to the kid in the hallway and send him back to class. That was her last day ! She could not believe that admin did not support her more than that. I can’t believe it either.
Dude where have you been? Have you not read a teacher rant thread in the last 10 years?

It's a crap ton worse than being called a name. Kids get away with anything these days.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 04:27 PM   #20
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I blame the parents...man, when I got in trouble in school I was more worried about getting home vs already getting whoop'd by 'mr. grouch'.

Think about this.. The more good teachers leave means less good people to fight for what's best for the kids...which then makes it easier for parents to let their kids have their way and get away with even more...which makes even more good/decent teachers leave....spiral down hill!

My wife is a teacher and heard the CCO talking to a group of teachers at a meeting and said they're in the customer service business... LOL That's seriously how schools are looked at now.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #21
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

All products of their environment...………………
you show me a troubled kid...……..
I'll show you, a troubled home...………….
I subbed for a few years in Weatherford...……….
I bailed, after 3 years...……...
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #22
Charles
Pope & Young

I agree school administers don't discipline like they should. Probably in fear of a lawsuit if you hurt precious johnny's feelings.

I also believe we only amplify the problem child and nobody ever mentions the many students that don't misbehave. It's like the media, they only talk about how the sky is falling and never about the good in the world.
Charles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 04:34 PM   #23
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Is this a liberal thing or a societal thing. I am not talking politics, I am speaking from a community change that has taken place over the last 35 years or so. This is not ONLY in the not so pleasant neighborhoods but also in the upper crust suburbs from what I have observed and read on TBH over the decades. So one question is......ARE WE the problem? Before you answer don't say MY KIDS are not the ones causing issues......as that is NOT the question. Do WE have to look in the mirror and say we have not held up our end of the bargain called public/private education??? Did the greatest generation say the baby boomers are horrible? Are the baby boomers saying we messed up our kids? Or are both groups saying WE did our best and ONLY WANTED THINGS better than what we had growing up? I look at these threads and have mixed thoughts on the subject.
Quote:

I dunno if it's the youth though. Am I wrong in saying every generation for the last 100 years has had sh!*head kids in it? Haven't there always been kids acting out? I think the problem, at least based on OP's story and mine, that we've taken away rules, punishment and consequences. And that's on adults. I blame the left.
IMO it's called the schools catering to the few. The left leaning people come in and threaten to sue if their kid gets paddled..So they stop paddling. Then on to the next thing.

I don't know many conservatives who would tell a good teacher to not discipline their kid.

To answer Landrovers question someone can look up when public schools went to crap in cali and then here... I bet time out started there first etc..
Old 02-17-2020, 04:41 PM   #24
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Don’t blame the administrators, they’re doing what they are told to do. Blame the parents 100%.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 04:47 PM   #25
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
I believe it is a societal thing. A combination of the erosion of basic manners and increase in a sense of entitlement. When I was in school there were plenty of mouthy, disrespectful students. (Plenty of crappy parents, too) The difference was they couldn’t get away with it as easily because educators were allowed to use the tools necessary to keep it under control. There were also more parents who punished their children who misbehaved in school instead of taking their side no matter what they did. It has very little if anything to do with politics (liberal/conservative) IMO. Either you raise your kids to be respectful and let them suffer the consequences when they screw up or you don’t.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #26
Landrover
Pope & Young

"Blame the parents!"
So WE are the problem for the non-sense occuring in all facets of schools. It is poor to non existent parenting in every socio-economic strata. If WE all agree, is this just a passing phase or putting us one generation closer being less than what we are capable of as a country? Rome wasnt built in a day , but it fell on 2 generations.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #27
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I believe it is a societal thing. A combination of the erosion of basic manners and increase in a sense of entitlement. When I was in school there were plenty of mouthy, disrespectful students. (Plenty of crappy parents, too) The difference was they couldn’t get away with it as easily because educators were allowed to use the tools necessary to keep it under control. There were also more parents who punished their children who misbehaved in school instead of taking their side no matter what they did. It has very little if anything to do with politics (liberal/conservative) IMO. Either you raise your kids to be respectful and let them suffer the consequences when they screw up or you don’t.
Oops, just seeing this response. That is what I tend to surmise also. Just wondering if WE can look in the mirror and accept we all have let this fall to a state of embarrassment. Or, are we the only ones that are embarrassed?

Old 02-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #28
jtempleton
Eight Point

Hunt In: Edwards and Robertson Counties

I’ve been called tons worse before lunch on a normal day. You have to pick your battles. Admin isn’t much better. If they see you referring kids to them more and more they will think you are the problem and will want to send you to more training. Bottom line is do what you have to do to connect with kids and run your room. There is no one size fits all solution. I have found that making a relationship with each one and connecting with them is the best way. Connecting with the worse of the worse and the best of the best. Yes they are going to cuss, yes they are going to cuss at you. Is being called a b$&@h something you want to address now or let it go and address it later once you have a relationship established??? Idk each person will handle different. I hope found that once the relationship is established and expectations are set they will walk through fire for you. However there will always be that one who won’t respond to you and you hope they will with someone else in the building. It’s the world we live in and it sucks so we have to be the positive interaction these kids have every day.
jtempleton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 05:03 PM   #29
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Like rat stated & I agree they are catering to the few & it's these 'few parents' that are to blame because they feel their children are angels or should be excused because of their troubled home or who knows why they would defend bad behavior?? It wasn't anything like this in our day. Why the few are creating a new standard is bizarre & may have some societal changes I may not be considering.

My son was voted best all around / nominated by his teachers & fellow students his Sr year of hs...we didn't even know he was popular. All his buds were the most well behaved young men & woman a parent could have visit their home. Some I know were single parent homes, so I firmly believe it really all goes back to structure, discipline & respect in their upbringing.

Quote:
"Blame the parents!"
So WE are the problem for the non-sense occuring in all facets of schools. It is poor to non existent parenting in every socio-economic strata. If WE all agree, is this just a passing phase or putting us one generation closer being less than what we are capable of as a country? Rome wasnt built in a day , but it fell on 2 generations.

Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #30
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

Blame the Department of Education. It's been all downhill since it was created.
That's why mine go to a private school
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 05:21 PM   #31
BayouCat
Four Point

Hunt In: B-County & Central Texas

I've been in education (teacher/coach) almost 20 years. I can't speak for all districts, but the ones I've been at have all had their unique problems. The one common denominator has been getting to know your kids and parents the best that you can and developing a working relationship with them. It is a management business and how well you can manage, motivate, and inspire people. Not everyone is cut out for it just like any other profession.
BayouCat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 05:32 PM   #32
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County
Default Today’s youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I agree school administers don't discipline like they should. Probably in fear of a lawsuit if you hurt precious johnny's feelings.

I also believe we only amplify the problem child and nobody ever mentions the many students that don't misbehave. It's like the media, they only talk about how the sky is falling and never about the good in the world.

I agree with this in part. There’s still good parents out there just like there’s still good kids but social media only shares the drama.

I also think we are all a little guilty of instilling the entitlement piece as well. Some parents fail their kids by wanting to be their “friends” and not teaching them to respect authority. Most kids nowadays just don’t have to work as hard as they used to and feel entitled. To me.....that’s a recipe for disaster. We live in an undisciplined, over parenting, over protecting, over praising world where we place our kid’s activities and accomplishments ahead of everything else. It’s all about them!!! And when things go south....we need someone else to blame
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 05:59 PM   #33
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

They took discipline out of the teachers hands and prayer out of the schools and basically the Admin's hands, they tell teachers they cannot fail a student, all students must get participation medals/ribbons and cannot fail, parents do not give a crap anymore for the most part and standardized tests and Common Core and the crap these teachers have to teach just for the STAAR test are what is killing the education of our children. Common Core is BS and all the teachers do is teach to the STAAR test as deemed by the Legislature, TEA and some School Boards. Lot's of finger pointing along the way and a lot of people to blame for the demise of our kids and schools. You put STAAR test results on the kids and the teachers and some are going to fail simply because of the pressure. It is not real fun giving a test to where if you screw up on purpose or accident you could actually end up in jail for the more serious offenses. You could dang sure get fired and loose you teaching certification. How many of you want that on your backs. Teachers ain't paid squat compared to other professions and I know this will raise the ire of some, but I challenge you to come spend one week in my unit and my school and if you think I make too much money and have too much time off, then by gosh, you can have my job! Bring not so nice clothes, running shoes, cleaning and anti-septic supplies as I cannot tell you from minute to minute, hour to hour or day to day what will happen to you. From my experiences you could get attacked, punched, kicked, bloodied, stabbed with scissors or pencils hit with a belt/book/chair/desk/Chromebook or whatever they can get their hands on. You may also get spit on and peed on and have to follow a kid off campus to wherever they want to go or the police show up or they decide to return to campus. All in the life of a normal school teacher and THESE things are coming from an ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TEACHER, not sure what goes on in middle or HS. But I do know it can be more physical with older kids. My personal school had a 5th grade girl get pregnant by a 5th grade boy at Christmas break last year and we had the largest drug bust in our district's history in the 5th grade this year! Yes, school is great, LOL!

Sorry for the long rant, but I had 2 female single parents be absolute AHOLES this afternoon and it got my blood boiling!
Old 02-17-2020, 06:07 PM   #34
progolferv1
Ten Point

the reason I stopped coaching and teaching.
progolferv1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #35
StrayDog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

When I was in junior high and thought I was “full grown” my grandpa (he basically raised me) stopped one of the vice principal’s/coaches in church. Grandpa asked him if there really was a form he could sign that allowed the coach to give me swats. Coach said “Yes, Sir there is.” Grandpa said, send one home with him on Monday and I’ll sign it - just let me know how many licks you give him because he’ll get double at home. Coach was also a semi-pro golfer and he could light you up with that paddle.

Taught me to get really good at not getting caught
StrayDog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 06:29 PM   #36
camoclad
Eight Point

Hunt In: central tx

These threads give me bubble gut with two lil ones....

Does someone have a good suggestion? Like, going to a high rated, or small country school avoids most of this crap?
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 06:31 PM   #37
Charles
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoclad View Post
These threads give me bubble gut with two lil ones....

Does someone have a good suggestion? Like, going to a high rated, or small country school avoids most of this crap?
Home school.
Charles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 06:50 PM   #38
Pilgrim
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Home school.
Or private
Pilgrim is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #39
ByronB
Ten Point

I believe it is bad Parenting, bad Public Policies, and bad judgement at Judicial levels. If the school systems were actually able to hold students accountable for poor actions then bad behavior would decrease. Just like the OP stated...his Step Daughter was called a b.... while substitute teaching. Nothing happens to the student aggressor. As long as students are allowed to be uncivil towards authority figures then the demise will continue. School systems must be allowed to discipline the few to protect the masses. I do not believe the School Administrators back Teachers either. Too many internal politics. My Mother taught High School English for 33 years. I applaud her because she was tough. I heard some awful stories. Some of the worse were about administration though. Zero backbone. My Daughter was working on her Teaching Degree.......she is in her Junior year and has now decided to gain an Ag Business Degree instead. Hoping she goes in to Vet or Medical Sales.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #40
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

The only way I see anyone with small ones is to Home School. I see some of this stuff at private and small schools are just as bad if not worse. The public school systems in Texas for the most part in my opinion are broken. Blame you parents, school board members, TEA and state legislators, they are they one to blame!
Old 02-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #41
bswift355
Four Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post

As a parent I 100% agree with this. Too many parents expect others to raise their kids. If I got in trouble as a kid in school.....it was a problem. Parents did not put up with us being knuckleheads.

Also too many **** trophies being handed out. If everything is special, nothing truly is. Kids go off into the world thinking they are all Michael Jordan. Life lets them know they aren't. Now a generation is living at home with their parents crying themselves to sleep each night claiming they have PTSD.
bswift355 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 07:53 PM   #42
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

One of the biggest problems I see is not getting the turds out of the classroom which forces the teachers to spend more time on managing the classroom than teaching
If a kid (high school) doesn’t want to be in school and does nothing but cause problems then get him or her out of the class send them to vocational school and focus on the kids that want to be there. Many places in the world education is a privilege and kids are waiting in line to get in, it’s not viewed the same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OldRiverRat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 07:54 PM   #43
Landrover
Pope & Young

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
It’s all about them!!! And when things go south....we need someone else to blame
That meme sums it up big time!
[quote=ByronB;14708124]I believe it is bad Parenting, bad Public Policies, and bad judgement at Judicial levels. If the school systems were actually able to hold students accountable for poor actions then bad behavior would decrease. Just like the OP stated...his Step Daughter was called a b.... while substitute teaching. Nothing happens to the student aggressor. As long as students are allowed to be uncivil towards authority figures then the demise will continue. School systems must be allowed to discipline the few to protect the masses. I do not believe the School Administrators back Teachers either. Too many internal politics. My Mother taught High School English for 33 years. I applaud her because she was tough. I heard some awful stories. Some of the worse were about administration though. Zero backbone. My Daughter was working on her Teaching Degree.......she is in her Junior year and has now decided to gain an Ag Business Degree instead. Hoping she goes in to Vet or Medical Sales.[/QUOTE]
Smart young lady! Approximately 40,000 professional jobs go unfilled in Agriculture per year due to unqualified candidates, high retirement rates, and lower enrollment in AG. With the world population growing nearly unchecked she will be in a very good position if she is even half way aggressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
The only way I see anyone with small ones is to Home School. I see some of this stuff at private and small schools are just as bad if not worse. The public school systems in Texas for the most part in my opinion are broken. Blame you parents, school board members, TEA and state legislators, they are they one to blame!
Yessir, I think that line sums up what we have a front row view of now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bswift355 View Post
As a parent I 100% agree with this. Too many parents expect others to raise their kids. If I got in trouble as a kid in school.....it was a problem. Parents did not put up with us being knuckleheads.

Also too many **** trophies being handed out. If everything is special, nothing truly is. Kids go off into the world thinking they are all Michael Jordan. Life lets them know they aren't. Now a generation is living at home with their parents crying themselves to sleep each night claiming they have PTSD.
Ding, ding, ding! I have experienced that during my long years in corporate roles. If they don't have satisfactory advancements or recognition after 6 to 18 months they are ready to start interviewing outside of the organization. They cant figure out why they are not "special" anymore.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:55 PM   #44
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRat View Post
One of the biggest problems I see is not getting the turds out of the classroom which forces the teachers to spend more time on managing the classroom than teaching
If a kid (high school) doesn’t want to be in school and does nothing but cause problems then get him or her out of the class send them to vocational school and focus on the kids that want to be there. Many places in the world education is a privilege and kids are waiting in line to get in, it’s not viewed the same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Send them to the military, it was a valid option only 40 or 50 years ago.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:02 PM   #45
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

When you have a generation of kids growing up and being raised by social media, video games, and everybody telling them how great they are and giving participation trophies for everything they do .. this is what you get. We haven’t installed discipline and the fact you’re gonna have winners and losers in every thing . And sometimes your kid is a loser in one thing but that doesn’t mean they can’t be winners in something else
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 08:09 PM   #46
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:

Cousin shouldn't have said anything.

We had a coach in Hempstead lose his job after punching a kid in the face for calling him by his first and not Coach Green.

He got another coaching job a little ways away
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2020, 02:37 AM   #47
Roy
Ten Point

Quote:
This is a societal thing- on many levels at home and school. What is our part, as parents; the community's part (church, police, govt, etc...); and the school's part in raising a 'successful' child? We all know that the home is the foundation for a child's success. But the truth is, no one can force you to raise your child a certain way (at least not yet...). This is why parents are the TRUE source of the problem that we are dealing with in today's youth. So how can the community or schools negate 'bad' parenting?

Unfortunately, public education is the main thing we all have in common for our children- so much so that we assume (or more appropriately- demand) that the schools have an 'obligation' to negate the effects of bad parenting, so that the rest of our little angels that have to go to school with these 'heathens' will be able to have a great school year. This is why society (parents) turns it's focus, or blame, on public education. No one wants to look in the mirror! So then, how is public education failing?

First, why do kids have to go to school for 8 hours starting at Kindergarten? The answer has nothing to do with 'baby sitting'. Rather, the truth is because we continue to use an archaic industrial model that was designed to get 'tomorrow's' factory workers used to an 8 hour work day. We teach kids 'rules, expectations, procedures...', make them follow 'schedules', and 'grade/evaluate' their performance. Do these things sound familiar to you as an employer? And if our kids struggle with meeting these 'demands'- they are all of a sudden labeled 'turds', 'discipline issues', 'disrespectful', etc... We need to change this model, ASAP, as we are already significantly behind the times. We need to explore other POSITIVE ways/outlets to meet the needs of these 'bad kids'. Boot camp or juvenile detention is not the answer any more.

Second, children do not need technology at an early age to be successful. They need social interaction! This is where many parents, good or bad, fail. We let technology raise (rather- babysit) our kids because many of us simply don't know how to interact with little ones. Just slap an iPad in Jr.'s hands and he will be quiet so I can work, watch TV, etc... However, by the time these kids reach Kindergarten, they spazz out when they can't play with an iPad all day and have no clue how to 'play' with others. You can imagine what it's like to have a class full of these students. From the start of Kindergarten on up, there is a clash between what the schools expect your kids to be 'like' and what you, as parents, actually send them. No surprise, it's the school's 'obligation' to deal with this issue. And the school does this by labeling these kids as 'emotionally disturbed, ADHD, autistic, 504, discipline issue, special ed.', or any of the other multitude of behavioral labels that a school psychologist can come up with to justify their job. And all of these labels force teachers to follow the strict district/state/federal guidelines when 'teaching' your child. How effective can teachers truly be when they not only have to be responsible for content, but teaching that content 30 different ways in the same 1 hour period? This is something we, as society, need to address as well. One thing for certain, making class sizes 'bigger' is not the answer. And with a severe teacher shortage, smaller teacher/student ratios will not be a reality any time soon.

Third, no child starts their school day/year saying, "I can't wait to be a ****!" They do it because that is what is expected of them- in the class, home, and/or amongst their friends. And I have seen 'bad' kids come from bad homes AND good, loving homes. Again- if teachers 'expect' little Jimmy to be a ****, guess how they are going to treat him? Subsequently, guess how little Jimmy is going to react? This is why labels (see second point) can possibly stump a child's progress in class. The teachers already 'knows', and DREADS, your child based on this label- before he/she even steps a foot in their classes. Similar to how an employer 'knows' their applicants by checking references and prior employer evaluations in order to make a choice if the applicant even deserves an interview... yet teacher's can't turn away any of their applicants.

I can go on and on as to why we have these issues with some of today's youth in public education - from the perspective as an educator AND as a parent. Yes, it is frustrating dealing with disrespectful youth. But I have seen some AWESOME changes in these kids when we are able to find the right path through parental support, educational support, and community support.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2020, 03:00 AM   #48
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Both my kids are in private school...and I ain’t rich. My wife and have lived in our “starter” home for 20 years and my truck is 13 years old. I’m literally segregating my kids from the heathens and $&@#$& parents with *$&@=+&@$ kids.
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2020, 09:17 AM   #49
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Yall are right on a lot of topics so far. This is my 36th year in coaching. 34 of those in college. The 2 years I spent at a high school were a real eye opening experience for me. Never do that again. Id rather dig ditches.

There are still a lot of good kids out there for sure. But teachers and admins spend most of there day and time with the problem or troubled kids and their parents. The suprising part to me was home much time was spent with the top 20% of the students and their parents over stuip picky bull crap. We all expect the problems coming from the bottom 20% in our minds and there are problems with them.. The 60% in the middle that should get the attention do not. Doesnt this should like all of society today!

My wife was a school counselor for 35 years. She always thought by grade 10 a students academic past should determine if they finished on a technical graduation plan or a academic graduation plan. Academics are not for everyone. Technical trades are not for everyone.

My 31 year old daughter has been teaching now for 10 years and in admin for the past 3. In January she was promoted to Principal at her high school. I say a prayer for her everynight. She loves her job and the kids. She is working on her PHD. I have already been pushing her towards moving up to higher education.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #50
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
That's par for the course. My mom retired early due to similar issues with management. Sad too, she was an awesome teacher who could make kids from all walks of life understand how what they are doing will affect them later in life. Seems simple, but to explain to a kid that has nothing vs a kid whose had everything is a totally different approach, and she could convince both to stop acting like fools, at least in her class.

Sorry to hear that. Good teachers are worth their weight in gold.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top