Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-11-2020, 08:20 AM   #51
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSanders View Post
youre gonna get scurvy

Aargh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Graysonhogs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #52
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by hully1029 View Post
elimination processing. I like to see how my body is affected by different foods/diets.
Nice. Good luck. I did it for a 24 hours. I ended up craving carbs so bad I quit after a day. I didn't realize how much I like carbs.

Like Rogan said, I didn't have spikes or dips in energy, and was more irritable the whole time. That whole one day LOL, I suspect the bad mood would go away over time.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 09:24 AM   #53
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowthreat View Post
I don't agree with who he is voting for at all, but he's a huge advocate for hunting. One of the few hunters that is friends with people from both sides of the political spectrum. I'm not going to write him off just because of that.
Who cares if he hunts and talks about it. He is a Bernie Sanders supporter...nuff said.lol I have a hard time understanding the mentality of people who support that loon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 09:46 AM   #54
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Who cares if he hunts and talks about it. He is a Bernie Sanders supporter...nuff said.lol I have a hard time understanding the mentality of people who support that loon.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #55
Texasboy_fitnes
Four Point

It is sustainable for a period of time, just be sure to eat enough fats, that is where your body is going to get the lasting energy. And be sure to eat a variety of meats and keep red meat intake to only a couple of meals a week, it’s hard on your body to break down compared to fish and chicken.
Texasboy_fitnes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #56
JTCowpoke
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

I would argue that he isn't a Bernie supporter. He said in his podcast the he does not endorse Bernie and doesn't know who he is going to vote for. He went as far as saying that he doesn't follow politics very close and that no one should base who they vote for based on him.

He said the same about his diet and he is just reporting how it went for him.
JTCowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 04:08 PM   #57
Hex
Nubbin' Buck

It will do wonders for any inflammation or joint pain you may have. My brother has been doing it for the past 2 months and has had great success as an elimination diet for several food allergies. Has done amazing things for Jordan Peterson and his daughter.
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2020, 04:23 PM   #58
TwoHighways
Six Point

Nutrient deficient without organ meats as someone else stated. Any diet that is restrictive of refined carbs and omega 6 is a win in my book. If you want to do any diet right, you need to be checking how your blood glucose responds to foods you’re eating.
TwoHighways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 08:51 AM   #59
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Thinking of giving this a month long run to see what my body does. I've been semi-keto for a while and seen great results, but starting to plateau a bit. I have found my body is very reactive to carbohydrate intake.

For ones that don't know, the carnivore diet is only consuming animal based products. Obviously, no carbs. Also, no fruit, no vegetables, no cheese, dairy. Just plain meat, eggs, water.

I didn't see a previous thread.
Anyone tried it?
give me the cliff notes on why you would eliminate vegetables? i understand that carbs arent an essential macro and can see cutting them, but i would like to know what they say the reasoning is behind cutting vegetables.

if any of you podcast, Mindpump is pretty good. i use stitcher as my podcast app and can skim through all the titles and they do a pretty good job of listing what the main topic(s) will be of each one, i usually cut right to what i want to hear about. they talk a lot about diet and from what ive seen/read about the 3 hosts really know their stuff. they have all experimented at one time or another with every major diet that come out and talk about how it affected them.

i also feel like i am very reactive to carbs to have tried to cut them way back, seems to be working for now. i would like to lose 10-15lbs and may try carnivore to get that last bit off.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #60
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
give me the cliff notes on why you would eliminate vegetables? i understand that carbs arent an essential macro and can see cutting them, but i would like to know what they say the reasoning is behind cutting vegetables.
Because they are gross

Lol, seriously though, it's just another way to start to eat healthy. Most of the people I meet that have success as vegans or carnivores were people who ate like **** before, tons of carbs and processed foods. Elimination of those foods is really why they feel better, not the fact that they only eat meat or vegetables.

Like they say, shop around the edges of the grocery story, and you will be much healthier.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #61
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Why are you only “semi keto”? You’re aren’t going to get the benefits from any of these diets without fully committing
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #62
SneakyPhil
Ten Point

Hunt In: LANWR

What about alcohol?
SneakyPhil is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #63
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Because they are gross

Lol, seriously though, it's just another way to start to eat healthy. Most of the people I meet that have success as vegans or carnivores were people who ate like **** before, tons of carbs and processed foods. Elimination of those foods is really why they feel better, not the fact that they only eat meat or vegetables.

Like they say, shop around the edges of the grocery story, and you will be much healthier.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #64
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Why are you only “semi keto”? You’re aren’t going to get the benefits from any of these diets without fully committing
I disagree, the 80/20 rule is real. No need to go bawls deep unless you just want to or have a special need to be that strict.

Cutting out that majority of crap "food" products, sugary drinks, excess alcohol (VERY few people who drink do so at a level that is not detrimental), and even a little bit of excersize usually leads to huge improvements.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #65
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke

So, nailed it down and gonna give it a try for a month. Will be supplementing magnesium, potassium, vit c, and vit d with a good multivitamin.

6 days strict, 1 day lots of good veggies and fruits, just to stay within reason. My fruits and veggies choice are Brussels sprouts, green beans, baby spinach, watermelon, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries..

After 6 days of meat, the sweetness of a blueberry should be ridiculous.

I'm on day 3 and going great so far.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #66
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post

Cutting out that majority of crap "food" products, sugary drinks, excess alcohol (VERY few people who drink do so at a level that is not detrimental), and even a little bit of excersize usually leads to huge improvements.
I agree with this but it is called healthy lifestyle not keto, carnivore, whole30... whatever the diet someone is trying is. That's why I was curious as to why the OP was only "semi" keto, if its just to get a little better health and in shape then great its a good motivator. If it is to see how your body responds to ketosis and get the benefit of it why not go all in? Going on a carnivore diet and then having a cheat day full of fruit and veggies isn't going to tell you what your body does on a carnivore diet, it will tell you what your body does with a protein heavy diet

I was interested in the carnivore diet until I heard Rogan talk about explosive, unpredictable diarrhea for 2 weeks!
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 01:08 PM   #67
hully1029
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I agree with this but it is called healthy lifestyle not keto, carnivore, whole30... whatever the diet someone is trying is. That's why I was curious as to why the OP was only "semi" keto, if its just to get a little better health and in shape then great its a good motivator. If it is to see how your body responds to ketosis and get the benefit of it why not go all in? Going on a carnivore diet and then having a cheat day full of fruit and veggies isn't going to tell you what your body does on a carnivore diet, it will tell you what your body does with a protein heavy diet

I was interested in the carnivore diet until I heard Rogan talk about explosive, unpredictable diarrhea for 2 weeks!
You make some very valid points. When I said I was semi-keto, I referred mostly to not really being sure if I was in ketosis. When I first started, I cut my carbs down to less than 20 a day. I lost bunches and real fast, but last few weeks, I've stalled. I know my body is very carb/high GI food sensitive, so I figured cutting carbs to zero would help me get over that hump. This is not going to be a lifetime thing for me. Just trying to lose body fat, increase lean muscle mass, and significantly improve my blood profile. I didnt like hearing I was a stroke/diabetes risk at 30 years old.

Over the years, I've put clay on the wrong parts of my own sculpture.. time to shave some of that clay off and start to reshape myself.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:24 PM   #68
Radar
Pope & Young

Son, your gonna plug up your guts tighter than a clam's azz with all that meat. Ever time you go hockey, you will weep and plug up the toilet.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #69
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

Low carb works and you can still eat alot of good food. You just have to substitute low carb stuff in. I'm on day 10 of low carb and iv lost 22#, blood sugar hasn't been over 115 (I'm diabetic) and I feel much better. I'm gonna start adding in some cardio and workouts (elliptical and bowflex ordered yesterday). Its a lifestyle change for sure but I don't want to be dead before I'm 50 like my uncle.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 01:41 PM   #70
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

Also I was told that when I plateau on weightloss to fast for 24 hours then mow down a big steak.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 01:53 PM   #71
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

In for your ride
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #72
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Son, your gonna plug up your guts tighter than a clam's azz with all that meat. Ever time you go hockey, you will weep and plug up the toilet.
That's a myth
Old 02-12-2020, 05:43 PM   #73
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:
Thinking of giving this a month long run to see what my body does. I've been semi-keto for a while and seen great results, but starting to plateau a bit. I have found my body is very reactive to carbohydrate intake.

For ones that don't know, the carnivore diet is only consuming animal based products. Obviously, no carbs. Also, no fruit, no vegetables, no cheese, dairy. Just plain meat, eggs, water.

I didn't see a previous thread.
Anyone tried it?
First time I tried Atkins that's all I ate. Guess I've done the carnivore diet and didn't know it. By the second week, I was tired of meat.

I'm going to stick with reduced caloric intake, no alcohol, and reducing carbs (no chips, potatoes, rice, etc) and stick to protein, vegetables, and some fruit.

Good luck
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #74
TwoHighways
Six Point

Do what you can stick to.

OP, forget the watermelon. While there isn’t much sugar in a serving, it’s very high GI fruit. If you want to experiment with carbs, buy a glucometer. If you want to do nutritional ketosis right, buy a blood ketone meter.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:37 PM   #75
MetalMan2004
Eight Point

Unless you’re truly allergic, I have a hard time believing fresh veggies are bad for anyone.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 10:00 AM   #76
hully1029
Pope & Young

Welp, day 6 and I feel great.

If you try to meal prep, this is meal preppers dream. Plus, this is VERY inexpensive..

Breakfast-eggs/bacon
Lunch-Ribeye
Preworkout meal-ground beef/venison
Supper-chicken thighs

For the main concern- digestive discomfort. None.

No diarrhea, no constipation. Frequency has gone down by half. Only go once every other day and I don't feel at all like I'm holding food in my gut or bloated or constipated at all.

Down 4 pounds so far. Gonna roast up some brussels sprouts tonight and might have a few strawberries. But other than that, this is easy peasy.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #77
tonyt79
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over

Gonna have to come back later and read this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonyt79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 02:44 PM   #78
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:

If you try to meal prep, this is meal preppers dream. Plus, this is VERY inexpensive..

Breakfast-eggs/bacon
Lunch-Ribeye
Supper-chicken thighs

No diarrhea, no constipation. Frequency has gone down by half. Only go once every other day and I don't feel at all like I'm holding food in my gut or bloated or constipated at all.

Down 4 pounds so far. Gonna roast up some brussels sprouts tonight and might have a few strawberries. But other than that, this is easy peasy.

It's been the same for me on keto. Much less indigestion than before. Never feel bloated anymore, like what happens on a bunch of carbs.

It's similar to when I used to have bird dogs. When I fed them cheap dog food, they'd crap a ton. When I fed them expensive nutrient dense food that wasn't mostly corn and grains, they digested and used most of the food, so there wasn't much left to pile up in the yard.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #79
hully1029
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post

It's been the same for me on keto. Much less indigestion than before. Never feel bloated anymore, like what happens on a bunch of carbs.

It's similar to when I used to have bird dogs. When I fed them cheap dog food, they'd crap a ton. When I fed them expensive nutrient dense food that wasn't mostly corn and grains, they digested and used most of the food, so there wasn't much left to pile up in the yard.
Ahh... the lovely life of zero indigestion.. I had it bad before I went keto. Its had gotten less and less to now it's nothing. I'm confident I can eat anything spicy i want right now and not have any issues.

Old 02-16-2020, 02:46 PM   #80
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post

Yup, humans have a difficult time digesting most plant matter other than starches, that does NOT mean they are bad for you just that we dont digest cellulose since we aren't ruminants.

Going low carb/paleo was like flipping a switch for acid reflux for me. It went away pretty much immediately.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:52 PM   #81
gscout01
Six Point

I eat probably 98% animal based products now. Mostly wild game other than eggs and pork rinds and ribeyes here and there. I eat whatever fish I catch. Other than the occasional vegetables (rarely) it has changed my life. No more inflammation! I dont hurt all over anymore. No more indigestion. I sleep way better than I have in a long time. Have more energy. Have lost weight. Added muscle. Improved my mood. I feel lighter on my feet. My blood pressure is insanely better. If I eat carbs (Like a chicken fried steak or beer) I feel like crud the next day. Knees and back hurt again. Arthritis in surgery location hurts again. My gas is so bad I can nock a buzzard off a limb. I feel weighed down and tired just like before.

That's just my personal experience. Take it for what it's worth! It's probably not something I will stay on forever. Just due to convenience. But "lower" carb will forever be a part of my life.
gscout01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 09:28 PM   #82
hully1029
Pope & Young

Had a small cheat night tonight. Been straight meat and water for 6 days.

Tonight had some actually really, really good makeshift keto ramen noodles. Just heated up the noodles (pictured) and added the spice (pictured).. and viola.. was actually really tasty.

Also heated up some breakfast sausage and topped it with single ingredient peanut butter (pictured) and sugar free syrup. Ended it with a CaraCara orange. SO MUCH FLAVOR AND SWEETNESS!!

Back on meat tomorrow!

Old 02-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #83
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Nice. Dont forget the organ meats. Wont borher you yet, especially since you're having one "cheat day", but it'll catch yeah. Love a good liver n eggs with homemade tabasco sauce.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #84
TwoHighways
Six Point

I’m having a hard time developing a taste for liver, but then again, I don’t need to eat it anyway as I get micronutrients a steak only diet is lacking from greens. If you stall out on keto, you’re eating too much or you’re not really in nutritional ketosis.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:04 AM   #85
JTCowpoke
Eight Point

Thanks for the update.
JTCowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #86
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

so far... so good! I did my first Sous Vide ribeyes on Saturday... My family told me they were the best steaks they'd every eaten anywhere!! And I think I'd have to say they were right up there with some of the best I've had too... Started with prime cuts tho... I'm sorry to say, I forgot pix... But I can tell you, I could get very used to this diet!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #87
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:

Breakfast-eggs/bacon
Lunch-Ribeye
Supper-chicken thighs

Can you elaborate on quantities you are eating? I ask because for the amount I needed to eat, our grocery bill would go up about 35%, and it part of the reason I have no desire to go full carnivore.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:39 AM   #88
hully1029
Pope & Young

Sure!

Breakfast is usually 3-4 pieces of bacon or sausage with 5 eggs cooked in the hot grease.

Lunch is usually either a 10oz steak (tbone or ribeye) or 1 lb of ground.

Supper is a pound of boneless, skinless chicken thighs.

It's cheap FOR ME because-
*we have chickens, means we dont have to buy eggs

*I was lucky enough to harvest 3 deer this year, meaning I have ground for days.

*boneless, skinless chicken breast is ridiculously cheap. I bought 3.5 pounds at walmart for 8 bucks and some change.

*my inlaws gift us a 1/4 cow every year for Christmas. God Bless them..

So, I'm only having to actually purchase the chicken thighs and bacon/sausage, as I have everything else already. Total cost for me if I stick to above runs me about $70 a month.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #89
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Something else you can do to help with the expense of buying the meat, is to cook the meat Sous Vide... If you do that, you can buy lesser quality cuts of meat and leave them in the Sous Vide for a longer time to cook and it will tenderize the meat and actually improve the flavor... You can actually take top round and sous vide it to the point, it's almost like eating a fillet...
Old 02-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #90
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Can you elaborate on quantities you are eating? I ask because for the amount I needed to eat, our grocery bill would go up about 35%, and it part of the reason I have no desire to go full carnivore.

I imagine there are plenty of places to cut out of your current bill to lower that 35%. Otherwise you are saying everything you buy now is a “necessity”.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #91
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Sure!

Breakfast is usually 3-4 pieces of bacon or sausage with 5 eggs cooked in the hot grease.

Lunch is usually either a 10oz steak (tbone or ribeye) or 1 lb of ground.

Supper is a pound of boneless, skinless chicken thighs.

It's cheap FOR ME because-
*we have chickens, means we dont have to buy eggs

*I was lucky enough to harvest 3 deer this year, meaning I have ground for days.

*boneless, skinless chicken breast is ridiculously cheap. I bought 3.5 pounds at walmart for 8 bucks and some change.

*my inlaws gift us a 1/4 cow every year for Christmas. God Bless them..

So, I'm only having to actually purchase the chicken thighs and bacon/sausage, as I have everything else already. Total cost for me if I stick to above runs me about $70 a month.

Good information there. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #92
hully1029
Pope & Young

Yet, one of the best things from this or keto.. this is after a morning workout and finishing a meal about 45 mins ago. Blood glucose level

Old 02-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #93
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Something else you can do to help with the expense of buying the meat, is to cook the meat Sous Vide... If you do that, you can buy lesser quality cuts of meat and leave them in the Sous Vide for a longer time to cook and it will tenderize the meat and actually improve the flavor... You can actually take top round and sous vide it to the point, it's almost like eating a fillet...

Sous vide is legit! It's the way to go for thick cuts!
Old 02-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #94
Hex
Nubbin' Buck

Ditto!
Old 02-17-2020, 04:50 PM   #95
Hex
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout01 View Post
I eat probably 98% animal based products now. Mostly wild game other than eggs and pork rinds and ribeyes here and there. I eat whatever fish I catch. Other than the occasional vegetables (rarely) it has changed my life. No more inflammation! I dont hurt all over anymore. No more indigestion. I sleep way better than I have in a long time. Have more energy. Have lost weight. Added muscle. Improved my mood. I feel lighter on my feet. My blood pressure is insanely better. If I eat carbs (Like a chicken fried steak or beer) I feel like crud the next day. Knees and back hurt again. Arthritis in surgery location hurts again. My gas is so bad I can nock a buzzard off a limb. I feel weighed down and tired just like before.

That's just my personal experience. Take it for what it's worth! It's probably not something I will stay on forever. Just due to convenience. But "lower" carb will forever be a part of my life.

Ditto!
Old 02-18-2020, 12:48 PM   #96
hully1029
Pope & Young

Breakfast. 1lb ground beef

Old 02-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #97
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Breakfast. 1lb ground beef

Man, you could have Sous Vide that ground beef with some eggs n spices and a little bacon fat and made yourself a feast that actually tasted good!
Old 02-18-2020, 02:26 PM   #98
Els16
Nubbin' Buck

I can get behind this diet
Els16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2020, 02:36 PM   #99
hully1029
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Man, you could have Sous Vide that ground beef with some eggs n spices and a little bacon fat and made yourself a feast that actually tasted good!
I could've.. but I'm lazy.. haha

Cast iron with paleo powder pink seasoning.. actually pretty dang good. I will add some bacon fat next time tho!

Old 02-18-2020, 05:51 PM   #100
jshouse
Pope & Young

I make 2 dozen eggs muffins on Sundays when I have time, throw some chopped bacon/sausage/ham in there and they are a great quick meal.