Evergreen Privacy Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evergreen Privacy Trees

Does anyone have experience with establishing Evergreen Privacy trees? We are looking to “build a wall” for some privacy... they must be trees, no bushes or shrubs.
    Arizona Cypress?
    Thuja?
    Leyland Cypress?

We are in central Texas with access to plenty of irrigation water.

junipers might work also. they grow pretty fast

Comment

Bamboo grows fast, but you'll have to cut it back every couple of years.

Comment

Also interested in this, would be nice if someone had a hook up on the pricing.

Comment

i used italian cypress from lowes, they were like 75$ each for the smaller 6-9ft ones.
          You can purchase larger more established ones but they get really expensive..

Comment

Look at the Japanese Yew. They get big and make a great natural privacy wall.

Comment

I'd steer clear of Leland Cypress. I have seen a lot of nice LC hedges get the crud and die off. One turns brown and then it goes down the line.

I prefer Cryptomeria.

As far as tree size and planting, I like to use a 3 gallon plant when doing privacy screens. The larger you go the tougher it is for the plant to survive and the more maintenance it takes.

I buy my plants form a wholesale nursery down in Florida that is an hour from my in laws house. I'll buy a few hundred and go pick them up.

As an example, a 3 gallon NRS Holly is $6.95 at LS and a 1 gallon NRS Holly is $25.99 at Home Depot.

A 3 gallon LC at LS is $7.95. At HD it's $56.99. https://www.homedepot.com/p/OnlinePl...40G3/311756017

$56.99 seems extra high. I recall them being $18-$20 in the stores last year.

If you need a lot of plants find a wholesale nursery.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                Also interested in this, would be nice if someone had a hook up on the pricing.

A bit of a drive for y'all TX folks.

Comment

I’ve got plenty of ash juniper at deer camp that you can dig up and take for free. In fact, you can take them all.

Same goes for rocks.

Comment

Eastern Red Cedar is all over the road sides for free. That stuff pops up and grows like crazy all over the place, plus the smaller ones will pull out of the sand with ease. Guess that's why its called in invasive species.

Comment

There is a guy on here who said his family had a wholesale nursery in Stephenville. Forgot the name but I found it when searching for something similar.

You might consider planting Egyptian wheat or something similar as a quicker growing but temporary "hedge" until the trees fill in. I've also been reading a lot about this stuff on Facebook, they say it will survive in Texas.

Comment

West Texas Nursery has been producing high-quality, affordable tree and shrub seedlings for over 40 years. Opened in 1978, West Texas Nursery is the only Texas A&M Forest Service-operated seedling nursery in the state. Around 15 different tree species are produced for sale annually.

Comment

Bamboo has really got me thinking now

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                            Bamboo has really got me thinking now
                            Think some more. :-) Stuff goes nuts. If you go this route you almost need to pour concrete in a trench or bury used conveyor belt material to keep it from spreading.
                            Last edited by RR 314; 02-06-2020, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I also would say rethink bamboo. It ill end up in places you don't want it and it is a bear to get rid of.

Comment

Working...
                              X