Concerned about dog's weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concerned about dog's weight

Hey guys, my 18 month old male Draht is skin and bones. I'm feeding him more then recommended, I'm adding Tripe, I'm letting him stay inside at night. But he looks like those dogs that you see on the news. The female is looking great, her weight is staying right were it should be. Also, we give them all their shots, anti flea and ticks, wormers. But there has to be something i'm missing. Someone said when the males go through puberty they loose weight. But I don't know to this extent.

Has anyone else had weight issues? And what did you do?

In for this. I have a 2 YO Ridgeback that looks like i'm starving him. My other Ridgeback looks like he should but is two years older.

Comment

Vet seems like the obvious answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
        Vet seems like the obvious answer.
        X2

Comment

Have you wormed him for tapes ?

Comment

x3 Try taking it to a vet.

Comment

Get that dog to the vet ASAP.

Comment

I have an almost 2 year old GSP I have the same issue with.

She’s dropped 10lbs this quail season, I feed her high fat food this time of year.

Her ribs and spine are starting to show.

Vet said she’s fine and it’s normal for bird dogs this time of year.

Comment

Is he getting enough water? My weim was having a problem keeping weight. I upped his water intake and he has maintained perfect weight since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yes i've kept them both in clean water. I was feeding him Victor high Performance and added Primal Trippe to each of his feedings. We are taking him in. Other then the weight he is healthy, actually looks like his muscles are growing.

Comment

If feeding doesn’t work, try starving him.

Comment

We had that happen to our dog. The vet said it was a reaction to the flea medicine. Poor thing got so skinny we thought he was gonna die. But he made a full recovery.

Comment

It's been several years ago, but I had a female doing the same thing. I took her to the vet and they said she was having trouble processing the high protein food I was feeding. Can't remember which organ they said was the culprit, but I changed her food and she got better. I also had the same problem with 7 dogs at the same time when I was feeding diamond high pro food. Like mentioned above, have him tested for tape and whip worms. Most wormers don't get those. Hope everything comes out ok, but it's probably going to require blood and fecal testing to get to the root of it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

[quote=super_dave;13104873]If feeding doesn’t work, try starving him.[/qu
                            Last edited by Coup de Grace; 01-16-2018, 05:54 AM.

Comment

rotate your wormers

Comment

Working...
                              X