Parents of kids!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    I don't use a lot of Calculus, Algebra, Latin, history of Russian literature or flaunt my SAT score in my everyday life. MY parents pushed me to WORK HARD. In school, athletics, my job, whatever....working hard was expected, even demanded. That has served me well. I hire a lot of people, and i'll take a hard worker over an educated idiot any day!!!!
    Originally posted by doghouse View Post
    This^^^ I was taught from day 1 in my life to roll up your sleeves to make a decent living. Whether working for yourself with a few employees are for a company.
    Originally posted by rtp View Post
    This exactly. I think if a kid is giving it everything he has that is what is important. Half assing something is something that wasnt tolerated in my house. I get so sick of this idea that every kid needs to go to college to get a degree. It seems if they dont, they are looked down upon. There are so many ways to make a great living that dont require a college degree. Teach your kids to work hard and pursue what they like and are good at.

I am not a college graduate...I wish I was, but here we are... I have recently taken over the family business and I'm super fortunate to have the "previous owners" to talk with anytime I want. Some times it seems like I'm now trying to learn 40 years of their experience with general business stuff that they learned the hard way when forced to. Not to minimize their knowledge or under value it, but it seems like this is where I'm most lacking in my "education" such as it is.

I'm, trying to look forward to my son reaching college age, and trying to think about how to help steer him along toward a career, and also work my way through this new learning phase at the same time. It seems to me that a 2 year general business, or business management type degree would be the most useful to any young person who is not wanting to specialize and focus on a specific part of a specific field. I know a lot of people who go to college pick a degree and never use it specifically because they just have to take "A" job to get going, and end up staying in that field.

I guess what I'm asking is...short of a Dr, Lawyer, or some other very specialized field...is a 4 yr degree worth it anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      I am not a college graduate...I wish I was, but here we are... I have recently taken over the family business and I'm super fortunate to have the "previous owners" to talk with anytime I want. Some times it seems like I'm now trying to learn 40 years of their experience with general business stuff that they learned the hard way when forced to. Not to minimize their knowledge or under value it, but it seems like this is where I'm most lacking in my "education" such as it is.

I'm, trying to look forward to my son reaching college age, and trying to think about how to help steer him along toward a career, and also work my way through this new learning phase at the same time. It seems to me that a 2 year general business, or business management type degree would be the most useful to any young person who is not wanting to specialize and focus on a specific part of a specific field. I know a lot of people who go to college pick a degree and never use it specifically because they just have to take "A" job to get going, and end up staying in that field.

I guess what I'm asking is...short of a Dr, Lawyer, or some other very specialized field...is a 4 yr degree worth it anymore?
      Lot's of discussion about that question these days.

Comment

It really depends on what they want to do. I know that sounds like a cop out answer but it’s the truth.

Comment

Seems like a good path... to end up with starving artist who can’t manage their money because they can’t do basic math, musicians with no other skill, and entrepreneurs who can’t write a business plan to get their idea funded, by people who do understand math and English.

Comment

Good stuff... if only my dad would’ve got this letter I would’ve gotten a whole lot less azz whoopings growing up.

Comment

I started the thread and there are no right are wrong answers. I agree with lot's of what he said from my personal experience in High School.

Comment

I was the first from my immidate family to graduate from college with a degree. Wasn't with honors or ribbons but just getting by the best I could. My brother and sisters followed suit. And my oldest big baby sister graduated with honors is now an executive at Hewlitt Packard. A college degree doesn't mean you're going to be successful it just opens doors. Lot of college educated idiots out there making above minimum wage. My adopted grandpa is a multimillionaire on a Highschool diploma. It's all about how hard are you willing to work and learn

Comment

I'm going to say no, unless it's a requirement for whatever you want to do now or possibly later on. I use very little of the book knowledge I learned in the world of academia in what I do now but did along the path that led me here. My wife and I both have master's degrees, all 3 of our kids will have the opportunity to go to college (one has already graduated, second is a sophomore, third still in hs) but it wouldn't be a horrible thing for me if they chose not to. Like Curtintex, we're a whole lot more interested in our kids being workers and productive (and not soft).

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                    Seems like a good path... to end up with starving artist who can’t manage their money because they can’t do basic math, musicians with no other skill, and entrepreneurs who can’t write a business plan to get their idea funded, by people who do understand math and English.
                    I didn't see where it said anyone shouldn't be able to balance their checkbook, or punctuate a sentence... Only that the occasional B- in algebra isn't gonna keep a kid from getting where they want to go. Or that's what I derived from "doesn't receive top marks".

Comment

I push both my kids. Have a senior in High school that just brought home one C and the rest Bs. He was diagnosed autistic years ago and at the time reccomended he attend different classes. He is not in advanced classes just general classes. Life is hard and nobody is going to give two craps when it's time for him to be in the working world. I'm proud of him and told him he made good
                      Grades. My youngest is in advanced classes and brought home all As and one B. I rode him today as he is capable of better. If either of my kids teachers hand me this note I would ball it up-hand it back- and explain to them where they could insert it.
                      Last edited by glen; 01-17-2018, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Life is results driven. Life is also about learning from failure and overcoming/mitigating your inefficiencies. Allowing my kid to strive for a grade of 65 in any class just because that subject isn't his/hers best subject, isn't going to happen. As parents it is our job to push our children and help them succeed. I will not beat my child for a bad grade but I will dang sure use that failure as teaching point. I hope to be involved with my children's life to a degree that will allow me to know when they are slacking in a class and when they are honestly struggling. You can't take the easy route as a parent. A little common sense and understanding why your child is struggling needs to be applied.

Comment

Originally posted by stickemhard3 View Post
                          Life is results driven. Life is also about learning from failure and overcoming/mitigating your inefficiencies. Allowing my kid to strive for a grade of 65 in any class just because that subject isn't his/hers best subject, isn't going to happen.
                          I have an 18 year old that cannot get into college (except Junior College) because he refused to apply himself and was satisfied with "Just Passing". I've explained to him, these are poor decisions coming home to roost. We have given him the option.. Junior College, Trade/Tech School, Military, or being accepted into a Trade Apprenticeship program.

I'm not here to tell you it is going to be OK and alright. I'm here as his father to move him to being a productive member of society, taxpayer, husband, father, etc. We are headed to Waco next week to tour TSTI for him to look at entering one of their programs.

Comment

1st place trophies for everyone, no one loses or fails.

Comment

i was never a straight "A" student. sometimes had plenty of "B' and "C" averages through out grade school and also on into college where I graduated with a bachelors of science degree. I see it as grades just being a letter in the alphabet. if you study and put forth the effort but still come up short, then you have done your very best and should be okay with the outcome because you know you did everything you could have done. no need to punish or talk down on kids or anyone else for not making the grade someone else thinks you should have gotten. instead lift them up and encourage them that what they have achieved is good enough. I know of some people growing up never had to study or open a book to pass a test with flying colors. I on the other hand had to study my butt off and sometimes I still fell short....just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                                I have an 18 year old that cannot get into college (except Junior College) because he refused to apply himself and was satisfied with "Just Passing". I've explained to him, these are poor decisions coming home to roost. We have given him the option.. Junior College, Trade/Tech School, Military, or being accepted into a Trade Apprenticeship program.

I'm not here to tell you it is going to be OK and alright. I'm here as his father to move him to being a productive member of society, taxpayer, husband, father, etc. We are headed to Waco next week to tour TSTI for him to look at entering one of their programs.
                                like my recent post, I had to study my tail off in a few subjects to "just pass" and sometimes sweet talk the college professors to "just pass" and if that was the case of "Just passing" I was okay with that as those were my weak points and I knew it. did I hang my head about "just passing"...NO, I didn't let it bother or get to me. with that being said from someone who "just passed" is now earning a 6 figure income on a yearly basis. so if that is the best someone can do, then no need to have shame about it. just my 2 cents

Comment

Working...
                                X