No announcement yet.

That “Smell “

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smell of zippo and the lighter fluid...my dads still around but if i smell it anywhere i immediately think of him...old leatherneck!!

Comment

I was lucky enough to grow up with two different men I called "Dad". My stepdad was a sailor and the smell of his uniform and sea bag was very distinctive and hard to replicate. But it's a smell I will never forget. When I have come across it, it immediately takes me back to being a young boy anxiously waiting for him on the dock to get off the submarine after being gone to "sea" for months on end.

Comment

My grandfather owned a welding shop. When I go to my pops and he's been working on metal it brings back good memories.

Comment

I have a foot locker with my old gear in it that still smells like Iraq. Yea, I don’t open it unless I have to.

Comment

Every time I go fishing, it takes me back to my time spent in the Reynosa Boy’s Town as a teenager

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The smell of rimfire smoke on a cold morning.
              Damp woods in the fall.
              Diesel exhaust on a cold morning (takes me back to warming up the M60 tanks in the morning)
              Range cubes.
              Rain in the summer.

Comment

Dad was a mechanic and that "smell" takes me back 60 years to when he would take me back to work after dinner with him.

Smells really evoke long-held memories. For me, a sniff of "OFF!" takes me back to Duck Creek and the green canvas-covered canoe.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  My Pawpaw smoked a pipe. Sometimes I will smell one that takes me back to when I was a kid

My dad smoked a pipe as well. Don't smell it very often but when I do it's an instant trigger. I usually smell a few freshly spent shotgun shells. They remind me of riding around on his shoulders while he was hunting rabbits

Comment

The smell of watermelon or Liquorice when you are down wind of feeding trout on the bay.

Comment

There's a few smells like that for me. 2-stroke exhaust is a big one. That shop/oil/diesel/welding smell, mixed with cigarettes also. I smoked a bit after HS, but even now all these years later, I still get the urge to smoke while fishing and sitting on a deer stand. Kinda funny.

Another smell that I'd completely forgotten about... sweet gum tree. There was a certain smell at my grandmothers house, that I'd always thought was the creek behind her house in the hill country. Then one day it hit me as I was walking through Downtown Houston and all of that came flooding in(this was the year my grandmother died). Took me a few minutes, but figured out the smell was due to the sweetgum trees next to the entrance to the building.

Comment

Dad smoked a pipe on occasion and the smell of Sir Walter Raleigh always takes me to him in my mind. The other thing is every dove season dad would smell the hull of the first shot he took. Thought it was odd when I was a kid but I now do it every time. The smell of that hot plastic and burnt powder instantly brings dad to my side in the field. He and I have hunted together more times than I can count since he passed in 86.

Richard D. Junker Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                          The smell of watermelon or Liquorice when you are down wind of feeding trout on the bay.
                          This

Comment

The smell of cow manure reminds me of Lyme disease

Comment

Grocery stores smell different today than they did when I started working in them in 1975. I spent 31 years in them and every now and then I can go into an old store in a small town that hasn`t been updated and still has old fixtures and the smell reminds me of when I was 16 and sacking groceries.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                                The smell of cow manure reminds me of Lyme disease

It's very rare that this happens, mostly because I'm not around too many smokers and those I am around don't smoke Lark...but let me catch a whif of a Lark cigarette, it has a distinctive smell me, and I'm automatically in a 14' jon boat on the Trinity River with my grandpa.

Comment

Working...
                                X