5/16 or 11/32 Shafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5/16 or 11/32 Shafts

So I’m wanting to build my first set of wood arrows for my recurve. I’ve been looking at shafts and am wondering if there is a huge difference between the two popular sizes 5/16 or 11/32. I’m not a math genius but that doesn’t seem like a lot of difference. What’s yalls experience?

You can see and feel the difference. I made cedar arrows (11/32) for decades but cedar got so hard to get for a while that I started buying Ramen wood arrows with the smaller diameter and really liked them. They do break easier, a little more brittle. May have to give your string a twist or two if switching back and forth to line up your knock point.
    I haven't built any for a long time so others may have more recent advice.

Comment

The 11/32nds is a 32nd larger than 5/16.[emoji3]

Gary

Comment

Depends on your bows poundage 5/16 can only go so far on cedar

Comment

Depends on the spine. I have 23/64th cedar shafts that spine out for a 35 pound bow. If you can find the large diameter shaft in the spine you need that is what I would use.

Comment

Bow is 50# @ 28”

DRT - I see what you did there ! That’s why I’m asking the question. I was doin the math and am thinking that A 32nd can’t make that much of a difference, but maybe it can.

Comment

Also, what is yalls opinions between cedar, ash, spruce....etc.

Comment

Since I dabbled quite a bit as a fletcher, here are my 2 cents: the 11/32 will be a little heavier but, as others mentioned, they will be slightly more durable.
                They will also give you a little more mass if you are looking at a heavier hunting arrow.
                My favorite types were 11/32 tapering down to 5/16 at the nock.

Comment

Horsehide - where would a guy find tapered down blanks like your talking about ?

Comment

Originally posted by RackstackerG5 View Post
                    Horsehide - where would a guy find tapered down blanks like your talking about ?
                    3Rivers.

Comment

I used to get them from Rogue River Archery. They sold the business and it is now called Wapiti Archery POC. They will be the ones I get when I get back into making arrows.

Comment

I like Douglas fir. Your bow will want a lighter spined 11/32 shaft than the 5/16”. The fatter the arrow, the further you are from center. Like mentioned, some heavier spines won’t be available in 5/16”.

Comment

Get some surewoods.
                          You can get them tapered, cut or whatever.
                          Great shafts!

Comment

Originally posted by MEsquivel View Post
                            Get some surewoods.
                            You can get them tapered, cut or whatever.
                            Great shafts!
                            I heard good things about these guys too and will likely try their tapered shafts.

Comment

Also, what is yalls opinions between cedar, ash, spruce....etc.
                              Spruce is a bit lighter than cedar and makes a great target arrow, Cedar 5/16 vs 11/32 vs 23/64 as you increase diameter you ,in most cases, increase shaft weight. If you compress shafts to a smaller diameter you loose spine but keep the weight. Fir is heavier than cedar and makes a good hunting arrow. I used to hunt exclusively with cedar but have yet to have a shaft survive a deer. I now use spruce and cedar for 3-D and fir for hunting. IMHO, DG

Comment

Working...
                              X