Alright Guys I want to come Back!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright Guys I want to come Back!!!

I have decided I want to come back to the Trad side for my hunts here in Texas!!! I love my compound.. But its not real hard to shoot a deer at 20 yards here in Texas.. I miss the practice that comes with Traditional hunting.

Now my question.. Back when I stopped the trad hunting I was shooting a Sarrels Blueridge S/r.. That Said this go round I think I want to go with a recurve.. So if I were to have a $600 budget what would you go with?? used or new. I would love to hunt with a Bear of some kind.. but Im open to whatever..

Depends on what fits you. A Bear would work out perfectly in your price range. A grizzly would probably be the only ones you could get new. They are 400. The Kodiaks run about 850 new. Used bows are endless at 600 and below. My Bob Lee feels 10 pounds lighter than it is and is a really smooth shooter! You can find them used at a pretty good price. You can also find Bears of the older variety very reasonable. Leatherwall has loads for sale in the classifieds. Also if you have Facebook, barebow hunters classifieds is good too. Good luck on your search!

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
      Depends on what fits you. A Bear would work out perfectly in your price range. A grizzly would probably be the only ones you could get new. They are 400. The Kodiaks run about 850 new. Used bows are endless at 600 and below. My Bob Lee feels 10 pounds lighter than it is and is a really smooth shooter! You can find them used at a pretty good price. You can also find Bears of the older variety very reasonable. Leatherwall has loads for sale in the classifieds. Also if you have Facebook, barebow hunters classifieds is good too. Good luck on your search!
      I have always wanted a Bob Lee.. I have never seen one in the price range I was willing to spend.. That said I would spend a little more right now if I needed..

Comment

Relatively new to the site, and didn't realize your roots were in Trad, JT. Far as I'm concerned you hold "hero" status if only for the elk kill in NM. Can't really recommend a particular bow, but I know Bob Sarrels is good to deal with and can make whatever you might want for a reasonable price. Anyway, glad to see you on the Trad side -- the Fun Side!

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
          Relatively new to the site, and didn't realize your roots were in Trad, JT. Far as I'm concerned you hold "hero" status if only for the elk kill in NM. Can't really recommend a particular bow, but I know Bob Sarrels is good to deal with and can make whatever you might want for a reasonable price. Anyway, glad to see you on the Trad side -- the Fun Side!

Haha I wouldn’t say my “roots” are trad. After college I was really bored with my compound and spent two years shooting trad. I killed like 25-30 pigs and 3-4 deer with a trad bow. 90% of my shots were under 10 yards and I killed my biggest whitetail ever. I suck at shooting a trad bow past 12 yards. Thats why I stopped when I started going on destination hunts. Here is my buck.

That said I kinda miss it. I am a bowhunter. I like getting close and I like doing stuff that challenges me. Whitetail hunting In Texas with a compound doesn’t get me excited ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yee Haw! I look forward to the LDPs JT.

Comment

Gary

Comment

Go to the Cowtown TBOT shoot in June. If I'm there (hoping to make it, but not sure) I'll let you try my Toelke. You can find one used through RMSG fairly regularly.

Comment

Whatever dude!!! You love 76 yard shots and sliding sites!!! Get out of here with that stuff!!!

Comment

Yea RMSG here by the house has a lot of used bows, I mean a lot. You can look at them on their sight.

Comment

I feel your pain lol while it’s not that easy for me to get to 20 yards, I still enjoy the heck out of a tradbow. Got an rx1 because I thought I had to have it. While it’s an awesome bow, I can’t help but want another tradbow! Gonna have to trade or sell it I am sure lol. Good luck and your “new” endeavor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can get a lot more bow for the money if you stay away from Bear. There are lots of good bows out there for the budget you are working with. I think perhaps a three piece Bob Lee could be found. Every now and then you can even find a Blacktail Sitka for that price. The Blacktails are beautiful bows and the Lees are just a little behind them.

You didn't mention your draw length or what poundage. If you can pull over fifty pounds there are some good deals out there.

Comment

There are plenty of used bows that can be had for your price range but I'll make a suggestion to the other side of things. For that price range you could easily get a 17"-19" ILF 'Hunting' riser and multiple sets of limbs of varying weights to play with. You can even get recurve and longbow limbs for the same riser. The tunability of the ILF system is what makes it so appealing to me.

Comment

Chackworth on here can probably hook you up with one of his DryCreek Recurves.

Comment

JT - my advise - based on reading your other posts - your hunts - etc.. the fact that you aren't giving up the compound - I would highly recommend you look at the Black Widow takedown recurves - PCH/PMA/PSA. I don't remember which compound bow you shoot - but chances are it is a high grip and you'll like the higher, beefier grip and weight of the BW recurve. I have no doubt you will like dealing with Roger and staff if you buy new.

They are not cheap - but they will last. And - it wouldn't surprise me if you eventually took it with you on some of your out of state hunts.

Comment

Working...
                              X