Its a cool hunt!!!!

Good luck!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      Its a cool hunt!!!!

Good luck!

Bisch
      Thanks Ive hunted it once before. Had a blast. Cant wait to get back up there.

Comment

Good luck! Got the big GOOSE-EGG again!!

Hopefully you can catch a decent weather pattern that week. Last time I hunted that weekend, it was hitting 90 degrees in the afternoon!

Comment

Got deer creek 11-15 with Chris. Going to be a fun hunt.

Comment

Ill see you there���� And then get to hunt again in November with tommy haha

Comment

I'll see you guys on the 18th as well. In with a golden ticket from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
                Got Drawn For Hominy Unit 10/18-10/20.

Have you hunted Hominy before?

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Arra View Post
                  Have you hunted Hominy before?
                  No I have not hunted the hominy unit before. Only deer creek

Comment

For those of you who have hunted there....
                    Is most of the hunting out of a stand or are there even trees big enough for that on the units?

How much freedom do you get to set up where you want? Do they just stick you in a small area or do you have to work it out with the other hunters in a bigger area?

The success rates seem pretty low. Is that due to the trad bow requirement or are guys not seeing many deer or is everyone just holding out for big ones?

I was really close to applying this year but decided I have too many tags already

Comment

Good questions.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                        For those of you who have hunted there....
                        Is most of the hunting out of a stand or are there even trees big enough for that on the units?

How much freedom do you get to set up where you want? Do they just stick you in a small area or do you have to work it out with the other hunters in a bigger area?

The success rates seem pretty low. Is that due to the trad bow requirement or are guys not seeing many deer or is everyone just holding out for big ones?

I was really close to applying this year but decided I have too many tags already
                        You can hunt anywhere you want in the unit you drew out for. The only hitch to that is if your ride parks on one end and you want to hunt the other you are going to have to hump it walking to the other side. So if you are not in a group of 3 or 4 you would want to join a group that is parking closer to where you want to hunt if they have seat space in their truck.

The trees there are plenty big to hunt from stands in. I would forgo taking a climber as a straight tree is hard to find and a straight tree in a good spot is probably an accident. Ground hunting works good to there. Whether its ground blind or still hunting. If you still hunt make sure its not where anyone else is hunting. I have gotten close still hunting bunkers during mid day but never got a good shot opportunity. A better hunter than me could pull it off. I never claim to be the best hunter out there.

The success rate out there varies on which hunt you draw out for. The first two hunts are very hard and getting a shot opportunity is pretty dang hard. The third hunt things are starting to pick up and usually the fourth and fifth hunt is where its at there as those hunts are in the prime time of deer season. Texomabowhunter and Chackworth3 both shot does during the first hunt last year so they got a free pass for the first hunt this year. So having success the first weekend is very possible but usually very hard. The overall success rate can be attributed to several things. One being traditional that just makes it harder. Two a lot of hunters never pick up traditional bows till a week or two before the hunt. Three the hunt itself makes for a hard hunt. You can't go up there and scout before hand. All scouting beforehand is done by map, previous experience, and info from other hunters from previous hunts or years before. The only day you get to scout in person is the day of the briefing when you go find your spots and where you want to put your stand. There are a lot of deer there but by no means is it an easy hunt.

I think I answered all your questions. If you have any others post them up and I will do my best to answer them or some of the others will answer them too.

Comment

Thats awesome. Info. Thank you.

Comment

As Horn Chaser mentioned, don't be concerned about the roads or bunkers. I shot an 8 pt within sight of a bunker and an intersection. I had moved from a location far off the road by a food plot to one with a lot acorns.

Comment

Working...
                            X