Where to shoot around Schertz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to shoot around Schertz?

After being away from traditional archery for six years, it is so good to return.
    My wife and I moved back to Texas after a 20-year stay in Colorado.
    During those years, I really got drawn into shooting Hill style bows, mainly HHA Big Five and Osage Royale by Chuck Jones.
    I was crafting my own arrows and making quivers for family and friends.
    Fall would find me on the Western Slopes chasing elks or in Wyoming after pronghorns.
    Several injuries slowed me down over the years, but I still loved to see my arrows fly.
    Fast-forward a few years and we are back in Texas, in the sprawling San Antonio suburbs.
    Church friends asked me to do a short presentation on longbows at our last men's breakfast.
    Since I gave my #65 Hill to my oldest son before living Colorado, I ended-up borrowing my youngest's #55 Northern Mist, as well as his arrows and quiver I made for him many years ago. I am not a "collector" (nothing wrong with it) and that Hill was my only bow.
    Slinging a few arrows in an open field behind our church taught me two things: I am still addicted, but my muscles need to build back up!
    I was a member of TG and LW for years, but grew tired of the bickering and "secret handshake" crowd. I do enjoy the TAS forum though.
    I hope to be able to make meaningful contributions to your discussions, as well as to keep on learning.
    One of the few things I miss about Colorado is having a decent outdoor range nearby.
    First, I will have to get my hands on another ASL and get some arrows crafted for it, then I hope to have the opportunity to harass a few pigs one of these Falls.
    If any of you know of a decent place to shoot, preferably outdoor, around Schertz or Cibolo, please let me know.
    God bless,
    Chris

Anywhere around the Eastern or Northern San Antonio or New Braunfels area would also work.

Comment

I don’t know if any clubs close to there. There used to be a Canyon Lake Archery Club, but I think they have gone under now. Next closest would be Bastrop Archery Club and Fredericksburg Archery Club. Bastrop has a 3D shoot on the first Sunday of the month. F’burg is the 3rd Sunday of the month. Also, Austin Archery Club has a 3D shoot in the 2nd Sunday of the month.

Also, there are TBoT (Traditional Bowhunters of Texas) shoots, which are all trad, at each of these clubs in the next 45 days. If you could attend any of those, you would meet a lot of the area trad shooters. I hope to be at Austin, Bastrop, or both (gonna miss F’burg for the IBO world shoot).

Another option is Camp Bullis in SA. They have monthly 3D shoots on the 4th Sunday of the month. If you are military (or ex military), access is easy. If not, you have to jump thru a few hoops, but can still get access. I don’t know if you can go shoot there anytime other than the shoots though.

Come out to some of the 3D shoots, and you will surely meet a few of the guys who are local to SA, and they could advise you better on places to shoot, even if is just one of their back yards or pastures!!!!

Check out the TBoT website, and join up if you feel so inclined. It is a great organization, and they host all trad shoots all over the state.

I hope this info helps you out a bit, and hope to meet up with you at a shoot one of these days.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Welcome back to Texas, there are a few indoor ranges here but unfortunately none are very close to you- Mission Ridge Range, Buck and Does Mercantile, and A Place to Shoot (outdoor range) come to mind.

To help satisfy my shooting regularly, I built a range in my backyard with some bails of hay, a horse stall mat, and some old wood house siding as a final back-stop. Thankfully I live in an older neighborhood with no HOA.

Comment

It is great to be back in Texas indeed!
          It's going to take me a bit to get back in shape and procure a bow and matching arrows to get back in the game.
          3-D shoots sound are a lot of fun, but it is even better when you can hit your target.
          I have shot at Mission Ridge before, nice place.
          I have all I need to build a range in our back yard, but since I am surrounded by Californians on three sides, I would rather avoid a nasty letter from our HOA...
          There is an outdoor range on I10 in Marion, about 10 miles from here. Pretty small, but it should work.

Comment

A bit of a drive but there is Viking Archery on FM 3159 off of 46 towards Canyon Lake.Has indoor and out door shooting.

Comment

Canyon Lake is a little far to drive to whenever I get the urge to shoot a few woodies.I will eventually make it to the Austin or Bastrop shoots and hopefully meet some of the more local guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                I don’t know if any clubs close to there. There used to be a Canyon Lake Archery Club, but I think they have gone under now. Next closest would be Bastrop Archery Club and Fredericksburg Archery Club. Bastrop has a 3D shoot on the first Sunday of the month. F’burg is the 3rd Sunday of the month. Also, Austin Archery Club has a 3D shoot in the 2nd Sunday of the month.
                Come out to some of the 3D shoots, and you will surely meet a few of the guys who are local to SA, and they could advise you better on places to shoot, even if is just one of their back yards or pastures!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Won't make it to the Bastrop shoot this weekend (Wife's birthday).
                I would love to go, but eventually I would have to come home...

Comment

I live in southern new braunfels right above schertz. I shoot in my backyard( just have a bag target) and rabbits that come in. More than welcome to come shoot sometime when you get setup.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fishxbones View Post
                    I live in southern new braunfels right above schertz. I shoot in my backyard( just have a bag target) and rabbits that come in. More than welcome to come shoot sometime when you get setup.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                    Thank you, I will get in touch once I get all my stuff lined-up again.
                    Going to start making my own arrows again and it takes a bit to get going.
                    The good thing is I remember what works and what doesn't.
                    Thank again.

Comment

Working...
                    X