No announcement yet.

Vanes Off The Shelf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20 yards is past my effective kill range anyway.

Gary

Comment

From what I have heard of Aron Snyders testing they are hitting the same out to 30 and only really noticeable past 40...and honestly most trad guys (myself included) arent shooting much past 30 anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
        From what I have heard of Aron Snyders testing they are hitting the same out to 30 and only really noticeable past 40...and honestly most trad guys (myself included) arent shooting much past 30 anyway
        I regularly shoot out to 100 yards.
        I am currently shooting (have been for a long time) the Marco Soft Vanes.
        They shoot exactly the same as feathers, and they are nowhere near as flexible
        as the new AAE Trad vanes.

I have a hand full of the new AAE Trads, that I will be testing out as soon as I get a chance, but I don't expect to see any arrow flight difference with them.

I'll see some speed increase, because the AAE's weigh 1/3rd of what my Marco vanes do. I'll be dropping about 20 gr of overall weight by using the AAE Trads.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
          I regularly shoot out to 100 yards.
          I am currently shooting (have been for a long time) the Marco Soft Vanes.
          They shoot exactly the same as feathers, and they are nowhere near as flexible
          as the new AAE Trad vanes.

I have a hand full of the new AAE Trads, that I will be testing out as soon as I get a chance, but I don't expect to see any arrow flight difference with them.

I'll see some speed increase, because the AAE's weigh 1/3rd of what my Marco vanes do. I'll be dropping about 20 gr of overall weight by using the AAE Trads.

Rick

I said most...theres some real freaks out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
            I said most...theres some real freaks out there.
            Yeah, I'm sorry. I wasn't posting that to boast though.

More to say - They will work just fine for anyone, as long as you get the tuning down.

It's all about the tuning, with one exception. Seriously.

That exception is - if you have a bow with a real wide, and especially a real wide & flat shelf, then you'll probably have to modify the shelf some.
            Example:
            My ILF rig has a wide flat shelf, so I have to build a hump up on the shelf to get the
            fletching clearance I want/need. Basically, it's a shelf on top of the factory shelf

Some bows though are good to go from the get go.
            Example:
            My Blackwidow PMA's shot vanes perfectly from the shelf with zero modification.

Rick

Comment

Again its really personal preference, but speaking objectively...if heavy rain, max-level performance and equipment durability are priorities then using archery equipment probably isn't the best approach. A modern centerfire rifle would be a much more logical/practical method, providing a surer kill and a much easier path to finding the animal once it is shot (zero to minimal blood trailing needed). It all really does depend on what objectives, limitations and animal considerations (if any) are important to you in how and why you hunt. I hope you find what fits your own ideas of 'best'.

Comment

Originally posted by Retsbew View Post
                Again its really personal preference, but speaking objectively...if heavy rain, max-level performance and equipment durability are priorities then using archery equipment probably isn't the best approach. A modern centerfire rifle would be a much more logical/practical method, providing a surer kill and a much easier path to finding the animal once it is shot (zero to minimal blood trailing needed). It all really does depend on what objectives, limitations and animal considerations (if any) are important to you in how and why you hunt. I hope you find what fits your own ideas of 'best'.
                Horse Hockey.

If that was the way I look, or ever looked at it, I would have never picked up the bow.

It doesn't matter what weapon I have in my hands, I am always looking for ways to maximize it's performance, AND always looking for ways to maximize my performance with "it".

Rick

Comment

My observations so far:

Negatives
                  1)They are ugly. I quit caring about looks when my hair fell out.
                  2)They aren’t “trad”. Neither is my metal riser, carbon/foam limbs or clicker.
                  3) I have reservations about their durability. Time will tell.
                  4) They rip/tear when you shoot through them. I generally keep new fletching on broadheads anyhow.
                  5) I can’t stand fast set gel.

Positives
                  1) Group with my feathered shafts and bare shafts.
                  2) Crazy quiet in flight. I never noticed how loud my fletched shafts were.
                  3) Fit in my quiver better and are quieter. This is huge stalking through tight brush.
                  5) Water proof. The powder sucks IMO and every fletching cover I’ve ever seen is bulky and loud.

I agree with the above sentiment about not hunting during a down pour, but I am fortunate to hunt out west multiple time each year. In the mountains brief showers pass through nearly daily. While you can hide during the shower everything gets wet stalking through the brush for hours after the rain has passed. I’ll feel much more confidant with these vanes guiding the backend of my arrow than matter down feathers.

At this point I plan to continue to practice and shoot 3-d with feathers for their durability (and noise doesn’t matter) and will hunt with the vanes (noise reduction and the weather man lies).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                    Yeah, I'm sorry. I wasn't posting that to boast though.

More to say - They will work just fine for anyone, as long as you get the tuning down.

It's all about the tuning, with one exception. Seriously.

That exception is - if you have a bow with a real wide, and especially a real wide & flat shelf, then you'll probably have to modify the shelf some.
                    Example:
                    My ILF rig has a wide flat shelf, so I have to build a hump up on the shelf to get the
                    fletching clearance I want/need. Basically, it's a shelf on top of the factory shelf

Some bows though are good to go from the get go.
                    Example:
                    My Blackwidow PMA's shot vanes perfectly from the shelf with zero modification.

Rick
                    I'm just giving you a hard time man!

The way I see it anyone show can shoot a stickbow out to 100 deserves to brag!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X