Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who/where to go for help? (Beginners Guide Volume III)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah..didn't recognize you from your profile pic! Nice helmet! =)

Comment

Here's some of my good starting advice, especially since I started about a year ago or so. It's mostly on how to find the info your looking for.

1. If there's not a store, check out three rivers. They have great stuff. I got a video of rick welch on there for shooting instinctive. guy knows his stuff plus video works better for me than a book.

2. local archery club - nothing beats seeing it in action, plus most guys are pretty cool and might even let you shoot their bow.

3. go to a tbot,traditional bowhunters of texas, tournament shoot. I ended up arriving late to my first one and just asked some people if I could join. They helped me out for the next couple hours, it was totally awesome. plus you have a good chance of finding vendors that want you to try out their stuff.

4. Ask all the guys at the club. So many guys have been extremely helpful because I told them I was new and had no clue. Just like on here. don't be shy, plus everyone still misses even if they've been shooting for years.

5. check out the SCA, it's not exactly related, but anybody that's in it and likes archery is guaranteed to be a trad shooter. They might know who to get in touch with about traditional stuff in your area.

6. Getting desperate, check out gun ranges. Some guys there will be into hunting and I bet some will be into archery too.

7. put a texas bowhunter sticker on your truck. You never know when it'll spark a conversation. I have a trad bowhunter sticker on mine and it's helped out.

8. The library, yeah that's right, I bet they have books on archery. The book you don't read is useless, unless you need a doorstop.

Just getting the right info was a tough starting point for me, so I hope this helps you with ideas at least on where to find information

Comment

I am in Jacksonville tx. I am available to help.

Comment

New Guy

I am new to this forum, but it looks like a lot of good info on Trad shooting. I have shot a compound for quite a while and I am starting to shoot a recurve now

Comment

New guy here as well. Haven't shot a bow in probably 20 years and then it was only for fun while drinking beer at a friends house. Ordering a Samick Journey with this next paycheck and will be spending time between now and then on here reading everything I can get my eyes on.

Comment

new to this too

Made a red oak bow inspired by poorfolks bow website. I has not broken yet and flung 50 or so arrows through it. Not really a bow hunter mainly wanting something to shoot in the yard. Get better and may hunt with it but still a lot of learning to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Tedak View Post
                Can someone recommend a trad shop in the Beaumont area? I am new to the board and the sport I would like to get a bow. I have read some good reviews on the Sage for a first bow but am afraid that with my draw length 30 plus inches it might not work for me.
                Precision Archery in Bridge City. Shooting range and all. Good as any shop anywhere

Comment

Please keep these beginner guides coming! I am twenty-five and don’t even have a bow yet but am hoping to have a recurve in the next few months. I really appreciate these threads. Is there a thread that is a beginners purchasing guide? I know I can use google but I feel like there is always an agenda to promote certain brands. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
                    Reference the following link, post number 39 for background on the origination of this thread. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ead.php?t=5725

You have found this site so you are headed in the right direction. Sites like this; books, magazines and dvds are all great outlets to help you along in traditional archery. However, I personally believe that nothing beats one on one contact with experienced individuals.

Look up your local 3-d shoot and find someone who is shooting trad gear. Follow them around and ask questions, most are more than willing to help out.

I know that several guys on here have are more than willing to help another shooter out, all you have to do is ask. If you notice that someone on here is from your area (most list location below their avatar), shoot them a person message and see if you can set up a time to meet somewhere. Most of us generally shoot several days a week and don’t mind having an additional shooter tag along occasionally.

I am generally at Viking archery (I do realize that is a four letter word on here), in Southwest Houston a couple nights a week. If you are in the area shoot me a message and we can schedule a time to meet up.

Also keep in mind that shooting is like lifting weights. The biggest guy in the gym doesn’t necessarily have the most knowledge about lifting weights. The same goes for archery, the guy with the highest score doesn’t necessarily have the best form or know all there is to know. Talk to as many people as you can and try and gain a little from each person, you may be surprise what you learn from the least likely sources.
                    Following.,,Thanks

Comment

If you are a starter here is an article differentiating between medieval and and modern archery https://swordsswords.com/blog/mediev...odern-archery/, do read and share, its informative, i liked reading it.

Comment

I'm from Hemphill, is there anyone or any kind of archery related group in my area any one is aware of? I'm completely new to hunting, but have a 45 lb recurve I want to learn going after some hogs on spot and stalk. I also have a 60 lb long bow, but I'm out of shape on that bow. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                            Excellent advice, except for picking on the biggest guys

If you are in the North Houston area, you are welcome to shoot with me.
                            Hey man I'm in the Houston area. What part of North Houston you in?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Can y’all recommend a shop in San Antonio?

Comment

Working...
                              X