Smoking a hog ham?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking a hog ham?

I got a new pellet grill for Christmas and want to smoke a hog ham. I have two small hams around 5 pounds each. One I took the bone out.
    So how long do you smoke the hams before cooking?
    I saw that most cook 2 hours per pound at 250 ish for pulled pork. But what about for a roast?
    Thanks I am new to this pellet grill thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you wanting to roast or smoke the hams?? For smoking i would do 225 until you get an internal of 145. For roasting (in a oven) i would brine first then roast at 325 until you hit an internal temp of 145.

Comment

I want to smoke it on my pellet grill. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Comment

From a feral hog or pen raised?

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
          I want to smoke it on my pellet grill. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

I would brine it, truss it (if boneless) and smoke it at 225 until you hit an internal temp of 145.

Comment

Tagged, assuming feral hog. I want to smoke one.

Comment

For feral roasts/hams I debone, truss and cook at 235°. When my bark and color get right I wrap with either foil or butcher paper, your preference, until the feel is right when probed; that's usually between 195-205°, but temps will vary with wild game. If you don't wrap, to get a crunchier bark, it will add about an hour to an hour and a half to the cook time.

Roast and pulled pork are no different in my world; a pork butt (shoulder) is just a roast cooked on a smoker.

I have no idea on time as I don't cook based on time or temperature, just look (when to wrap) and feel (when done). I would set aside 8 hours but your smaller cuts may be done in 6 or so; more time to let it rest if you base it on an 8 hour eating time.

I feel like pork butts are about an hour a pound, but I've never really kept time to know for sure.

I'm doing a small butt tonight, I'll time it and let you know.

Comment

Pork butt was 5 1/2 hours, 4.88 pounds trimmed when it went on, 200° probes like peanut butter.

Not a ham, but close enough.

Comment

Thanks yes it is wild pig but really fat. Do any of you use just the smoke cycle first before turning the heat on to get a smokier taste? Like I said I am new at the pellet grill thing.

Comment

Thanks yes it is wild pig but really fat. Do any of you use just the smoke cycle first before turning the heat on to get a smokier taste? Like I said I am new at the pellet grill thing.
                    My Silverbac doesn't have a "smoke cycle" mode, so I just turn it on and let it do it's thing. Too much smoke gets a little bitter to me, depending on the wood.

There's plenty of smoke flavor though, no complaints in that department.

Comment

I use the smoke cycle until the internal meat temp gets somewhere north of 100 degrees (usually a couple hours) then turn the heat up to 225. On mine, the next setting after "smoke" is 180. I don't recall the temp, but I've read that after a certain temp the meat will quit taking smoke anyway. Lot of google discussion about that if you want to read it.

Comment

I don't know about the amount of time as they all take a little different depending if you wrap them or not and even then don't go by exact time go by the temperature of your meat is my only advice. If you don't have at least a basic thermometer get one. If you're going to buy one or one something add to your Christmas list get one that has a receiver that you can watch the temp in your house. You'll love it over time.

Comment

Working...
                        X