Golden Eagle Lead Bullet Poisoning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golden Eagle Lead Bullet Poisoning?

Sounds to me like they're really jumping to conclusions that it was lead bullet ingestation that killed the eagle when they have absolutely no proof. Just another dig @ hunters and the left working their agenda.

CHEYENNE, Wyo. — The first golden eagle in Yellowstone National Park fitted with a tracking device has died of lead poisoning, likely after consuming bullet fragments while scavenging the remains of an animal killed by a hunter, officials said Monday.

Wearing a GPS unit like a backpack, the adult, female eagle had flown outside Yellowstone into areas where hunters pursue game such as elk and deer.

The death of the bird was a setback for golden eagle research in Yellowstone but not the end. Several other golden eagles at the park have been fitted with tracking devices.

"It's a little gut-wrenching because it's so darn hard to trap and tag an eagle, and it's frustrating for the graduate student who's leading the project," said eagle scientist Todd Katzner with the U.S. Geological Survey in Boise, Idaho.

Advocacy groups have called for hunters to use bullets made of copper to help prevent such deaths. Effective July 1, California will fully prohibit hunters from using lead bullets.

In Wyoming, Bryan Bedrosian of the Teton Raptor Center said he has provided opportunities for hunters to exchange lead bullets for ones made of copper, which performs just as well.

However, Bedrosian, an avid hunter and research director at the raptor rehabilitation facility, doesn't support banning lead bullets.

"A lot of it's a matter of awareness and willingness of people to switch," he said.

Golden eagles are one of North America's largest birds, with a wingspan that can top 7 feet (2.1 meters).

Their numbers in the contiguous 48 U.S. states are steady but not as high as they could be, partly due to collisions with vehicles and wind turbines.

The female eagle, thought to be at least five years old, was found dead in northern Yellowstone in December but the cause of death was only recently determined. It had ranged as far as 40 miles (64 kilometers) from the center of its habitat.

The research over a four-month period provided valuable information about the movement of golden eagles and the threats they face, Katzner added.

Golden eagles hunt live prey during summer. Lead poisoning becomes a significant threat when they eat carrion during fall and winter, Katzner said.

"This bird died right in the period we'd expect them to be wandering widely and searching for food," Katzner said.

When you hear the word "likely" used when refering to a cause, it indicates that the speaker 1) doesn't know the cause 2) has a preconcieved idea 3) has an agenda of their own 4) doesn't expect to be challenged on their conclusions.

Comment

As is typical of most journalism these days, the article is light on any substantive details. Primarily, how did researchers arrive at that conclusion besides she was flying outside the park?

Comment

I bet windmills have killed more eagles than lead poisoning from eating a bullet

Comment

The USFWS put tracking devices on 7 Whooping Cranes, 5 of them were found dead on their migration route back to Aransas.

The Eagle most likely died from the stress of being captured and handled by humans.

Comment

Meateater Podcast had a good podcast on lead poisoning and birds. It opened my eyes to what I originally thought was BS.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
              Meateater Podcast had a good podcast on lead poisoning and birds. It opened my eyes to what I originally thought was BS.
              Do you have any more information than that?

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                Do you have any more information than that?
                No. And now that I think about it...it might have been a Randy Newberg podcast.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                  No. And now that I think about it...it might have been a Randy Newberg podcast.
                  I see. I think they have both talked about it. I have seen some research discussing the negative effects of lead in carcasses. Just looking to see what else might be out there.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    I bet windmills have killed more eagles than lead poisoning from eating a bullet
                    Yelp, 5 to 1 according to most studies.

Comment

I found a dead coon today in the middle of the road. I believe the likely cause of death was radio waves from an alien spacecraft. That caused cell mutation instead the animals brain.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        They do by far. A fellow lease mate of mine is a biologist in Lubbock. That is all she studies is bird related deaths to wind turbines. Mainly keeping track of all the endangered and threatened birds, and they kill loads of critters every day.

Comment

I call BS on the radio waves. It was obviously from eating GMO corn.
                          On a similar note, there was a recent article about lead poisoning in veterans. Anybody read it?

Comment

Many a .177 and .22 caliber pellets kept in my cheek till I needed them when I was a kiddo. I’m still alive and kicken...dumb as hell but still kicken.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              Many a .177 and .22 caliber pellets kept in my cheek till I needed them when I was a kiddo. I’m still alive and kicken...dumb as hell but still kicken.
                              I thought I was the only dumby who did this all the time when chasing squirrels, cow birds, and grackles

Comment

Working...
                              X