Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great looking job

Comment

Here's the finished trailer from yesterday. Replaced the cross supports and beefed up the front of the frame. This also made it wide enough for the pipe legs to sit on.
      Attached Files

Comment

I got everything mounted up today and layed out the doors. The firebox is welded to the cutout pieces of the frame as well as the last cross member. Anywhere metal touches metal its welded together.
        Attached Files

Comment

With the doors, you only cut the top and bottom lines first. Then I welded on the upper piece of trim. Hinges and bottom trim will come next. That way you dont have to try and hold the door up to weld hinges on. Also the trim will keep the door from falling in.

Make the top piece of trim shorter than your top cut. This way you can match it when you cut the sides.

I'm kinda stuck on hinges now. I dont want the pipe and rod style or piano style. I was thinking either roller chain or something like these.

Either way I dont have the materials. It ill be a couple days before I can get back to work on it.
          Attached Files

Comment

looks awesome! nice work!

Comment

Looks good!! make sure you put that cool-a@@ hubcap back on the right tire!!!

Comment

Originally posted by B Cook View Post
                Looks good!! make sure you put that cool-a@@ hubcap back on the right tire!!!
                Thats what my dad said. Its actually a 60's buick hub cap. I've had that trailer for close to a year now. Gotta look around and find the other one.

Comment

That pipe is .375 wall pipe. Great job by the way.

Comment

im about to start one similiar myself

Comment

Looks Great Keep it Up...

Comment

Finally got back around to the pit. I hadnt realized it had been this long until I saw the date of the last post.

I had the hinges cut out at the place I got the rest of the plates. 3/8" thick with a 3/8" dia. x 3/4" long rivet to hold them together. The rivet is welded to the smaller part of the hinge. Small gap between the pieces so that when it rusts they will still move.

All three doors open now with the strap trim on top and bottom. Going to get a torch next week so I can heat and bend the strap for the sides of the doors.

BTW those are temporary handles, yall are going to like what I've got in store for the real ones.

More to come next week.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looking nice! Makes me want to build one!

Comment

I love those hinges looking good.

Comment

For a reverse flow, weld a couple lengths of angle the length of the pit about 2" under where you want the grates to sit. Now cut you some plates out of 3/8" material 12" wide and long enough to sit down on the angle. Make enough of these to go the length of the pit less a foot. Put a smoke stack (with butterfly damper) on both ends of the pit. Don't skimp on height here, that is where you get the draft from. Make the grates removable for ease of cleaning later on and for adjustment of baffle plate. Now you can adjust where and how you want the both the heat flow and the smoke flow by adding, removing and shuffling plates around.

One other thing I would do is have a baffle between the firebox and pit. Not so much to control anything, but the ability to shut the smoke off while you have the doors open moving things around or mopping is worth it's weight in gold.

Oh, I forgot, add a water tray on the first baffle plate. Just seal weld a strip of 1" thin flat bar around the top side to hold water. Keep it full while you have meat in the pit. Helps keep everything moist.

I've designed and helped build (won't say built, as I have no metal working skills) several pits like this. The one I cook on now can handle 30 briskets at a time, only having to move the meat one time.

Comment

I need to buy a dang welder already. Awesome job.

Comment

Working...
                                X