Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 11-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching
Default Heaviest recurve made?

Getting back into my workouts with the 60lb Grizzly and got to wondering if there was ever a heavier one built (production not custom)? Are there 70lb recurves out there? 80lb's? 90??? I know long bows go up into the 100's but those are old European bows. Any of you know of a production recurve above 60lbs draw weight? To be honest I'd probably but a Fred Bear Grizzly in 100lb's just to see if I could ever draw it to anchor.

Richard
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...ow-draw-weight

I know you said not custom but still thought it fit the topic. And I bet most all major manufacturers only built custom order bows over 65 or 70 lbs. But I do know Fred Bear and Howard Hill both commonly shot bows well over those weights.
sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2018, 11:20 PM   #3
Draco
Pope & Young

I've owned a 76# Bear take down, a Wing that was 75# so yeah, there was some. A friend, Jerry Halfriech, had a 107# and a 138# Black Widow on the metal handle back in the day. I could shoot the 107 but trying to pull the 138, I couldn't even pull it an inch.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #4
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

Wade Phillips owns several heavyweight Bears built in the mid to late fifties. One is a hundred pound bow. If my memory is correct, it is a Grizzly, 1956 or so vintage.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #6
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeY1JjwJzJU" style="display:none;">
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeY1JjwJzJU')">https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeY1JjwJzJU')"> I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeY1JjwJzJU">https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeY1JjwJzJU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #7
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

I built an 85# recurve back around 2003. I was power lifting at that time, but that thing was still a monster to draw lol. I ended up selling it to a guy headed to Africa for cape buffalo.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
Junkers88
Ten Point

Cool to know that heavier recurves are out there! That guy in the video made that 100lb bow look like it was a 50 the way he drew it.

Richard.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #9
RJH1
Eight Point

My heaviest is a 75 pounder, but it is a custom. If you don't mind buying used many times you can pick them up cheap. Get over 55 or pounds and the people who can draw drops exponentially, and the people who used to draw them and are looking to sell will usually have to let them go cheap. It is kinda funny cause at Howard Hill bows the heavier bows are considerably more expensive to have built.

Also google Simon Stanley. There are some videos of him shooting 150 pounders and he is not a big guy. Most of what he shoots is longbows though
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #10
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I am

Among the mass produced bows like Bear, Martin, etc, many of the heavy draw weights (over 65#), were custom orders for heavy, but the vast majority of them to hit the market were heavy by accident.

The only way to get a "NEW" bow from anyone today, that is over 65# is going to be to order it that way whether it be from a mass production company, or a custom bowyer, however there are some of the custom guys (Morrison for example) who refuse to build over 60#.

The best bet to find heavy is to search for used.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #11
Junkers88
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBarbee View Post
Among the mass produced bows like Bear, Martin, etc, many of the heavy draw weights (over 65#), were custom orders for heavy, but the vast majority of them to hit the market were heavy by accident.

The only way to get a "NEW" bow from anyone today, that is over 65# is going to be to order it that way whether it be from a mass production company, or a custom bowyer, however there are some of the custom guys (Morrison for example) who refuse to build over 60#.

Rick
Yeah I'm always on the lookout for my next bow. I got hooked on Bear bows a couple years back (I blame 60 Deluxe for this ) and my shooters are a mid 70's 45lb and a 1969 60lb, Grizzly bows both.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #12
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I owned a 70# bear 30 years ago.
Black Widow will make you a 70 no problem.
They will moan and grown if you want anything over 75 but they built me a 84# a few years ago. They told me it is a lot more work to tiller when they are that heavy.

Name:  2F897F6A-D3CD-4FBE-A4A2-8B162FE5046F.jpeg
Views: 300
Size:  112.1 KB
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #13
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Quote:

Rick
When Rick says they're heavy by accident, he's knows of what he speaks. A while back he ordered a Martin Firecat that was supposed to be 67#s, as I recall him saying. After shooting it a while -- and doing well in competition -- other shooters tried it and figured it might be a little heavier than 67. The weigh-in showed it to be 98-lbs!!! He can correct this account, but I believe he may have shot a perfect 300 round or close to it with that bow.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #14
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
When Rick says they're heavy by accident, he's knows of what he speaks. A while back he ordered a Martin Firecat that was supposed to be 67#s, as I recall him saying. After shooting it a while -- and doing well in competition -- other shooters tried it and figured it might be a little heavier than 67. The weigh-in showed it to be 98-lbs!!! He can correct this account, but I believe he may have shot a perfect 300 round or close to it with that bow.
When you say a while back, you're correct. It was quite a while back. 1994 I believe.

It was supposed to be 75 @ 29.5, but yeah it turned out to be quite a bit mor'n that.

Yes on the 300 indoor rounds. Did it several times, but I can't do it anymore, even with my 69# light weights. Need practice.

Rick

Last edited by RickBarbee; 11-11-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #15
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

We used to shoot a 3D league every Tuesday. There was a guy that shot a 100 lb. recurve, but I have no clue as to brand. When any body didn't believe him he would let you try it. If you still didn't believe him he would put it on the scale. He made it look soooooo easy.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #16
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I owned a 70# bear 30 years ago.
Black Widow will make you a 70 no problem.
They will moan and grown if you want anything over 75 but they built me a 84# a few years ago. They told me it is a lot more work to tiller when they are that heavy.

Attachment 933211
Now I have a question that I probably already know the answer too.
Does 70 shoot faster than 55 or is the heavier weight just to allow.for increased KE?
I've thought about getting one in the range of 65 or 70 for elk and mulder.....shooting 55 now. I know 55 is plenty but wondered if increase weight would allow for longer shots and still pack a punch at 50 yds if needed.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #17
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Now I have a question that I probably already know the answer too.
Does 70 shoot faster than 55 or is the heavier weight just to allow.for increased KE?
I've thought about getting one in the range of 65 or 70 for elk and mulder.....shooting 55 now. I know 55 is plenty but wondered if increase weight would allow for longer shots and still pack a punch at 50 yds if needed.
I can't speak for the carbon laminated stuff, but the good old glass wood limbs (in my experience) yield a structural integrity making them capable of shooting a much lighter weight arrow (GPP wise), and hold up to it more so than the lighter weight bows. For sure my Martins are capable of such.

I've shot tens of thousands of arrows from them with 96 & 98 pounds of draw, with only a 605gr arrow weight. They smoke that arrow on down the road too, so I'm still shooting a relatively heavy arrow WAY faster than even a 70# top of the line & fast bow of today will shoot them,

BUT

bring their arrow weight up to the 8 to 10 GPP range, and they are right in there speed wise with most of the fast recurves of today. Imagine a 780 to 980 gr arrow shooting 195 fps (or more). Not much is going to stop it, AND it ain't no lob shot.

That's an indirect way of saying - Going heavy is a win/win as long as you can handle it.

Rick
Old 11-11-2018, 10:47 PM   #18
flywise
Pope & Young

Thanks Rick
I believe I'll look for a used one a little heavier than I have now
Old 11-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #19
RJH1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Thanks Rick
I believe I'll look for a used one a little heavier than I have now
There is a #70 martin bushmaster on leatherwall in the trade thread, IDK anything about it but I have been able to buy and sell off the trade thread before. May be what you are looking for
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2018, 11:55 PM   #20
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
There is a #70 martin bushmaster on leatherwall in the trade thread, IDK anything about it but I have been able to buy and sell off the trade thread before. May be what you are looking for
I'll check it out, thanks
Old 11-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #21
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

I picked up a cheap 60 lb. Longbow the other day to see if I can build up a bit . . .

Gary
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2018, 05:55 PM   #22
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

I know a man not far from me has a Hill that is about 90# and I don't remember who made his recurve (he is not one for customs) but it draws 80 @ 28. They exist, but like stated, most likely was something ordered even from a mass producer like Bear.
I recently traded out of 68# longbow. My shoulder and collar bone (all of which have sustained some damage) did not like it. The collar bone was the worst of the pain.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #23
Junkers88
Ten Point

Shot my 60 about 20 times yesterday and am stupidly sore today. As heavy as that thing is it sure is quiet and as long as I can keep my form from collapsing I'm more accurate with it than I am with the 45lb one.

Richard.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #24
Junkers88
Ten Point

Quote:
I can't speak for the carbon laminated stuff, but the good old glass wood limbs (in my experience) yield a structural integrity making them capable of shooting a much lighter weight arrow (GPP wise), and hold up to it more so than the lighter weight bows. For sure my Martins are capable of such.

I've shot tens of thousands of arrows from them with 96 & 98 pounds of draw, with only a 605gr arrow weight. They smoke that arrow on down the road too, so I'm still shooting a relatively heavy arrow WAY faster than even a 70# top of the line & fast bow of today will shoot them,

BUT

bring their arrow weight up to the 8 to 10 GPP range, and they are right in there speed wise with most of the fast recurves of today. Imagine a 780 to 980 gr arrow shooting 195 fps (or more). Not much is going to stop it, AND it ain't no lob shot.

That's an indirect way of saying - Going heavy is a win/win as long as you can handle it.

Rick
That's interesting and not something I'd even considered.

Richard.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #25
Greyman
Eight Point

Hunt In: where the animals hide

I own a beautiful 76 Bear SK in 65lbs. I watched a Super Grizz on fleabay a few yrs back that was 80lbs, it was a mid 70s bow.
Greyman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #26
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkers88 View Post
That's interesting and not something I'd even considered.

Richard.
I used to joke about my big girls and say:

"If you got stuck, I could pry your truck out of the mud with them, wipe the mud off, and continue shooting without ever breaking stride."

Heavy/Heavier draw weight bow (in my opinion) are more structurally sound than those of lighter draw weights.

Rick
Old 11-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #27
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Not to go off topic cause it's a good one but that's the fella who shot himself a few years back while practicing a quick draw then posted the video. Looks like he's lost a few lb's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #28
muddydog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

I shot heavy bows until about 5 years ago. Had a bear super Kodiak that was 70 lbs. A Martin Bushmaster that was 80 but felt like 120. Martin mountaineer 70. Howard Hill at 80. Lots of heavy bows out there but be very careful if you try the heavyweight stuff. You can possibly ruin your shooting and pick up very bad habits that are difficult to correct. For the record, I now only shoot 50 lb bows and see no reason to go heavier. Straight flying heavy arrows with sharp 2 blade heads will kill most anything in the lower 48.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
muddydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top