No announcement yet.

All around hunting rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it were me, and it was "Once in awhile elk, most of the time whitetail" I'd just opt for the .30/06. If it was "once in awhile whitetail and mostly elk" or larger, I'd do the .338 Win.Mag. Of course nothing wrong with the .300, either. I'd probably just do the WSM version on a slightly shorter action.

Comment

The Bergara rifles are nice and all of them I have shot felt great. I would maybe suggest switching to the hunter to save a little weight over the ridge though.

Comment

Guess the .300 is over kill for where y'all hunt. Its about right for us, some of our mature bucks go 2 fidy... and take that .300 like a man...

Comment

I use a 270 here for everything from blackbuck to elk...Jack got something right

I don't feel under gunned at all....that might change with a moose or brownie but I'd have no problem trying

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
            I’m a huge fan of a 7mm08 for elk sized and down game. 140gr Accubond will take care of those kind of animals just fine. Really accurate and easy shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            This!

Comment

I understand wanting to have one all around rifle but I like having options. I don’t wear my running shoes to a business meeting. If I HAD to choose 1 rifle I would go overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerikson View Post
                Thinking about getting Bergara B14 ridge .300 win mag for my go to hunting rifle. Heavier grain bullet for elk and lighter grain for whitetail. Anybody have one or have any thoughts on the rifle?

Bergara is well known for the barrels they produce. They hired Don Hanus who was the Chief Instructor for the Marines Precision Weapons section out of Vignina.

I picked up the B14 at Cabelas a year ago and really on the fence post on getting one.

The debate in my mind is do I get me a new rifle or buy my kiddo one she can call her own.

If I do get one it will be in 7mm, but I don't think you can go wrong going with the 300.

Comment

I am a big supporter of the 308. Although I do like my 25-06. 308 will take down anything NA.

Comment

I’ll add about the 7-08 that there’s a pretty prominent gun writer, and I can’t remember his name, that killed everything up to moose size with one shooting a 120gr NBT. The 120 has a much thicker jacket than the other NBT rounds because the 140s weren’t knocking over silhouettes at long ranges. They thickened the jacket on the 120s and turned it into a killing machine.

Comment

.25-06
                      Are all in my safe.
                      I don’t like shooting deer with anything smaller than the 115 grain 25-06 bullets. 7mm 08 is a great caliber. Don’t know much about the 6.5 but looks cool too.

The 300 is a bit too much of a thunder canon and for me. I sold my Sendero II in 300 for a 270. Don’t miss lugging that heavyweight around.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerikson View Post
                        Thinking about getting Bergara B14 ridge .300 win mag for my go to hunting rifle. Heavier grain bullet for elk and lighter grain for whitetail. Anybody have one or have any thoughts on the rifle?

From my experience contour, twist, and other variations normally choose a grain bullet for you. I normally do 5 sets 5 varying in loads. I then choose the one that has the tightest group at 300. After that 5 sets of 5 in length, same drill. My thoughts on the rifle - I prefer a custom build and many good builders out there. I’m a GAP fan. I would also love to talk you out of the .300 win. Talk to gunsmith before pulling the trigger (pun intended).

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Comment

30-06 is my choice for an all around caliber. A wide variety of loads, easily available and I have killed everything from coyotes to Elk with one.

Comment

270wsm

Comment

Thompson Center Compass, pick a caliber on sale right now at bass pro for 249,97 after rebate. Even has a threaded barrel end for a muzzle brake if you wanted to go with the 300 win mag. Plus you also get a 25 dollar gift card with purchase.

Comment

Working...
                                X