Speed (lighter) verse Quiet (heavier)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed (lighter) verse Quiet (heavier)

Headed to the hill country (around Austin) in a few weeks and have arrows that are lighter (375gr) and some are heavier (445gr). #65 pound bow. Which arrow would your suggest and why? Or does it even matter? Thanks,

For whitetail? If so then shot placement is the most important. Test them and see what you and your bow likes the best. I have 2 bows made by different manufactures and shoot different brand and weight arrows from each, just seems to shoot straighter.

Comment

Doesnt matter. Shoot what groups the best.

Comment

For Texas WT I don't really think it matters given the poundage, assuming it's a compound bow and reasonable type BH...ie not some 10 inch cut 4 blade expandable....

Having said that, I made the switch from light to heavy with just about the same numbers you mention. Additionally, I started with a light arrow and added brass inserts to a brass nock to not only increase the weight but greatly increase FOC. I went from 310 fps to mid 280's with a 65 pound bow.

Really love the set up and will shoot it again this year. BTW-last year I shot a deer with a grim reaper WT special and it was stuck in the ground like I was aiming at just that spot.

Comment

I prefer the quietness and extra penetration potential of heavier arrows. Having said that I would go with whichever arrow gave me the greatest confidence in making a good shot.

Comment

Texas deer, Turkey, hogs don’t matter. I go middle of road. I can throw a river rock through a Texas whitetail

Comment

Here's how i look at it.
              Which would hurt more dropped on your head from 5' above it.

Ping pong ball or golf ball?
              They both have a similar diameter.

This screen shot is from this website
              http://balls.com/rules/which-ball-is-bigger.html

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                Here's how i look at it.
                Which would hurt more dropped on your head from 5' above it.

Ping pong ball or golf ball?
                They both have a similar diameter.

This screen shot is from this website
                http://balls.com/rules/which-ball-is-bigger.html
                A more realistic comparison would be 11” softball vs 12” softball

Comment

Heavier and I base this on my set up being WAY quieter, more forgiving and more accurate. But to preface my statement, I am really heavy, 595 grains!

Comment

Originally posted by wdtorque View Post
                    Headed to the hill country (around Austin) in a few weeks and have arrows that are lighter (375gr) and some are heavier (445gr). #65 pound bow. Which arrow would your suggest and why? Or does it even matter? Thanks,
                    There's not a whole lot of difference here. If I were to go heavy, I'd go way heavier than a 445 grain for my "heavy" arrow.

Comment

I would go quieter. that faster arrow that makes more noise is just more noise for the critters to hear.

Thats my thinkin on the subject

Comment

375 grains is plenty heavy.

Comment

Whatever shoots the best, confidence is key. I have found the lighter arrows are harder to track down with a pass through.

Comment

I started out chasing speed....not any more. I've been very pleased with the ease of tuning, quite in flight, and penetration of my 495g arrows. Not to mention I can still shoot out to 60 yds and not even close to bottoming out my pins with my Defiant 32 28" draw at 60 lbs.

Comment

Switched set ups this year started with a 420 grain arrow I’ll be shooting a 505 grain opening morning. Still above 290fps so I’m okay with it

Comment

Working...
                              X