No announcement yet.

What is a Fire Fighter worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public employees ( I am one) can't look at things the same way a person who works for a business does. Our salary is paid by the public by way of taxes not profits. When there are economic turn downs tax money coming into the city slows down as well. cities then have to adjust the way they spend that money in order to best provide for the tax payers who support the city. So you may get a cut in benefits, isn't that better than a cut in your job?
    Why exactly do public employees believe it is the responsibility of the tax payer to pay for their retirement health insurance? or a retirement better than the one the tax payer can afford? I'm a public servant because I enjoy doing what I do. I dont ,however expect my city to provide things for me after I retire. As an adult I can do that for myself.
    You want better pay? take a stand against liberalism which means take a stand against your union. When better politictions get in office there is more economic growth= better revenue=petter pay.

Comment

Originally posted by ratterrier View Post
      He posted that he was getting $50 a hour plus insurance and now reduced.

40 hours is $2000 a week times 4 equals $8000 a month plus beneifts, does that make $100,000 a year annual salary for being a fireman or did i miss calculate??
      No, you completely looked over what he did for a living. He's not a FF

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
        I guess they just don't get what your saying brother. It doesn't matter (well, it does) what your anual is but when you get passed over year after year because some Jerk in a tie wants a bigger bonus, something is wrong!

The next time you're house catches fire, an armed intruder is breaking in, you water main breaks or your lights go out, rest assured that the person responding to fix Your problem is well compensated. I wish the people that have a problem with my brother venting could spend a week in our shoes! Go a week w/o seeing your wife and kids because you are on nights and tell me "you knew this when you joined". Tell me, it's no big deal when you roll up on a 12 year old that was gunned down over a drug deal. Tell me, it's no big deal when it's raining at 3 am and your lights go out. Get a clue, get a life and (yes, I've been drinking) yes, get off this thread!!!
        Carry on
        Last edited by holepuncher; 05-05-2012, 06:29 PM.

Comment

I love the fact that my previously stated comment is being proven by everyone posting

Comment

Originally posted by Txfirerescue View Post
            No, you completely looked over what he did for a living. He's not a FF
            So what were you making before the cuts with beneifts and what have they cut you guys down to now annually??

Comment

Actually I think I will comment...

Your complete lack of knowledge on the subject matter completely astonishes me as to why commented on the matter in the first place.

For most of us (firefighters, medics, peace officers) who wanted to be in this career, I honesty don't remember and highly doubt that from the ages of 9-18 or whatever age matter was it a KNOWN fact of how much you make nor did it matter.

But, for the years I went to school for this which is the equivalent of a 2 year degree (not including the 1000 plus CE hours I maintain a year, and classes I take to improve in my career), which I have, I would imagine and EXPECT to be paid enough to support a family. I will put my job on it that unless you are a engineer or captain on up that 100% of firefighters who support a family do it on DUAL income.

When was the last time you received a raise? Last year? After the end of your fiscal year? I have NOT received a raise in 3 years, for whatever reason they come up with. My city has changed insurance 5 times since then which the insurance is decent, not great by any means, for a single guy. But don't even think about supporting a family on it.

So combine, no raise, crappy salary, horrible insurance and being treated like crap; to answer your question...no I was never told at any point THOSE things when getting into this career.

And you make the suggestion to go back to school to become something I don't want to be? That's amusing.

If this is what you are saying is being proven, it is not being proven by my posts, but to answer each of your points here it goes.

First, I have a Masters degree, and do continuing education like yourself. I have not recieved a raise in two years, actually took two pay cuts in the last 4 years. My insurance has went up almost double. I was also never told those things, but I am smart enough to understand that in the troubling times our country is in that they should be expected. A person cannot always have both the job and the pay they want or expect, you have to choose a balance of each.

Comment

Actually I think I will comment...

Your complete lack of knowledge on the subject matter completely astonishes me as to why commented on the matter in the first place.

For most of us (firefighters, medics, peace officers) who wanted to be in this career, I honesty don't remember and highly doubt that from the ages of 9-18 or whatever age matter was it a KNOWN fact of how much you make nor did it matter.

But, for the years I went to school for this which is the equivalent of a 2 year degree (not including the 1000 plus CE hours I maintain a year, and classes I take to improve in my career), which I have, I would imagine and EXPECT to be paid enough to support a family. I will put my job on it that unless you are a engineer or captain on up that 100% of firefighters who support a family do it on DUAL income.

When was the last time you received a raise? Last year? After the end of your fiscal year? I have NOT received a raise in 3 years, for whatever reason they come up with. My city has changed insurance 5 times since then which the insurance is decent, not great by any means, for a single guy. But don't even think about supporting a family on it.

So combine, no raise, crappy salary, horrible insurance and being treated like crap; to answer your question...no I was never told at any point THOSE things when getting into this career.

And you make the suggestion to go back to school to become something I don't want to be? That's amusing.
                I bet a guy in the military might feel the same way, and in the last 10 years they have gone through much more than you or I have and most get paid less than you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                  If this is what you are saying is being proven, it is not being proven by my posts, but to answer each of your points here it goes.

First, I have a Masters degree, and do continuing education like yourself. I have not recieved a raise in two years, actually took two pay cuts in the last 4 years. My insurance has went up almost double. I was also never told those things, but I am smart enough to understand that in the troubling times our country is in that they should be expected. A person cannot always have both the job and the pay they want or expect, you have to choose a balance of each.
                  no way in he** I'd have your job. Not in todays society
                  God Bless YA

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                    I was not commenting on your post. My comment is entirely about FF pay and why it is what it is.
                    I guess I'm misunderstanding cause you quoted what I said

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      I bet a guy in the military might feel the same way, and in the last 10 years they have gone through much more than you or I have and most get paid less than you do.
                      You are contraindicating yourself.

Comment

And explain what they've gone through that I haven't???

I was in the military...and never treated like this. I choose the military over the streets anyway. All you are working in the streets is a garbage man.

Comment

Originally posted by ratterrier View Post
                          So what were you making before the cuts with beneifts and what have they cut you guys down to now annually??
                          I never said I had cuts, someone else did. What I did say is that I have not had a raise in 3 years for whatever explanation they wanted to give that year, and my benefits are crap.

Comment

Typically what the representives (Mayor/Council) of the citizens are willing to pay for that service. It is really no different that any salary issues in any sector, all about selling it.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post

What I'm saying is being proven is from my original post, just as y'all are doing is exactly what I don't want to put up with anymore.

JUSTIFYING my job too anyone. You sit here and quote, and relate your job to mine. I don't know about you but I don't ever remember anyone who runs a fishing charter (that was not a cut at whoever stated they were, just the only one that stated what they do for a living) coming under scrutiny or cuts in your pay or any of the above stated PUBLICLY or among your city.

I don't down others jobs or way of life, but you can't compare apples and oranges here.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                                Have any of you guys that are in the union ever think about the fact that the IAFF's support of 100% liberals ( and that goes for all unions) might have something to do with the changes in bold above? You support liberals and then complain about the effects of Liberalism. YES they go hand and hand
                                I'm not part of a union nor do I want to be. But the fellows I do know that are part of them are pretty much forced to the day are offered the position.
                                Last edited by Txfirerescue; 05-05-2012, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X