Help with guitar for my 9yo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with guitar for my 9yo

My son's bday is in May and he wants a guitar, which I know zero about. The ones he's showed me have all been acoustic so can anyone help me out with a good one for a 9yo? Obviously the cheaper the better since it might end up in the closet after 2 weeks but I want something of quality.

We have 2 guitar shops here but I wanted to see what you guys say before I go in one.

Thanks

Pick a guitar that’s easy to play with good action first. If it’s hard to fret it won’t be enjoyable and will collect dust.

Comment

I recommend going to your local music shop and telling them the same thing. Odds are they have exactly what you need. Also, a lot of shops carry used equipment. I started off with a used guitar from the local shop and still own it today.

Comment

Educate yourself at a guitar shop then hit pawn shops.

Comment

Washburn Acoustic would be a good starter for him. Not terribly expensive and a **** fine instrument.

Comment

I would recommend a Taylor baby. Whatever you decide, take it to a luthier to get it set-up for him. This will go a long way in his success.

Comment

The cheaper the guitar, the more likely it will end up collecting dust, actually. You don't have to spend a fortune, but spend enough to get a well made guitar, and have someone that knows what they're doing set it up to make sure it plays easily.

Comment

If you get down towards New Braunfels, I've got a Fender Parlor CP-100 with a gator gig bag I'd make you a deal on

Comment

thanks guys, i have some direction now

Comment

If it's not a surprise take your son with you and let him handle the guitars. I know I would not want someone else, even Dad, choosing a guitar for me.

Comment

Is he looking for acoustic or electric? My son started at 10 (11.5 now) with an electric. He bought himself a cheap strat copy from ebay. After playing a little his grandmother got him a used Ibanez. Huge difference for him. The Ibanez has a slimmer neck that made it easier for him to play. Now he could sub in for Kirk on Master of Puppets and not miss a thing. Neck made all the difference for him. I think it cost $99 used. Now he can play pretty much any guitar without difficulty.

Comment

Originally posted by chadt1234 View Post
                        Is he looking for acoustic or electric? My son started at 10 (11.5 now) with an electric. He bought himself a cheap strat copy from ebay. After playing a little his grandmother got him a used Ibanez. Huge difference for him. The Ibanez has a slimmer neck that made it easier for him to play. Now he could sub in for Kirk on Master of Puppets and not miss a thing. Neck made all the difference for him. I think it cost $99 used. Now he can play pretty much any guitar without difficulty.
                        he just wants a guitar lol. whatever is easiest to play.

Comment

the world could use another bass player...the rest of us are getting older..and he will get better gigs

Comment

My kids learned on electric guitars, much easier to have success starting out. Let him pick the color and get him playing. My kid plays at school of rock now and is loving it.

Comment

My advice is to find a local instructor and have him take classes for 2 months. Typically once a week for $35-$50 bucks per lesson.

By the end of that, and with a little bit of home play/practice he should be able to make some music and he'll probably be hooked.

It's a great investment in your kid. And a gift he'll thank you for when he grows up.

Comment

Working...
                              X