Tips when buying a used 4 wheeler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips when buying a used 4 wheeler?

I think I’m going to buy a 4 wheeler for the lease - I’ve never owned one. I don’t need a beast , just something to go back and forth to the stand or just cruise around. (We have other vehicles to haul corn and such.) would you stay with a 400 or greater? Do I really need 4wd? It would not get used that much so I don’t want to drop a wad on more machine than I really need. Is buying used asking for trouble?
    Last edited by jerp; 08-16-2019, 09:07 PM.

I’ve got an older Yamaha Bruin 350 that I’ve had for years and does everything I need it too. I would say anything 325 and bigger would do exactly what you need it too.

Comment

Nothing used with a snorkel, obviously. Get something with independent rear suspension if you plan to ride it more than 30 minutes at a time. Other than that, buy something that makes you happy. Honda, polaris, yamaha, Kawasaki etc. Just go with what YOU like!

Comment

I have a 95 honda 300...great ATV. Honda's are very reliable. I also have a honda 250 Recon that hauled a big axis buck, me , my son and gear with no problems. 300 Will do all that you need & unless you are in deep mud, no need for 4 wheel drive.

Comment

You don't need 4 wheel drive. Until you do. I suggest buying 4wd unless you find an absolute steal. Things to check: lights, axle boots, CV joints and u-joints. All steering components. Age of battery. Then check under the seat and in all the little storage and tool compartments for signs of mud. If it has a snorkel, or mud where it shouldn't, run and don't look back. Check battery charge system. The stator's are expensive. Bashed up rims are another bad sign. If all this checks out good, ride it and check out suspension wear and transmission function. Water cooled, check antifreeze and also for leaks. Check oil condition and check for smoke. These aren't all show stopper issues, but they give an idea of how much you will have to spend to make it reliable and usable. Anything from 250 up will work, but if you plan to work it hard, 400 or bigger is best.

Comment

Shaft drive...…..

Comment

Honda. 4wd. No snorkel. I’d recommend the Honda rancher. Not the fanciest. Not the biggest. Not the prettiest. But a very reliable machine you’ll enjoy for a long long time

Comment

DONT GET A HONDA ELECTRIC SHIFT....
                .trouble waiting for ya....
                .any other Honda you're good ..

My Kawasaki Prarie 650 was an absolute beast
                ...I regret selling it

Comment

Check the air box make sure it’s clean. And buy a Honda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Check into the Kawasaki Prairie 360 models.

Comment

I have a 95 Honda and a 2008 Honda Rancher 420 manual shift. As others said, avoid anything with a snorkel and check all the compartments for mud. Check front CV joints and boots for tears. four wheel drive isn't a must, but just the front end weight when hauling two people or anything on the back rack makes steering easier. My Rancher is fuel injected which is much better than having to choke it to start on cold mornings. There's a 2013 Honda in the classifieds.

Comment

I would get independent rear suspension, makes a huge difference in ride quality. Look and see how clean it is, you can tell, has it been stored inside or did it sit outside all the time? Some other good tips on here. My first one was a 250 2WD, it did what you are describing. I have a bigger one now, but don't need it for putting around. Definitely don't buy one that has a snorkel on it. I would buy one that is fuel injected.

Comment

Rule 1...buy Honda

Rule 2..no snorkel or signs of flat bill kids and mud pits

Rule 3...make sure it's a honda

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Honda Rancher sounds perfect for you. Definitely get a 4x4.

Comment

Honda Rancher 420. As suggested, look for independent rear suspension. Great machines that have plenty of power and not too large.

Comment

Working...
                              X