A simple question:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A simple question:

Over the past 20 years, has the proportion of the world population that lives in extreme poverty

1) Increased by 50 per cent?

2) Increased by 25 per cent?

3) Stayed the same?

4) Decreased by 25 per cent?

5) Decreased by 50 per cent?

Without googling/searching for the answer, what do you think?

Here is an interesting article on good news vs. bad news, and how organizations take advantage of bad news to push an agenda.

From a much greater man than I. "The poor shall always be among us!"
    I am sure the data is statistical in nature, thus open to interpretation.
    I would hypothesize down by 25% knowing that develop nations may sway the results.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Probably down but that dont mean by our standards they are not still poor.

Comment

It has decreased by %50 I believe, but maybe just %25. Even though all people hear about is doom and gloom, the world is doing better on most, if not all, fronts than it ever has. Kinda makes you wonder what all the pissing and moaning is about. (I do like to **** and moan like everyone else from time to time too though)

Comment

I'd guess down 50%

But they can make up whatever number they want. They scream help feed the poor around me but then the poor don't want the food they're given. It's plain stupid. I know this because my Mom is involved. She was raised poor but back then poor people worked hard so they didn't need hand outs.

Also the middle school next to us is in a very well off area. There are kids on reduced or free lunch plans that live in an area where the cheapest homes are well over 500k. I'm sure they show up as "poor" so what's extreme poverty? Only living in a 150k house?

Comment

Id guess up 50 percent

Comment

I’m going to say it’s stayed the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

with focus on the work "proportion"
                and on the phrase "extreme poverty" which is different than poverty
                I would say it has decreased by 50%

Comment

I would say decreased dramatically, so either 25 or 50 percent.

I read an article a few months ago about how India and a few other countries were making huge strides in reducing poverty. It was pretty incredible what they have accomplished.

Comment

My guess would be 4.

Reading the article next..................

Comment

I’d guess increase but maybe not as much as 25%

Comment

Decreased by 25% would be my guess. But I haven't read the article and "extreme poverty" can be used as a broad term to push ones intentions.

Comment

Here is the answer.

Two years ago a group of Dutch researchers asked 26,492 people in 24 countries a simple question: over the past 20 years, has the proportion of the world population that lives in extreme poverty

1) Increased by 50 per cent?

2) Increased by 25 per cent?

3) Stayed the same?

4) Decreased by 25 per cent?

5) Decreased by 50 per cent?

Only 1 per cent got the answer right, which was that it had decreased by 50 per cent. The United Nations’ Millennium Development goal of halving global poverty by 2015 was met five years early.

Comment

In 2018, extreme poverty widely refers to an income below the international poverty line of $1.90 per day (in 2011 prices, equivalent to $2.12 in 2018), set by the World Bank.

Meanwhile, some in this country think unless they are making $15/hour they are in poverty.

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                              In 2018, extreme poverty widely refers to an income below the international poverty line of $1.90 per day (in 2011 prices, equivalent to $2.12 in 2018), set by the World Bank.

Meanwhile, some in this country think unless they are making $15/hour they are in poverty.
                              Well when you think about it there is a whole generations here in the U.S. who have not experienced disease, famine, lack of water, lack of mobility, never been attacked, etc etc.
                              Not being able to afford a $7 Latte every morning because you don't make $15/Hr....is not the struggle, buts it all they can complain about becouse its all they have experienced.

As I have always said...unfortunately it will take another major disaster the size of 9/11 to wake these folks up.

Comment

Working...
                              X