Tom Clum method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom Clum method

Anybody use Tom Clums material to shoot? Just curious how it worked if anybody has tried it?

I'm a new shooter, been doing this for about a year and a half. I bought his course and absolutely loved it. He goes into so much detail about every aspect of shooting, I still go back and review when i need it.

Comment

I’ve never heard of it is he local

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
        I’ve never heard of it is he local

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        No, he's out in Colorado. He and his sons run Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear. A great trad shop by all accounts. Tom Clum is a certified NTS (think the olympics) archery instructor. His archery course is just NTS training systems in an online video format, with lots of ability to interact. All the stuff I've heard from him has been really helpful.

Comment

Is he the one who teaches the deep (second knuckle bend) hook on the string?

Gary

Comment

Yes, that's him.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              Is he the one who teaches the deep (second knuckle bend) hook on the string?

Gary
              I don’t think so. I’ve been watching his vids today, and in everything I’ve seen so far he’s showing the first joint. Jeff Kavanagh has a pretty deep hook, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
                I don’t think so. I’ve been watching his vids today, and in everything I’ve seen so far he’s showing the first joint. Jeff Kavanagh has a pretty deep hook, I think.
                That's correct. My mistake.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I went through the online video series in June then spent a day with Tom last month. I’m going back in a few weeks for another lesson.

He takes the fundamentals from FITA and transfers them, to the extent possible, to traditional archery. IMO this is not a style that you can go into halfway. If you go into it close minded or thinking that you are going to just pick a few aspects to change, you may end up frustrated. If you are an established shooter you need to understand that he is going to break your shot down and rebuild it. This will take time and you will get worse before you see improvement.

If you are new to traditional archery, I think this is a great resource. If you are a longtime shooter who is currently struggling and open to change, you should find benefit. If you are an “old dog” who isn’t interested in “new tricks” you probably shouldn’t spend the money. There aren’t any magic beans, it is a lot of work.

Done properly the course should take several weeks to go through, so it isn’t a quick fix. If you plan on hunting with your trad gear this fall, I’d be hesitant to start the program until after the season.

I grew up shooting recurve then shot FITA in college. For various reasons I shot compound for the last 8 years. When I picked the recurve up again a few months ago I decided I wanted to rebuild my shot on a strong foundation. After some research I decided Tom was the coach I would follow. I’m still in the “get worse before things get better” stage, but am confident it will pay off long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Tom re-taught me how to shoot a bow, he is an amazing coach. Both in person and through Solid Archery Mechanics. I highly recommend him!

Comment

Working...
                    X