No announcement yet.

21 y/o son can't find a job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds like he needs to attend a class or workshop on how to properly fill out an application and create a good resume. local workforce centers & junior colleges do these kinds of things regularly. temp agencies are a good place to start as well by getting some work history and trying out some different jobs to see what he likes.

Comment

Put him in an apartment. Cheapest and smallest studio you can find. Pre pay 3 months. Help him move in. Say goodbye son, you are not allowed back home. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
        Is he hired yet?
        Why buy the cow when the milk is free?

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Roads View Post
          So I've been on my son pretty hard lately to find a job or go back to school. He keeps telling me that he's applied at all these different companies. And has not got one call back for interview. But then I read all these other stories about employers not able to find people to hire. Don't know who to believe.What's the deal.... Ok rant over.... Thanks
          Can you go ask him what exactly is he's been applying for and wanting to do?

Comment

Saw this sign yesterday!

Comment

When I decided to not return to college about 40 years ago my dad told me that I was allowed to live at home as long as I had a job. He said the day that I was jobless that I would also be homeless. Great motivator.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                Can you answer some of these questions?

If he just needs a job I would wager I can find him one today. Where does he live? If you're in pretty much any city I bet there are 20-100 "Now hiring" signs within 3 miles of your house.
                I was thinking the same thing....

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                  Is he hired yet?
                  What a variety of jobs just in this thread to choose from. Looks like plenty of options to me.

Comment

First off, I completely understand we all want what's best for our children. If it were me, I'd set the rule that he has 30 days before his first rent payment is due for living under my roof. If he's not willing to go to school in some form/fashion, all other financial assistance would end on day 31 as well. As others have said, at 21yoa with no formal education and an inability to become gainfully employed, its time for the reality of life to step up and do its thing. Good luck with your son, none of us want to have to make those tough decision but sometimes its necessary.

Comment

I can see the front door from my office window. A stream of people come every day to "apply for a job". I presume from their dress and demeanor that many have never been taught to look and act the part they are applying for or they are looking to check the box to continue unemployment benefits. We normally have entry level positions open because the ones that manage to get their act together for an interview can't seem to keep their act together. An ambitious 21 year old man that demonstrates a reasonable amount of intelligence and eagerness will get a job here that starts at $16/hour with full benefits and could easily move to a position that pays over $20/hour + overtime and incentive within a year. Unfortunately many of the young people we see do not demonstrate an eagerness and willingness to work hard, show up every day (sober), do the best the can and stay clear of drugs. Your son has a world of opportunity if he is willing to go get it.

Comment

This is literally the strongest job market in my lifetime. Anyone with a pulse that wants to work is working.

He's lying to you or intentionally sabotaging himself so he doesn't have to work.

Comment

is he looking for a job or hoping for a job, tx dept of criminal justice is always hiring correctional officers,

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                            Must be holding out for a management position
                            You serious clark???

Comment

OP must be trying to get the son outta bed!

Comment

He should be going to school AND working. there is no reason he can't do both even if he works reduced hours or take a limited class load. employers want to see people that can multitask.

he is 21 and has limited experience...this is not a deal breaker, but something that i am not personally familiar with. even if not paid, someone should have experience doing internships, volunteering, teaching sunday school, all things that a potential employer would value. you need to make sure he is getting credit for his "experience" even if it isn't paid professional experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X