Reminder: Practice with your hunting setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminder: Practice with your hunting setup

16 days and counting. Just a reminder to practice with everything setup the way it will when you hunt. Little things like a lighted nock can affect arrow flight. Depending on the speed of your bow a lighted nock can cause your arrow to hit several inches low at 30 yards.

We all want to bag a monster...don't let a small thing like this prevent a successful harvest

I've been shooting BH's for past two weeks and wearing the target out....

Comment

I only have one set up. Shoot the BH all the time, all year 'round.

Comment

Practice, practice and then practice some more. Especially because we have a tendency to shoot FP's all year forgetting that our broadheads may fly differently.

Comment

I have one target for FP's and one for BH's!!!

Like a lot of shooters I have my field points sighted in at:

• 1st pin = 20 yards

• 2nd pin = 30 yards

• 3rd pin = 40 yards

• 4th pin = 45 yards

• 5th pin = 50 yards

• 6th pin = 55 yards

A few years ago when I switched to 135gr Zwickey's, I decided to see how they flew compared to my 125 FP's. I was lucky and they flew perfectly horizontally. So I bit the bullet and figured out where they wanted to "zero" in at, the hard way...
          • 1st pin = 20 yards

• 2nd pin = 24 yards

• 3rd pin = 34 yards

• 4th pin = 39 yards

• 5th pin = 45 yards

• 6th pin = 50 yards

It works for me anyway...

I don't plan on shooting game out that far, but I consistently practice out to 50 yards. I find it really helps my shooting.

Duane

Comment

That's a good system TC. I just switched to a single pin and was considering doing the same thing.

That 6 yds between your 2nd pin set up is exactly what I'm talking about. You need to know what your arrow is going to to with your broadhead and lighted nock (if you use one). The differences can be huge.

Comment

Shot my BH's last night and was spot on. Wife too! We're definitely gonna be ready for the season to start!

Comment

Shot last night adding a lighted nock and a different broadhead.....was 1" low at 20 yards on mulitple shots. Will do it again tomorrow to make sure of consistency before I make any adjustments. I was getting tired at the time of the change so I want to make sure it wasn't me getting lazy and dropping my arm.

Slick Trick is hitting dead on at 20 yards without the lighted nock. Need to put the lighted nock on that arrom to see what it does.

Comment

yep....hunting from a ground blind at 25yrd to feeder. have the same ground blind in my back yard, shooting at a 3D deer at same distance, in my black "nija" outfit with gloves and head gear, with the same window open, shooting off the same chair i plan to use.....i wanna be ready!

Comment

Still new to hunting so all I've shot is FP with my bow. Finally got some BH. They didn't come with a practice tip like some do...Do you guys practice with the same ones you are going to hunt with? Also curious which kind of targets you shoot at with them? All I have is one of the bag targets. Will it stop a BH?

Comment

Originally posted by TX Headhunter View Post
                      Still new to hunting so all I've shot is FP with my bow. Finally got some BH. They didn't come with a practice tip like some do...Do you guys practice with the same ones you are going to hunt with? Also curious which kind of targets you shoot at with them? All I have is one of the bag targets. Will it stop a BH?
                      I shoot 100 grain Thunderheads and they don't come with a practice tip either. I just bought 2 packs and have 3 that I use strictly for practice. If your target isn't set up specifically for broadheads and field tips I wouldn't shoot broadheads in it. You may be better off getting a new target.

Comment

That's what I was thinking. All I have right now is one of the cheap yellowjacket bag targets. I bury FP in it pretty deep so I would think a BH would go right through it.

Comment

Originally posted by TX Headhunter View Post
                          That's what I was thinking. All I have right now is one of the cheap yellowjacket bag targets. I bury FP in it pretty deep so I would think a BH would go right through it.
                          It'll stop it. But you'll have to hack up your target to get the arrow out.

Comment

TH Headhunter, if you've never bh tuned your bow check out this video. He does a pretty good job at breaking it down.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm_mBH9lhRw"]Bow Tuning Tips / Broadhead Tuning - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                            X