X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renfro Hunting Club

Anyone on the green screen hunting it?
    Information would be appreciated.

I think "javelina" is on it. I don't know much about it anymore. There are some big deer in the area but it's tough hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
      I think "javelina" is on it. I don't know much about it anymore. There are some big deer in the area but it's tough hunting.
      He lives near it. Talked to him earlier.

Comment

I think he's across the river on PP (which I need to ask for info on), but Renfro has lost the better sections over the years and went too crazy on harvest numbers a while back. Still going to be some good deer shot yearly.

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
          I think he's across the river on PP (which I need to ask for info on), but Renfro has lost the better sections over the years and went too crazy on harvest numbers a while back. Still going to be some good deer shot yearly.
          Shooting too many? The rules on bucks are now 4.5 yearolds and older. Maybe that will help.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
            Shooting too many? The rules on bucks are now 4.5 yearolds and older. Maybe that will help.
            Our property borders it. They shot out the does a few years back. We went from seeing lots of does to rarely seeing any. It's nothing like what it used to be and the hunting pressure around it is heavy.

Comment

It'll help some. We sure slaughtered the mess out of does about a decade ago, so hopefully backing off will help with time.

Comment

Odd. I called and talked to the president of the club recently and he told me more does needed to be shot to get the ratio in balance. He said a lot of the older hunters won't shoot does. I can remember being on a place years ago where the older hunters felt the same way.
                Last edited by Bayouboy; 01-07-2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Odd. I called and talked to the president of the club recently and he told me more does needed to be shot to get the ratio in balance. He said a lot of the older hunters won't shoot does. I can remember being on a place years ago where the olders hunters felt the same way.
                  I'd seriously look elsewhere then.

Comment

Odd. I called and talked to the president of the club recently and he told me more does needed to be shot to get the ratio in balance. He said a lot of the older hunters won't shoot does. I can remember being on a place years ago where the older hunters felt the same way.
                    That's BS

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
                      That's BS
                      Seriously. That's what I was told. Hate hearing if my chain is getting yanked.

Comment

Seriously. That's what I was told. Hate hearing if my chain is getting yanked.
                        I didn't mean what you were saying was BS I meant what he was telling you was. Pretty much everyone I know of that was on that club got off. There are big deer on there but nothing like it used to be.

Comment

Yeah, I had family on it years ago. Got off because the doe murder days ruined it. I'm sure there are still good deer of course. I'm sure the president wasn't kidding about the older members not shooting does..... they are probably real mad about not seeing any deer so they are try to recoup numbers.

Personally I think MLD has completely ruined the deer populations in east Texas... I don't understand how the biologist can say a crazy amount of does per year need to be taken when only camera surveys prove the numbers... of course you're going to have a ton of pics of does when there are stands every 50 acres... deer travel long distances daily.

Comment

The results of Tower Club getting part of Renfro is a pretty good example of what happening in Renfro. The first few years folks hunted that section heavy bc the deer were feeder trained and bucks would even come running. Needed to use doe permits? - those were the sure thing stands and all 40+ members got a stand or 2 in there. That started in 01 IIRC, by 05 anything of quality was coming out of the old part of the club and it was a struggle to find a 3yo deer on the new section when initially you had plenty of options.

(Alright, the secret to actually find them was to hug Hawkins)
                            Last edited by d_e_smith; 01-07-2017, 07:12 PM.

Comment

That lease is literally 20 mins from my house, Ive lived in Huntington my whole life and know they shot the heck out of that place a few years ago. I know several people that got off because the deer numbers were way down. Javelina may can give you some recent info but if it was me I would be skeptical about getting on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X